An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Movies or music?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by 003, Mar 13, 2015.

1. 003

003 Community Champion

Which one do you cling onto in times of great depression for inspiration and for recovery. Personally I use cling on both, but I gravitate more towards music. When I'm in really difficult recovery period, I just don't want to do anything, I'm so lazy. What I just want is to lie down in bed and close my eyes, but the thing is I can't simply sleep. But if I kept on being awake while I'm lying down, there's a big tendency for me to get back to what I shouldn't. I need destruction, and I take it into music. Once that I have listened to music, all the passion gets back as well as strength.
  2. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

I'm guessing you mean distraction instead of destruction.

Anyway listening to music is just fine. So is watching a movie. Just don't forget to move around or go outside. Depression typically takes hold of you in idle times i.e. when you're lying down and relaxing. It's a much more worthwhile activity and more conducive to do activities or projects rather than just watching movies.
  3. calicer1996

calicer1996 Community Champion

That's a great observation. I personally prefer visual over auditory because they stay with me longer. Music is just music, but a movie is music + video. So, definitely a movie.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think both could be good depending on the person. To some, music lifts in a way that no other medium could, no matter how seemingly more complex they are on the surface. Sometimes the simplicity of music tells a lot more of a story and a lot more emotion than a three hour movie could. On the other hand, getting inspired by movies isn't all that bad or difficult either.
  5. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I would have to say movies and music. Both help me when I'm feeling down, it just depends on what type of movie or song that will lift me up.
    stariie likes this.
  6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I try to go with watching a good movie if I can. There are lots of movies out here so it is fine. I would be listening to some old school jams with a friend of mine who likes it.
  7. pandabear1991

pandabear1991 Active Contributor

I prefer music myself. Usually when I become depressed (thanks to forced mental health treatment) I tend to close my eyes and just think. Movies, I just have a hard time focusing on when I am upset/depressed. Even if it is a movie I have been excited to watch or have always enjoyed watching. Sometimes its hard to listen to music as well, but I try to listen to music to help lift me up when I am down. Doesn't always work the way I want it to, but I try.
  8. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

When I listen to music I am totally relaxed, and when I watch movies I go away from my problems for some time,
    and calm my emotions, so if I would have to pick music or movies. I would pick both, haha. :D
    stariie likes this.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I would choose music too. Movies, or television, require twice as much attention and that's not always possible when I'm feeling upset. I can't always concentrate and end up feeling even worse because of it. Music is easy to enjoy, you just put it on and get on with whatever else you are doing.
  10. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I guess movies are my thing. Music is too repetitive and melancholic at times. Movies, on the other hand, take you off to a different land and make you forget about your depression for a couple of hours. If the movie's good enough, it would have you thinking over it even after it's over and that's exactly what the human mind would benefit from after a period of being plagued with depression.
  11. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I like both. A good movie is something that can entertain me, make me laugh, make me think. If I'm not in a great mood, I don't want the movie to be too deep, I just want a relaxing, calm, funny, entertaining movie.
    If I'm listening to music, I like to listen to different kinds of songs. Music can lift my mood so long as it's the right kind of music, which can vary in type from day to day.
  12. jon

jon Active Contributor

I usually start listening to music in times of great depression. It makes me feel much better and I feel some happiness.
  13. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Movies, music, Japanese culture, books, window shopping, daydreaming and family bonding are all therapeutic to me. The most accessible of these coping mechanisms are movies, music and Japanese culture since I can basically just look them up through my laptop or when I'm at work with a personal computer. Stories and sounds are soothing to the soul.
  14. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

I'm all for listening to music while doing a project as well. It keeps the mind off of the repetitiveness of work and brings you a little more enjoyment in your menial tasks. Sometimes I get too wrapped up in the moment and burst into song myself, and that can be a little embarrassing if you're not by yourself.
  15. kana_marie

kana_marie Community Champion

I go for movies. When I'm depressed I gravitate towards depressing music. I end up twice as depressed as I was to begin with. When I watch movies,though, I go for horror like I do the rest of the time. I can watch them day in and day out and they will never make me feel worse. Also, when music is playing I completely focus on it. When I watch a movie it's more background noise than anything. I can distract myself and watch it or I can think things through while it plays in the background.
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I like a healthy combination of both. Still a good movie usually is more within reach and if I need a laugh a comedy is my first pick. A movie calls for focus and to take me out of a depressed/stressed state the movie is going to come out on top most times.

The more I type and think, the more undecided I am becoming.:) A movie never gets me high, but my music can. I think I am back to a healthy combination based on my mood and surroundings.
  17. Lizel

Lizel Community Champion

The bad thing about music is that it's a cure for a moment (the time you're listening to it) and later everything comes back, so the real cure in recovery is to learn how to solve problems face-to-face.
  18. chica22

chica22 Member

Music. I like to listen to really relaxing music and shut out the world. Of course, a sad song can you make you feel even sadder, so it depends on what you listen to.
  19. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I agree with you Lizel especially as it relates to the temporary fix, but I say a temporary fix is better than no fix at all, so you enjoy it while it last.
    Again I agree in relation to that relaxing music that can shut out the world and that sad song that makes you sadder. Still I insist that both music and movies can have a positive impact on our stressful lives.
  20. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Both. I love music as much as I love movies. Music somehow makes me feel relaxed and I could sometimes do self-reflection while listening to music, specially if the lyrics are very relatable. On the other hand, movies always keep me entertained, and sometimes, there are some valuable life lessons you'll get from watching them.