An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Motivated because of Learning

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by OGRICHBOI, Feb 27, 2015.

1. OGRICHBOI

OGRICHBOI Member

When I was a kid, I never took school seriously. I passed my classes, but never made an attempt to get on the honor roll or get an A average. As I grew up, I realized that this "not going to try" attitude would not work in the later years of high school. My love for learning was not fully developed.

Now high school is old news. A decade later and I am getting back into learning. I never realized how much fun and satisfying learning can be. My favorite subject in school was Biology and Science. Whenever I am not at work, I am researching about the latest developments in the science world. It keeps my brain running and distracted.

Learning is not as bad as it sounds. You can learn about what you love to do. Sports, Music, Entertainment. ANYTHING. Keeping your brain alive and stimulated feels a lot better than just sitting around watching TV and eating potato chips.

Never stop learning.
  2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I am not all that interested in most science, but I do like to study and do research too. My interests are in nutrition, crafts, and crime stories. If I get interested in a high profile case, I can spend hours reading up on it.
  3. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

I agree OGRICHBOI, no human should ever stop learning because life is a journey and it requires continuous seeking of knowledge to exist in nature - only a ignoramus would ever stop learning, and I advise people not to be one of these people. The most important thing I opinion to learn is "Know Thyself," a quote from Socrates or the Oracle of Delphi, and whether people believe it or not, knowing yourself is a life-long engagement. Also, I recently read that Warren Buffet and Bill Gates were asked what superpower they would like to have if gifted with one, and both had wished to "read faster" because it would allow them to learn more things in a shorter amount of time - I thought that was cool to know and share.
  4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Keeping your mind busy in general for rehabilitation. If you stay home and do nothing, depression and addiction will creep back in. Keep yourself busy. Stay active. Go wash the car, read articles on the internet. Do something to spark an interest in your mind.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It was said or stated that "Life is a continuous learning process". So, we are learning things whether small or big in this life for all we have experienced and will be experiencing. Right that keeping ourselves motivated to learn more will do good and keep us away from bad vices.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I really agree with this. Going to college really taught me a lot of things about life and the underlying philosophies of it. I love learning different things. It somehow gives my life a goal, a focus, a new perspective.

I am actually thinking about pursuing an M.A. degree in English Literature. I hope I'll be able to get that one in the near future. :)
  7. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

When you finished a college degree it doesn't mean that you will stop learning. As long as we are living there is always a time to study further and more about many things in life. During our childhood days some of us are not serious to the fact that we are still young and does not knew yet what are our aspirations in life when we grow up. But the moment we become adults and more mature in life within ourselves we may feel that we want to learn more and as they say learning is a continuous process and its good to keep your minds buzzing!
  8. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonder Active Contributor

Oh yes, that is so true! Since I was young, I was always taught the value of reading. The more you read, the more you learn. Even when you are just reading a novel for example, it still teaches you a lot of things because it exposes you to a lot of areas that are not your usual environment. I personally would also wish I can read as much!