An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

More Benefits or Negatives with Marijuana?

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by ExpertAdvice, Jan 27, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

So, it seems like since the start of time, there have been debates as to whether the benefits of use of marijuana outweigh the negatives.

Yes, there are several benefits to medically administered marijuana, in regulated quantities.
    Persons have noted that they have experienced relief from conditions such as glaucoma and other diseases. Persons have also recorded that they have experienced a renewed vitality from regulated use of this substance.

However, there has always also been the school of thought that legalizing this substance for free and general use will inevitably lead to its abuse, and then to the irrational behavior associated with such.

So, what are your thoughts?
    Marijuana.jpg
  2. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

I would say that there are more benefits than negatives when it comes to marijuana use. I've seen a lot of people live extremely healthy lives while using it, but like most things, marijuana can also be abused.
  3. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

Really? I think that there are some medical benefits, at this point that is undeniable, but apart from that it's just another light recreational drug.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Marijuana is illegal here and we have been thought that it is a bad substance. There were several local news about marijuana addicts who have killed, robbed, lost control/mind and other bad things. I have also seen some who are addicts and convinced me that it is a bad substance. There was a news too that it could be used in medicine and I think it will be just okay to be used for such purpose, just be strict that it will not be abused.
  5. Peninha

Marijuana is far better than heroine, cocaine or any other hard drug, but this doesn't make it something good in the same way that tobacco and coffee aren't good.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

It depends really. I used to smoke pot and it made me lazy. My grades suffered as well as my health due to sitting on the couch all day. However, my fiancé gets it prescribed and is twice as productive stoned as she is otherwise due to it's ability to suppress her chronic pain and chron's symptoms. It depends on the person I guess. I personally find it to have enough cons over pros that I won't even touch it.
  7. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Contributor

I think it's a mixed bag. It just depends on what you do for a living and what kind of lifestyle you enjoy living. If you are always on the go and in a professional career you probably shouldn't smoke marijuana. If you have a laid back job, or work for yourself, then you will probably be able to function fine while smoking it.
  8. Peninha

Yep, some tasks are not as demanding and we can perform them while on marijuana, but does that really benefit us in any way? I don't think so.
  9. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

This is entirely what I was going to say. It's a personal preference - in example, meant to differ from person to person. It's all based on lifestyle. If you should or shouldn't, shouldn't be a question. Just remember, it's a recreational habit that can be abused and turn into a bigger habit, as the need for THC extends in your brain. Use it the proper way and I feel it's no different than tobacco. It's a grown plant, with no additives.
  10. gitosh

gitosh Member

It is illegal here, no growing, no smoking and no selling although people still grow marijuana deep in the middle of our natural forests. Some people inter-crop the weed with other taller crops since it grows well under a shaded environment where light is inadequate. Some people who smoke weed claims it makes them stronger and are able to tackle difficult chores. I had a friend in campus used to smoke weed before revising for exams, he claimed it could improve his memory and whether it was just myth or an illusion or the guy was just brilliant am not sure but the guy used to pass his exams well. If not abused I guess it should be legalized.
  11. chanel2681

chanel2681 Member

There are definitely benefits to marijuana use but nowadays everyone is finding excuses to justify smoking. Some people actually need it for healing but most people just use it recreationally. Most people that I know don't even believe that they are addicted and they been smoking for well over 15 years. In my opinion, the negatives outway the benefits only because once addicted to it, it is so hard to stop and nowadays people are spending their whole paychecks on marijuana. That's considered an addiction and that is not good at all.
  12. Peninha

I think that most people who think seriously about this will reach that conclusion chanel, the negative effects are far superior to the positive ones, that's unquestionable.
  13. Shimus

I just feel like this has been done before in history (Tobacco and all that jazz) in the past, in multiple countries. They first fear and reject the plant, but over time come to realize the marketability and potential for gains if industrialized. It only took a set amount of time for Tobacco. I feel it's no different in today's world, it's going to become widely accepted and used here in the USA before long. Lots of states are legalizing, one by one. If not for personal then for medical purposes. I can't even say I've heard of Tobacco being proven to assist in healing and recuperation, thought I'm sure there are.. Some may offer that THC is different from Nicotine and all the semantics that follow, but in essence they're just two plants, grown naturally. Of course different additives happen after harvest, but the base plants are just that - plants.
  14. Peninha

Pretty much Shimus, tobacco was totally cool before remember? Pretty much like marijuana today, it's the coolest, but in a few decades it will not be.
  15. Jimmy Loc

Jimmy Loc Member

I am a patient of medicinal marijuana. As is allowed here in San Diego. I chose to undertake this form of treatment from experience and research. I am now a firm believer in its medical uses. Its properties help miraculously people all around the world. If not now in ancient times, easing pain and saving lives.
    To say that some amount of marijuana intake is beneficial to health is understandable if the form of intake does not cause harm. Evidence shows marijuana can help both it is true that some amount is beneficial to health. In my case medical marijuana has helped my mental condition, which was major depressive disorder.
  16. Peninha

I am glad to hear that marijuana has helped in your disorder, it's great that has medical properties, I am just against it's generalized use.
  17. Shimus

I'm not against it's usage, to me it's exactly like I said - like Tobacco. It isn't worth fighting over as it'll become incorporated into everyday lives whether we want it to or not, just like cigarettes did. In twenty, fifty, eighty years - it'll not even be a thing.

For now, I highly believe in it's medical use. I'm not a registered medical patient; I don't have a license to have THC in my system. I just do it because it helps my depressive mental condition and makes me focus on the right things in life. I believe it all comes down the personal usage. Unless you're smoking over 20 bucks a day (a gram in most places around here) you shouldn't have any issues. I smoke four or five times a day, maybe. Spaced out, to keep my mental state in one constant happy-go-lucky mood, instead of being all Edgar-Allen Poe depressed.

Some people may call that running away from my problems but I don't see it that way. I've faced them down, and dealt with them. Marijuana was just a tool to help me do it. I used to be into harder drugs, and I don't believe this is either a 'stepping stone' or 'a gateway drug' unless the person uses abuses.
  18. Rowe992

Rowe992 Senior Contributor

Well when you compare marijuana to tobacco then one would question why is illegal in many countries. Marijuana has many benefits and I think they outweigh the negatives.
  19. I feel that there is no one definite answer for marijuana. It changes too much between each individual. I can't say that I feel like its negative effects are nearly comparible to that of cocaine/meth/heroin/etc. but it does come with its own set of negative aspects. For some people it makes them extremely lazy, and I've seen others that can really crack down and focus to do menial tasks stoned that otherwise wouldn't be able to focus that long. I feel that really it's something that should be left to the individual.
  20. jonathanmr22

jonathanmr22 Member

I truly believe that the marijuana debate must be divided into recreational use and medical use; since so many individuals take advantage of the numbing effects of cannabis for their ailments, it's difficult to to equate any sort of logic against it. As for recreational, smoking marijuana differs in its effects per individual. For instance, those dealing with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder are more likely to exhibit signs of extended paranoia and tics as compared to "normal" users. Because of this, it's obvious that the consequences of marijuana use is subjective. Most importantly, and despite cannabis not being biologically addictive, it is behaviorally addictive--most tend to ignore this reality when discussing long term consequences. Since humans are biologically inclined to commit themselves to certain behaviors, especially when there are short term benefits, then the rules of classic conditioning take course.

After all of these realities become apparent, the question of whether or not marijuana ought to be legalized in a broader sense boils down to the difference between individual circumstances. How can lawmakers differentiate between those who are naturally inclined to abuse substances compared to others- whenever researchers are still battling with such questions? Mores so, how can any series of legislation be fair enough in its separation between abusers and users? These are the ultimate questions that any democratic society must decide on if a reasonable course of action must be taken for or against chemically impairing substances.