An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Movies that lift your spirit?

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by springbreeze, Nov 11, 2014.

1. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

When you are feeling down, there's nothing like a good movie to lift you up.

So, when I feel sad, stressed, or out-of-sorts, I like to watch romantic comedies like Only You and French Kiss. I also love Tyler Perry's Madea series. Madea is a hoot and some. :D

What about you?
  2. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

Sometimes I like to watch movies that the struggles of someone else and it serves as an inspiration to do better. Speaking of Tyler Perry movies, I like one of his more serious movies. It is one called Deeds. I also find Hotel Rwanda to be inspiring, although it is very sad as well. This movies shows me that if a person can survive genocide, you can survive anything, even addiction and you need to put in a lot of work to survive.
  3. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I like musicals like Annie or Mary Poppins. I also like to watch SciFi Action films because no matter how bad my day is, it is no where as bad as the characters day in those movies. LOL
  4. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Any Bruce Lee movies inspire me! Lee had that way to invoke the warrior out of a man or woman, and he did it all simply by expressing himself honestly through his film movements. His ability to display martial arts with ease, is what drew so many people to revere Bruce.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I like most inspirational movies out there, especially the biographical ones and I do prefer ones that are more accurate. Some of them tend to bend the truth a little too much for the sake of entertainment and while I wouldn't contest that it does work and I do still enjoy it, I'm somehow a little but turned off afterwards when I realize it's far off from the original characters or events.
  6. springbreeze

springbreeze Active Contributor

I like Deeds too. It didn't really uplift my spirit in a happy sort of way. But it did give me hope for mankind. And it inspire me to not take money for granted and always be aware that many others have it harder and I should help others whenever I can.

I'm not a big Bruce Lee movie fan. But I do love a lot of the martial arts movie coming from Asia now. The cinematography is brilliant. And the Buddhist-influenced words and displays of honor and inner-strength is very inspirational.
  7. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

I'm with you Springbreeze, I love to pop in a good movie to kind of make me feel better, when I'm down I like putting on a good comedy to cheer me up. Any of Adam Sandler movies will do and I also enjoy some of Tyler Perry movies they are funny! This is something good to do when we are bored and have nothing it seems like to do. It works for me, thanx!
  8. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

When I feel burnt out, I just rely on light romantic comedy movies. Or simply any funny movies perk me up. I like The Heat starring Sandra Bullock and Melissa Mc Carthy. It featured drug problems in the family that was not so seriously taken as it was funny. Nevertheless, the reactions were somewhat realistic.

Other movies that lift my spirit are true-to-life inspiring films like Pay it Forward and Freedom Writers. There is hope when people help and show kindness to others.
  9. mkCampbell

mkCampbell Active Contributor

I'm a sucker for a couple of things. I could watch any Bob Hope and Bing Crosby movie at anytime. Romantic comedies are way up on the list as well as Rudy and Apollo 13. Brian's Song is my classic go to movie.
  10. Krrizal

Krrizal Member

Romantic comedies like 50 First Dates and 27 Dresses always cheer me up. But family movies such as the Home Alone movies give me a warm feeling, as well.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Rudy is a good uplifting movie. Not about drugs or anything. But It was inspirational, an had a lot of emotions involved in the plot.
  12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Whenever I feel lonely and depressed, I also like watching romantic comedies such as 50 First Dates, Pretty Woman, Love, Actually, and When in Rome. But if you're into more inspirational and uplifting movies, Life of Pi, Unbroken, Forrest Gump, and Cast Away are the real deal.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Watching movies can really change ones mood. I like watching comedy films for good vibes. Just like The Mask, Shaolin Soccer and other films of Jim Carrey.
  14. katherine25

katherine25 Senior Contributor

I could be having a horrible day and sometimes all it takes is a movie to lift my spirits. I love comedies most. Lately, I have been watching the Heartbreak Kid a lot, I love Ben Stiller, so for me it would have to be that movie but there are others.
  15. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I love watching movies which I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around. This includes movies like "Memento", "Inception" or "Interstellar". The plot is engaging and prompts me to think even after the story is over. There's little I can do - I am simply a sucker for mysteries.
  16. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

I like the Real Steel, starring Hugh Jackman. Sure it has robots in it but there are human emotions attached to it as well. It uplifting to watch and it's a family movie. Everyone can watch it.
  17. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Boyhood was a great movie. Although it had heavy psychological undertones, it affected me so much I felt a sense of relief after watching it. I love to watch animated movies too. Watching them during your downtrodden moments can really be uplifting. Big Hero 6, Despicable Me, Finding Nemo, Ice Age, Monsters Inc., Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbor Totoro and many more have done wonders to my psyche and my emotional well-being.
  18. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

Ah, yeah watching funny stuff is a good idea. I watch comedians do stand up when I need a laugh. It's all a good distraction. The problem with movies is that they brain wash. You have to watch with an objective eye. Realize there might be something there attempting to mess with your head. Make you act a certain way or think a certain way. Television is like that too. TV is dumb and blatantly obvious about it though today as far as I see it. The older TV shows were full of major brainwashing messages but they were much slicker about it.
  19. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

I have a few "go to" movies for when I'm havin' a bad day. One of my favorite movies of all time is Joe Dirt--"life's a garden, dig it". This one can always make a bad day better. I also love Grown ups with Adam Sandler, as a matter of fact, most of his movies do a pretty good job of lifting me up, but that one and Big Daddy are two his best in my opinion.
  20. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I love to laugh, so I'm not into inspirational movies as I am with comedy movies. Watching crude shows like South Park and movies really gets me going and I temporarily forget my problems as I watch those kinds of shows.
    LindaSuzanne likes this.