An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Movies that inspire you to give up addiction

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Vinaya, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

There are lots of movies about drug abuse but the one that I find very inspiring is Requiem for Dream. The movies follows the dreams of four people who destroy their life by doing drugs. This movie tells how damaging is drug.
    bhu and anorexorcist like this.
  2. rz3300@

rz3300@ Senior Contributor

Requiem For A Dream was a very disturbing movie, but I can certainly see how it would motivate someone to give up the drugs. The first movie that popped into my head was The Basketball Diaries. I always liked that movie and it seemed to have more of an effect on me than other movies.
    bhu likes this.
  3. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

There's an underrated Sandra Bullock film, I think it's called 28 Days. Great performance by Bullock, who plays an alcoholic struggling in a rehab program. Critics didn't like it that much but I thought it was very moving.
    bhu likes this.
  4. Mara

Mara Community Champion

The very first movie that I watched which involves drugs was Scarface starring Al Pacino. I was very young when I watched it and it has made an impression on me. The final scene was epic and brutal. From then on I always correlate drugs with violence.
    bhu likes this.
  5. SCSullivan

SCSullivan Member

Catch me if you Can, starring Leonardo Di Caprio. I know it's not about drugs, alcohol, or anything similar, but what it is about is self-belief, and the mountains you can move if you just believe that you can actually do something. The thing in common most addicts end up having is low self-esteem and stigmatisation from society. To really believe in yourself and that you have the power to change things, is vital in any step towards recovery.
    bhu likes this.
  6. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Even though it doesn't exactly have anything to do with drugs, Interstellar is a very inspirational movie for me. Not only is it will orchestrated, made, filmed, directed and acted out to the extent of just blowing my mind every time I watch it, I have drawn inspiration from it. It focuses mainly on a man who has to abandon his family and go through with a suicide mission that has his life almost guaranteed to be ended, but its for the sake of mankind.

He has to sacrifice everyone he loves and in the end his life, but with sheer determination, cunning and drive, he survives and as a result mankind is saved. If you view it in a metaphorical way, you can learn a lot from it.
    bhu likes this.
  7. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

Hmmm... For me, it would have to be:
    • Thirteen. I watched this when I was in college. It's a film about a girl named Tracy who got into gangs, drugs, alcohol, cigarette and all the things we wish our kids won't have to experience as they grow up. I was horrified when I first saw this. The second time I was enlightened just how damage drugs can do to such young people.
    • Human Traffic. This film is so ingenious in that it shows the viewer the world of drug intoxication without even showing anyone in the film taking drugs. It brings up every possible effect of drugs without you even seeing one character snuffing or puffing them.
    • Requiem for a Dream. I cannot leave out this classic. I love the portrayal of the characters. It just shows how a person can damage himself for the sake of taking drugs.
    • Trainspotting. A very haunting film showing how drug addicts resort to crime making to fund their addictions. It also shows the hardships that the protagonist encountered during withdrawal.
    bhu likes this.
  8. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Clean and Sober.
    bhu likes this.
  9. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Tender mercies is a very good movie when it comes to the ravages of alcohol, and the Verdict shows how alcoholism can reek havoc on someone's life. The Days of Wine and Roses is another. One of the most depressing ones I have ever seen is Leaving Las Vegas. It was indeed horrible.
    bhu likes this.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
  11. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Nº15 is one of my favorites, it's called limitless and it's a crazy story about a crazy fictional drug, really entertaining, but no quite inspirational.
    bhu likes this.
  12. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

That movie was the first thing that came to my mind when I read the title of this thread, it's truly an amazing and realistic movie, I think that what I like the most about it is the way they show you different types of addiction and how, at the end of the day, damages the hole life of the person involved.
    bhu likes this.
  13. oportosanto

oportosanto Community Champion

Actually I don't think that movie realistic at all as it's very extreme and with a fictional drug. Also, at the end of the day he continues to operate with the drug and that doesn't make sense.
  14. bhu

bhu Active Contributor

My favorite inspirational addiction movie is 28 Days with Sandra Bullock. It really opened my eyes about the impact your disease of addiction has on those around you. And the effects on self, as well. Sometimes, you just have to stop and open your eyes. If you can't do it yourself, someone else will gladly make you do it. It'll keep repeating until you truly wake up from the disease and choose sobriety, as hard as that is.