An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

[Movie] Requiem for a dream

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by amin021023, May 5, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I'm sure many of you have seen this movie, it shows the truth about drugs and what really happens to young people who go to drugs.although it went well for the actors of the movie, they got known in this movie and did good for themselves later on.
    [​IMG]
    SunnySkies and trevermorgana like this.
  2. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Active Contributor

This has to be one of the most disturbing movies I have ever seen. I watched it a time when I was going through a break up with my ex who was suffering from various substance abuses. Every sniff, every drop being injected, every pellet being ground and their effects surging in through their veins and dilating their eyes filled me nightmarish horrors. The best and worst was the uncontrolled teeth-clattering the mother caught on after consuming those weight loss pills. I don't think I can watch this movie ever again!
  3. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have not watched this movie yet, but by the looks of it, it seems like an interesting film. Thank you for sharing this one. I'll try and check it out.
  4. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

Disturbing. Haunting. I always described watching this movie like sitting on an electric chair. Sounds extreme but it is an eye opener of a film. It shows you the dark side of things, and on coney island none the less (I have a friend who used to shoot up who lived there and the movie hit home for him). I strongly recommend watching Basketball Diaries if you ever have the chance.
    amin021023 likes this.
  5. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I've heard of this movie but have never seen it. Someday I will have to check it out.
  6. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

I can imagine how this film can effect people with the same experience. your response confirms the fact that this film shows the reality about drugs.

Actually the directer insisted on choosing actors who have or have had experiences with drugs so everything would seem real, and the result is an eye opening film who must have helped many people.
  7. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

I haven't seen this one yet, though I've heard a lot of things about it. I may just give it a shot since it looks like an interesting movie and it has a good plot.
  8. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Active Contributor

I haven't watched this movie yet either. Looking at the synopsis, reviews, and experiences people had, I'll probably watch it later. Though, with family and friends due to its disturbing nature and content.
  9. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

I never saw the movie, but I read the book. I’m not sure how much different it is from the screenplay/film, but the book definitely did shows the harsh realities of a drug-filled lifestyle. So seeing it in visual form must be all the more harrowing.
  10. Peachdejour

Peachdejour Member

This movie is really gripping. I did not want to keep watching, but I could not take my eyes away. I did not talk the entire time it was on. I did not talk for an hour after it was over. I did not realize it was a book though. Excuse me while I go add another item to my Amazon wishlist.
  11. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I have not heard of this movie, but it may be the answer to someone's issues. As scary as it is, it may scare someone into not doing drugs. I don't know if I would enjoy watching it.
  12. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

The movie is pretty much right on point. I have been a heroin addict for years now and that is pretty much how it goes if you stay in the game long enough... Although, trying to recover from my addiction, I can no longer watch that movie. Even though to a non-addict the whole movie screams "don't use drugs", all I think/see during it is "I need to go get some and get high"