An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Most Enjoyable Things about Being Nicotine Free

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by singingintherain, Aug 16, 2015.

1. singingintherain

singingintherain Community Champion

As an ex-smoker I thought it might be nice to put together a list of the wonderful things about being nicotine free. I still get very occasional cravings and lists of positives is a great way to remind yourself that it's worth it.

For me I especially enjoy being able to taste everything fully. It took about two weeks for my taste buds to bounce back noticeably but it was so worth it! Every single food tasted better. It made me enjoy cooking again also as there were so many flavors I wanted to try again properly. My diet improved as a result too. It's hard to want to snack on fruit when your mouth tastes like smoke. I did discover that one of my favorite beers tasted disgusting to me though! That was a disappointment but a saving for my bank account.

I also enjoy having smoke-free clothing. I don't like to be around my nieces and nephews with the smell of smoke on my clothing or hair. I don't want them to fall into the same addiction I did, or think that smoking is 'cool'. They are all only very young but I worry about these things. Before I saw any of them I would always shower, wash my hair, wear a fresh change of clothes and use mouthwash. It's a bit of a rigmarole to go through all of that. It is much nicer now as I can see them for impromptu visits without having to plan ahead.

Any ex-smokers here, or those who might have quit and then relapsed, that have positives they would like to share?
  2. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I have some friends that decided to stop smoking. They are an older couple, and they told me the same thing about taste buds. They said food tasted so much better when they gave up smoking. I also ask if their breathing had improved. I ask this of everyone that has given it up. I have found that most ex-smokers all say they don't notice any improvement in breathing. This is always so dishearting to me because I want them to say yes. Because I need to stop, but I want to know my breathing will get better.
  3. stridee

stridee Active Contributor

Congratulations on quitting smoking! It is a very tough thing to do and I am glad that you were able to get through it. I think the biggest positive of quitting is that you get the satisfaction of knowing you had the willpower to do so. How many people are out there who are still trying to quit? Yet, you were able to do so because you were motivated. Also, is it not amazing that you are setting yourself up for a healthier lifestyle? Quitting is the best thing you can do for your body!
  4. singingintherain

I noticed an improvement in my breathing - but only really when I was pushing my lungs. My office is up two flights of stairs (no elevator) and I definitely noticed a change after about three weeks smokefree. I try to exercise regularly but I must admit it doesn't always work out like that! As a result of that I only noticed because of things I had to do, like walk to the office each morning. I could be wrong but, maybe your friends would notice an improvement if they increased their cardiovascular exercise?

Yes! That's another positive thing too. Even though I should really do more exercise just not smoking for the day is an improvement. I'm hoping I will be able to commit to an even healthier lifestyle soon (it is currently winter where I live and it is very cold outside), but in the meantime I am feeling proud that I can achieve something healthy each day.
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  5. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

There are exercises you can do to improve your breathing and lung capacity. I was recommended to do them by a nurse at a factory where I used to work. The main concern was fumes from plastic but she also asked if I was a smoker. She already knew I was which is why she asked. It's a bit pointless doing the breathing exercises unless you have given up smoking in my opinion.
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  6. 13toomany

13toomany Member

Well, I have to say that I am a LONG time x-smoker......over 40 years. I watched both of my parents die of cancer from most likely smoking, and still I didn't quit. Two years ago I'm not sure why, I woke up and said "I've had enough"......I put them down and haven't smoked since. I must say that I am also worried that my breathing is not much better. I am going for my first pulmonary Dr. visit this week since quitting.....it's a little scary, but I know if I hadn't quit, I think I may not have made it these next years. It is a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE addiction that takes a toll not only on your breathing but your over all health. I am proud to be an "X" smoker and hope my breathing gets better so I can get out an exercise more to help with the weight gain since quitting! LOL :eek:
  7. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

Well I think having your taste buds back is a great improvement. Nobody wants there favorite foods tasting like a cigarette. Personally the only smoke flavor I like on my food, is from a barbecue grill (YUM). Plus quitting is good for your health. Cigarettes aren't made out of the same stuff they were before, they put more chemicals in them now.
  8. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I sure hope I can stop one day. I hate being a smoker the reason why are countless. I know the sooner the better I just wish I could make up my mind, and just do it.
  9. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

I did relapse a few months ago, but the things I enjoyed the most was also the taste of the food, the fact that I could smell anything, I would feel the smell of the nature when I was outside. I also enjoyed the fact that I had more time in a day and of course more money, I created myself a few patterns to follow, I started eating a lot of tortilla, turns out to be my favorite snack. Sadly, one day I just relapsed.
  10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Tasting good food and being a be to breathe for me. The flavors of all things I eat now just pop like they haven't for many years. I am also much more active because I can breathe and not hack anymore.
  11. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

No lung pain. Now that I'm smoking again, my lungs absolutely burn some mornings when I wake up. Even when I can't cough up anything substantial they still hurt like hell.
  12. singingintherain

That's another thing I really noticed whenever I relapsed! I had never fully appreciated how much it was burning my lungs. I suppose it must have when I first started but I can't remember. After a few weeks not smoking that first cigarette really burns!
  13. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

Yup. It's weird how that happens. When you first start it takes awhile to get those physical symptoms. But now all it takes is one day of smoking to bring those symptoms back.
  14. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

First thing that comes to my mind is that I can finally exercise every morning without having to make a stop every five minutes or so. My endurance and health in general are greatly improved since I stooped smoking.
  15. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I can run a lot more and not have trouble breathing, so that's a plus. My health in general increased since I don't smoke anymore.
    I also have a lot more money to spend, and I'm pretty stocked to finally be able to afford everything that I like.
  16. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I think the health issues would have to be the biggest part of being smoke free. Not just the running or exercise, but just the overall well being. Your sense of taste and smell get better, you can breath easier, that kind of thing.

Things you don'tt realise you miss when you do smoke.
  17. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

This is great news to hear. I am glad that you made this choice and took the necessary steps to quit smoking. I am sure you feel a lot better now that you no longer smoke. Maybe your list can help others see the benefits of nonsmoking. I am sure it wasn't easy but the benefits are rewarding.
  18. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

My sense of smell is also a ton better. I can taste things better (I guess smell and taste are pretty interconnected, so they might go hand in hand). I no longer have that stale smoke smell on my clothes or in my hair. I feel like I'm so much more fit - I can do a lot more activities without that feeling of being short of breath, which used to be tough, especially since my husband is very outdoorsy and fit.
  19. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Yes the senses come back. The lungs thought this is what you have to attempt to rejuvenate. The photographs and the footage of what the lungs look like from smokers is not good. I would say you have to do some serious detoxification after smoking for any length of time.
  20. jbbarn

jbbarn Active Contributor

My very favorite thing about being an ex-smoker is not being able to hear myself breathe at night It was so awful to be lying there, trying to go to sleep, and hearing myself whistling through my nose. I knew that was not a good sign! I just feel better overall since I quit, but that was the biggie for me.