An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Mothers Against Drunk Drivers?

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by letitherobe, Jun 22, 2015.

1. letitherobe

letitherobe Member

IS it fair for persons whom have been convicted of drunk driving offenses in their lifetime be required to have RED lettered license plates? To alert the community to the potential of the danger of a drunk on the road or in their neighborhood? Considering the number of fatalities caused by drunk drivers, should they (like convicted sex offenders are banned from school yards and parks) be restricted from going into taverns and liquor stores?
  2. Totalarmordestine

Totalarmordestine Senior Contributor

It's hard to say whether it is fair, because that is personal preference. As far as reasonable, the answer depends on which aspect of your question we talk about.

I believe that the altered plates are fair for safety perposes, so long as it is not a condition of parole under which police are allowed to pull you ever without any other probable cause at any time, as it is in Ohio (My state, although we just use yellow plates instead of standard white ones). That is a violation of your civil liberties.

As far as both sex offenders and drunk drivers are concerned, it is ridiculous to prevent them from buyings alcohol, or to prevent sex offenders from being near children. In both cases, it is all beside the point. Let me explain...

In the case of drunk drivers, I believe the problem is that we are focusing on the wrong issue. If we want to save lives, raise the age kids can get their drivers licenses, impose conditions which make old people prove they are still able to drive, and find a way to eliminate people from falling asleep at the wheel, which is currently killing more people annually than drunk driving. Until that happens, I will not believe the government or anyone else is taking the driving deaths seriously, and they are just scapegoating on the drunks.

In the case of Sexual Predators, they are less likely than any other felony level offender to re-offend. Of those convicted over 90% will not in their lives re-offend, and their rate of re-offending is not at all connected with their proximity to schools or kids.

All things considered, I believe we should quit with the sensationalism, so that we can address real problems, and save real lives.
  3. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I think those who got convicted already of drunk driving (because a life lost due to their driving) should not be allowed to drive for certain period of time until they have proven themselves responsible enough to drive again. Or they should be supervised for a period of time or something, not just allow them to drive just after being out of the jail. That is for his/her own safety too since drunk driving could also endanger the life of the drunk driver.
    rightct likes this.
  4. tarverten

tarverten Senior Contributor

Although I think it is a good idea, it most likely won't keep the people that drink and drive off of the road. If someone is under the influence, they probably don't care what their license plates look like. However, the person driving the car would have a bad reputation around the community.
  5. blastguardgear

blastguardgear Senior Contributor

People who drink and drive should be have there license removed from them permantely and should also lose their freedom so many families all over the world have lost loved ones because some idiot thought that they could be able to drive home after a drinking session or the other one they are not paying the price of a taxi .......well in that case there price should be there freedom .......and the other one i would insist on happening as a sobbering thought for the death or injuries that they have caused they should be taken to a morg,and showen what ther drink driving has done to some one else's life ,or what there actions have caused to that person and how that couple of extrs glasses have done to them ,why shouldnt they get to see what there drink driving has really caused ......im telling you ,you do this to say the next 5 drink drivers caught over the limit and what they would have to say about it after seeing for them selfs what has happened ,would stop a lot of people from drinking ......as you can tell this makes me so mad that this goes on ......and it should just never happen to any family !!......take care xx
  6. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Truth be told, anyone convicted of drunk driving shouldn't even be allowed to drive EVER again as far as I'm concerned.

If they have a red tagged plate, then it's their own fault. The public has every right to know a potential threat is on the road. Driving is dangerous enough as it is these days.

If any case, if a threat is possible, the public at large has every right to know for their own precaution.

Sure, there may be people that stay sober for the rest of their lives. But ask yourself, would you gamble YOUR life on that?
  7. shadowsupernature

shadowsupernature Senior Contributor

if they have a DUI why are we giving them a plate for their car take the car away from they and make it so they can't buy another one. guess what then they won't get a second offense.
    L_B likes this.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

While I can understand the sentiment, I think if a driver gets convicted and serves his punishment, I'm not sure it would be beneficial to brand him for the rest of his life.

You'd probably end up with a mob mentality, every night he'd be coming out to his windows smashed etc. And while some people may think he deserves that, I'm not sure if that's the right road to go down.

Depending on the severity of the offence, taking away the license all together might be more appropriate.
  9. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

They put people's lives at risk. So yes, let them be ridiculed, that's nothing compared to the risk they put on others. Alcoholism sucks, but when you hurt the ones around you, there's nobody to blame but yourself.
  10. rightct

rightct Community Champion

This should be fair enough. I would also like to add that whenever they apply for their driver license again, they should also pay a pricy fee, just so it can hurt them where it does the most. Now I'm not being cruel, but really... my country is amongst the first ones in the European Union at car accidents caused by alcoholics. This should stop!!!
  11. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I agree with your addition. It is just fair to make the streets and roadways a safer place for everyone. There are also lots of road accidents here related to drunk driving.
  12. Bonzer

Bonzer Community Champion

While you like to empathize with people who have problem drinking, you cannot put public lives at a serious risk. Whether someone likes it or not, there must be strict laws enforced on the roads to ensure public safety.

The weight of embarrassment and public ostracization can instill a sense of guilt and shame among drunken people and can eventually bring down the drunken driving incidents. However, if a driver's record is clean for a couple of years after red-tagging them, they should be allowed to resume normal lives.
  13. Auril

Auril Active Contributor

I would say it's not fair to do it to someone who was caught once driving under the influence. Now, if someone didn't learn their lesson the first time and gets caught again....then making them identify themself to the public through a special license plate or something similar might be a good idea! Recently here we had a guy arrested for DUI for the 13th time. It's obvious there needs to be some new consequences for DUI.
  14. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

I think it is fair for them to have these plates. These red plates do not even compare to the damage they have caused their victims. They need to have these plates too so that other people can be wary in the road.
  15. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

I really don't think that they should do this unless a person is a repeat offender. Now if a person killed someone, that is a different story. Now if they killed or injured someone in any type of way then of course that is a red flag. Now if they injured themselves, then that is also another story. If there was no harm done, I think that they should have restrictions but not be outed like that. We have all made our mistakes.
  16. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Their access shall not bee restricted from bars, taverns, etc. But I agree with the red license plate thing. In my country there is no such prevention measure, but novice drivers (the ones who have less than a year driving experience) are required to have red license plates. This is pretty useful in my opinion, but drunk drivers should have one "warning sign" as well.
  17. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I don't think it would work considering you don't have to own the car to drive it. If is was convicted of drunk driving in the past I could easily jump into a friend car a drive. That red letter license plate is basically useless now. Unless the owner of the vehicle is a convicted drunk driver, then you can implement that kind of rule.
  18. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

That would be degrading in my opinion having a red lice sent plate for getting convicted of drunk driving, like seriously. Maybe a tme limit before driving would be good.
  19. Jenga

Jenga Active Contributor

To be perfectly honest, I think it's something that everywhere should incorporate. Drunk drivers, really, really anger me. I know it's really difficult to make decisions when you're in such a state, but drunk driving is such a selfish and absolutely horrendous act. It's like speeding in my opinion, I mean fine, get yourself killed, doesn't bother me, but you're involving EVERYONE else on the roads. Pedestrians, people with kids in their cars... It's disgusting....
  20. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

This is a really difficult subject for me. My child was run over by a drunk driver. She's doing much better but still not 100%. I'm not sure she'll ever be 100%.

The mom in me says throw the book at them in any way possible. The other side of me says that I would need to give this more thought. I'm all about protecting freedom and liberty, and I believe in justice rather than retribution.

All in all, a real "hit me in the feels" subject for me. With that, I'll say good day now.