An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Movies that inspires you to cope with mental issues

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by Vinaya, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Vinaya

Vinaya Community Champion

Life is Beautiful (1997) is a beautiful Italian movie about the life in Hitler's concentration camp. The movie is a light treatment of holocaust. Life is Beautiful follows the life of a Jewish family, where the father with his faith in life, saves his family. It is a good movie.
    Do you have any favorite movies that inspires you?
    KaseyHopeMartin likes this.
  2. Coolkidhere

Coolkidhere Community Champion

The most recent film I can think of is "Inside Out." Although it's more of for kids, I liked that it tackled on the different emotions that a child might have. It is very inspirational for anyone struggling with their emotional issues or mental issues. It is a light and fun movie to watch but at the same time it's packed full of lessons.

Then another recent one would be "Silver Linings Playbook." This one showed the struggles of a person who has bipolar tendencies. It showed the emotions and issues that a person with bipolar disorder might have. And furthermore, showed that with the right person, your condition can be managed.

An older one might be "As Good As It Gets" which is a film about a man suffering from OCD. It's such a feel good movie because he was able to manage his condition in the end.
    KaseyHopeMartin likes this.
  3. I'll be honest, when I'm feeling the issues of life bearing down on me, I grab a little tub of ice cream and pop on "Bird Cage" with Robin Williams. Laughter is the best medicine and even though I have watched that movie a million times, and can quote the whole thing almost by heart, it's still the funniest movie I have ever seen.

Two of his most inspirational movies I have ever seen though are "What Dreams May Come" (warning" you WILL Cry) and "Patch Adams."
  4. serenity

serenity Community Champion

8 Below is an inspiring movie about rescuing animals. The Pursuit Of Happyness is also an inspiring movie about being able to rise above your problems.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I loooooved Inside Out! It made me laugh and it made me cry - and you're right, despite a lot of people probably seeing it as a movie for kids since it was animated, I absolutely think it tackled a lot of issues about human behavior and the way we cope with different life events. I think it's a must see!
  6. Mara

Mara Community Champion

I love that movie as well. At first, I really was irritated at Sadness because she always seem to get in the way of Joy. But the movie showed that that feeling is inevitable. That is is normal to feel sad. And that happiness and sadness, and all other emotions should be balanced.
  7. BBarnett22

BBarnett22 Member

An amazing movie full of encouragement and hope is 'Patch Adams' with Robin Williams.
    A remarkable movie in every single sense taking a man with mental issues at the beginning and eventually becoming an amazing children's doctor.

I also agree with 'Inside Out', an amazing children's movie that adults will be in awe over.
  8. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Community Champion

Pursuit of Happyness is an amazing movie. I'm glad you mentioned it, I'll have to watch it again! Perfect for the things I'm experiencing in my life right now.
  9. serenity

serenity Community Champion

No problem! I also haven't watched the movie in a long time, I think I watched it last 2007 or 2008? Time to refresh my memory on the movie's story!