An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Moving can be a good thing

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Rosyrain, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

For those who are going through the recovery process from drugs, moving away from the place where you did the drugs can be a good thing and offer you a fresh start. For one, you really would not have any connections to finding the drug if you moved to a new city, state, or country, and you would be really busy taking in your new surroundings and getting established.

I know that this logic would not work so well if your addiction is to alcohol because it is sold everywhere, but for other drugs, moving could be the key to sobriety.
  2. 6up

6up Community Champion

If you are idle at one place then moving to a new location can be advisable. This will enable you to avoid the friends who lured you to drinking. It will be best if you find some work to do at your new location.
    lynzyh28 likes this.
  3. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

Moving away from the negative influences is a great idea. If it's not completely possible, try something like hiking, or camping. Spend time with nature, and try to find inner peace. Moving away even for a short period of time might help someone a lot.
  4. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

Moving away can be a life changer for all the right reasons. When you move away from what and who you know, you get to meet new people who do not know your history and are less likely to judge you. You can find a new job and also take some time to explore your new surroundings.
  5. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think there are both positives and negatives to this big step. Of course, the fresh start concept can be a good thing because you're directly removing yourself from the associations to drug use -- different surroundings, different friends, different job, completely afresh. However part of me also thinks the associated stress from moving, and perhaps not having that support network could also present challenges. I think it really depends on the individual and their personal situations and coping mechanisms as to whether it would be a good idea.
  6. superbobby

superbobby Active Contributor

Moving can be a good thing. The new environment can motivate you into having a fresh start. Make new friends and hopefully you can put your past behind you.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Moving out of your old home that contains too many bad memories of your past addictions is definitely a good thing. It would open a new chapter in your life. You could start afresh and meet new people.
  8. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

People might see it as running away from their problems but for a lot, the best thing they can do is move away from a certain place or a specific environment to help to get their head together. I'd you associate a certain place with drug addiction, then leaving that place will only help you start a fresh.
  9. medievalmama

medievalmama Community Listener Community Listener

While moving can be helpful, the problem is, "wherever you go, there you are." Unless I'm willing and taking action towards recovery, I'm just trading in for a new set of problems/connections/bad influences/bad memories. I've heard this called 'taking a geographic.' For me, I can always find a new connection/bar/doctor, etc. So, just moving, alone, will not cure addiction.

Having said that, when I was 2 months sober I literally moved halfway around the world. When I hit bottom, I was living in Kansas. I had no family anywhere near me. I was doing nothing (except using and drinking), and had no job or home. When I was in treatment, my mom, who was living on Guam, offered me a 1-way ticket. When I got there, I had a choice. I could seek out new friends or connections, or I could seek out 12 step meetings and work towards recovery.

I can always go to a bar and find someone to drink with. It's only in 12 step meetings that I can find people to not drink (and not use) with.
  10. FuZyOn

FuZyOn Community Champion

It's always good to get away from the place you're living in, even if it's not a permanent move. Things around there can remind you of the past thus making you more vulnerable to relapsing.
    Old friends can also be a detriment.
  11. Clairelouise84

Clairelouise84 Senior Contributor

I think you are right, some people consider it running away from your problems but I think moving can be a wonderful thing to do to help you get a fresh start and a new perspective on things! It was the best thing that I ever did and I am not sure that I would even be alive if I had stayed where I was which is kind of a scary thought.
  12. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Moving away from old habits and influences would help immensely. However, there are some that I know, it doesn't matter how far they move away, they can never runway from themselves. Most people have internal problems and they manifest themselves during usage. But the underlying problem will always be the individual. They need to have themselves check out in the head.
  13. rcdpink

rcdpink Active Contributor

Getting into a new environment is always a good thing. I believe it has the ability to relax your mind and if you go to a place where you know only a few people, then you have the opportunity to build new relationships. I personally would find myself in the company of others that can keep me preoccupied and in a social setting where I don't get to go off and get consumed with drug taking. Just walking up and down sometimes and getting out of the house is helpful. I sometimes look into the skies and it just gives me that fresh feeling.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I agree that moving could be a great move for somewhat who likes to recover. Specially if the place is where there are lots of temptations. Choose a place where it is peaceful or there are support groups. Or there are useful things to do rather than going back to addiction.
  15. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I agree that this can be a good thing and gives one a chance at a new life without drugs. I don't think that it will work if you are not motivated and have good support.Anyone left to their own devices will find places where they can obtain drugs if they want them. People need restrictions that will help them build up a resistance to temptation. They should not be left alone or without support.