An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Most important thing?

Discussion in 'Share Your Rehab Experience' started by Rosyrain, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I have never been to a rehab facility, but know those who have, and I was wondering what the most important thing was that you got out of all of it, other than actual sobriety. In talking with others, it seems like the most important thing they learned about was success. What about you?
  2. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

I have never been to a rehab facility either; but I have loved ones who have and the most important thing they talk about is having a feeling of belonging. They know they are not alone and they are not the only ones suffering from addiction.

They also express that there is no feeling of anyone judging them or making them feel low. It is a good place to start your recovery process. you cannot do it alone.
  3. remnant

remnant Community Champion

My case is similar. I have a brother who has been to the rehab numerous times until he somehow summoned some willpower to fight his addiction. What I observed is that there were people from all professions and backgrounds and such contacts are valuable for networking and keeping tabs on each other since they view themselves as one large family. One also gets to appreciate that noone is immune so as not to drop their guard.
  4. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

I have not been to a rehab, in fact I was not addicted to that extent. I was able to overcome addiction by alternate healing methods such as water therapy, naturopathy, Ayurveda, meditation and yoga. The most important thing for me was how to express my emotions verbally.
  5. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

I spent a small amount of time once in a rehab center, and it just helps being around people who are looking out for you, whether that's the staff or fellow patients. That can be really important when you hit rock bottom.
    kgord likes this.
  6. LeonasSword

LeonasSword Active Contributor

My case is kindred. I have a brother who has been to the rehab numerous times until he somehow evoked some willpower to fight his addiction. What I observed is that there were people from all vocations and backgrounds and such contacts are valuable for networking and keeping tabs on each other since they view themselves as one immensely colossal family. One additionally gets to appreciate that noone is immune so as not to drop their sentinel.
  7. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Well rehab sounds valuable from that aspect. We all benefit from knowing somebody cares, and in a rehab facility, I think it is really good that caring is conveyed by all who go there and are a part of it. I think they are valuable just from that aspect. We can never have enough caring in our life.
  8. Bozz

Bozz Active Contributor

My older brother and his wife went through rehab (different ones but at the same time).

He was bruttally honest about what the most important thing was: he was cut off from his life, had no control over his actions while in there, no choice but to get through the withdrawl.
    He said it was hell, but the best thing for him, he was not in a place at the time to make his own correct decisions.

After a while he could think straight, he wasn't in the grip of his addictions.
    He tooks up painting, music, writing....anything to pass the time.
    He made some friends in there.

He has been amazing since and I respect him so much for showing what he can acheive.

Unfortunately his wife has relasped a few times and now they're sepperated but he still looks after her.
  9. The most important thing I've learned from a rehab facility is being able to love yourself first. Because if you don't love yourself then how are your gonna take care of yourself? It's not selfish to show yourself some love. Beating addiction starts with loving and respecting your mind and body.