An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Most effective step?

Discussion in '12-Step Support Groups' started by keekz38, Apr 20, 2015.

1. keekz38

keekz38 Member

Which of the steps in the 12-step program is the most effective? I've always wondered, on which step people usually achieve their breakthroughs, or is it different for everyone? Hopefully people continue onto each step even if they feel they've made a drastic change before they reach the end.

What do you guys think?
  2. tckc

tckc Member

This is a really tough question because each step came as its own breakthrough for me. But I'd have to say that the *most* effective step was really Step 1. Once I really started to understand and accept my powerlessness, it signaled a very big and transformative change in both my thinking and my life.
  3. kylerlittle

kylerlittle Community Champion

I think the most effective way is to deal with it inwardly and be committed and discipline yourself through it. It's also very important to have people around you that will support you and love you and care for you, even if you mess up, they would hold you and tell you it's okay. As always, if a man falls 7 times, he rises! I keep repeating these things because I know it's helpful. Never give up no matter what, there is hope. What's important is to have faith and hope so that in the end you achieve it and it will be a beautiful victory, it will also touch others once it's being shared.