An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Move To A New Place?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Mockingbird, Dec 13, 2014.

1. Mockingbird

Mockingbird Member

Sometimes in order to beat addiction the best thing to do might be to move to a new place. It is easy to fall back in old habits when nothing feels different . Reminders and memories are easily reignited. If you move to a new place everything is new and different. It might be stressful but it certainly is better then walking back into the way things were prior to sobriety. Does anyone else agree?
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I would agree to an extent. Moving to a new area or a new home could help you battle an addition, or help the recovery process, assuming you have the resources to make it happen. I would say most people dealing with or recovering from addictions don't have the resources to make this happen with any ease. Therefore, this is a great solution for those that have the option, but so few people have said option today.
  3. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I think moving away from the influences of others is a good idea. That being said I also believe a person has got to learn that addiction is more about self awareness then about Geographic's. You can remove yourself from the temptations of a lifestyle only so many times. Ultimately it's not where you live, but how you live.
  4. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

To some extent I agree with you as I'm also prone to taking this option whenever I feel bad about something. I immediately want to start anew in a distant place where no one knows me. Although it appears like you're just running away, moving to a new place will actually enable you to step outside of your comfort zone and struggle to be a better person without relying too much on family and friends. Caveat: you have to choose wisely lest you fall prey to a vicious environment that might only impede the recovery process.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. I think having a new environment is very helpful, but I think it doesn't do much unless you are also able to change your mindset and behavior because chances are if you're still the same type of person then you'd probably just attract the same type of people regardless of where you run to.
  6. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Moving to a new place could help one beat an addiction but it's not that easy. What if work commitments can't let you move out of town or to another neighborhood? Or maybe it's the money [you don't have enough].

While it certainly is a great idea to move on and leave the past and the addiction behind, not everyone can be able to pull it off. And as Charli says if one doesn't have the determination to shake off the addiction no matter where they move they'll still find themselves going back to the old destructive habits.
  7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

I have met people who have actually packed up there belongings and moved away because of bad influences. Most of them say that they had to get out or they would have fallen back into the same routine and possibly kill themselves. So yeah, removing yourself from a bad location is a good idea and will help in the recovery process.
  8. drc52

drc52 Active Contributor

I partially agree here. The problem is that moving away can hurt constructive, healthy relationships. However when people find themselves surrounded by only bad influences, moving away is certainly the best option to self improve.
  9. 003

003 Community Champion

My aunt had been sent to many places, but nothing significant happened. Everywhere she moved to, she's just become as addicted as before, even worse. Moving her to new places just increase her compatriots of her drug abuse. If someone is really to change, wherever she is, she'd do it, because wherever it is, it's challenging. I am not saying that it's futile. Some who are really willing to change prefer to leave the place where they became addicted to drugs to forget the bad past and to resist the imminent temptation. What I am saying is that what matters is the the willingness of someone to change.
  10. juno

juno Community Champion

I think a move can be symbolic of a fresh start and it can be helpful if the last place you lived in has painful memories of the time when you were using. However, moving alone will not take care of the problem. You have to be one strong person to beat an addiction just by moving.
  11. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

I have a father who, like 003's aunt, has moved a lot, been in "non drinking houses" and all. It looked like he was trying to run away from his problems and hoping that it would be easier somewhere else but like karmakeeper, recovery is done through self-awareness and determination. The new fresh start only works if you really really keep working at keeping it a fresh new thing.

Though it is a good idea to be away from bad influences if you cannot stand it.
  12. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

Yes I agree a change may be what one needs to get clean. The common reason why most people fall back into a habit is their friends. Their friends will persuade them to keep drinking or abusing drugs to be part of a group. Moving to a new location and making new friends could be the answer to a clean life.
  13. joshua minaya

joshua minaya Active Contributor

I certainly agree with you on this point because it has really worked well for a lot of people in the past.
  14. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

For me, I made a whole lifestyle overhaul at once, this included moving to a new city. It wasn't just because of addiction issues, but many issues I was facing in my hometown as well. It's not always as easy as up and leaving though. But if you don't have a good job, family, etc. then getting a fresh start and leading a new life can be a lifesaving opportunity.
  15. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I grew up in a small town and I have met people that came to my town looking for a fresh start and new environment. So yes there are many people that pack up and move away from bad inluences. Sometimes it is the only option left when everything you knew from your previous home is a bad influence.
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think that's a good idea, but you should have enough guts to risk moving to a new place. But yeah, sometimes, it is the best thing to do if you really want to start a new beginning in life.
  17. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Yes, sometimes moving is the only way for people to remove themselves from an addicting situation. Getting away from friends, who do not have the same resolve to remain clean can be detrimental to recovery. At the same time, a user can always find a substance almost anywhere. There has to be a desire and commitment to stop.
  18. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I definitely agree with you. It's better to move away from the area where you can easily get drugs and had the friends to "jam" with too during your drug-taking days. Plus you will get a clean slate and reputation in a new city, so people won't see you as that junkie anymore. They will respect you by default.
  19. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

It could be a good idea but bear in mind that we cannot escape what's inside our heads. Wherever we go, the memories will always remain with us. Only time can assuage the pain.
  20. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

Very true! We can not escape what is in our mind. It is also true, a person can find a substance of choice wherever they are and connect with others who are abusing, too. At the same time, I do know people who have moved and it has been a contributing factor (along with their own conviction) to stop. Sometimes, when you are in the same environment or circle of friends, no matter how hard you try not to associate with them, they just keep coming around or you see them around town.