An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Munchies

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Metalhead, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Metalhead

Metalhead Member

I used to have this issue a great deal, and all the more in the recent past, when I was a bit chubbier, however now that I'm more concerned with my health, I am by all accounts improving on the munchies issue, and soon going to be drug free for 6 months. In the event that I needed to nibble on solid snacks like celery or carrot sticks, weed brought about a significant hunger. I would likewise drink diet site or tea while eating. In the recent past, when I was bigger I couldn't hold myself from eating throughout all day, my munchies would be more terrible. I couldn't prevent myself from consuming Pb&j sandwiches and different things. Presently, I've made solid substitutions and I don't generally even want that king of food that much.

What do you all think? Do you think the munchies is genuine or would it say it is simply that we let ourselves know its genuine so that is the reason it happens? What food did you consume to "fight" the munchies? (Expecting you are wellbeing, drug free and weight stable, in the same way as me)
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Anything that has a caloric intake of 1/4 a daily serving (be it vegetables, junk food, or health food) will satisfy that urge you feel. A healthy alternative to snacking I might suggest to kill the hunger is two things that are high in proteins together with each other, but relatively low calories. This could be a spoon full of peanut butter on celery (try it, it's good) or something that requires a dip that could be low in fat. These munchies could also be filled by rice crackers, as they fill you up after awhile.
  3. juno

juno Community Champion

Actually, high protein foods area good way to curb cravings. So, if you were eating peanut butter that is not so bad. Meat is more filling, so maybe try to eat a good meals with meat or high protein like beans and that may help you in between meals. If you are snacking, go for zero calorie foods like celery.
  4. jperd21

jperd21 Active Contributor

Foods high in fiber may also help give you that full feeling. I used to struggle with this and would eat until I was sick. I had to actually smoke more to make the hunger subside :/
  5. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Senior Contributor

The few times that I have gotten high in the past, I never had this overwhelming urge to eat. I know that most people get the munchies all of the time but I was not one of those people I guess. Maybe it's because I'm still new to it?
  6. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

You know, I had tried weeds a few times before my twenties, and I never got the feeling of being high. And then, one summer, I smoked with friends and before I knew it, I was in Subways, eating a footlong, getting a box of cookies (the cashier liked us and sneaked it to us!) and buying ice cream in the supermarket. We were in the car and my friend and I decided to just eat the ice cream with our hands. Our other friend looked as us with a serious "WTF is going on with you guys" look on her face and we just laughed about it, keeping at our ice cream eating.

That's the first time I realized what "being high" and "munchies" meant. So I do think munchies are genuine (I think studies have been made about it, too?), but probably the fact that you expect it makes that you already give yourself the leeway to act on it -- after all, not every smoker gets munchies. It could be something you provoke for yourself, yeah. For me, though, munchies also make that I just enjoy whatever food I have a lot more, even simple things like pasta with butter. So even if I don't really smoke weed, I really enjoyed to have a bit before dinner came, and then the food tasted this much more amazing.

Just a thought, I guess.
  7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

Yes, I was eating a lot when high, but at the same time my mouth was extremely dry, so I drank as well, a total mess as you guys can imagine.
  8. Shimus

Sometimes, you should get them, other times not. It entirely depends if you've had a full meal plan or schedule and you're eating foods in the right amounts. If you're not hungry going into it, you'll have a slight urge probably. Negligible even. When you are hungry, munchies will kick in super overtime. That's when people go on devour sprees. It's really just a protein fix is what you need, from an energy bar (candy bar) to a meat meal.

But you're not different. A lot of females I know get the 'munchies' a lot less then guys do. I wonder if there's anything to that....
  9. meenz

meenz Member

Oh god, I used to get such bad munchies. Even if I didn't smoke I would sometimes get munchies, and it would drive me crazy. I gained a ton of weight from just eating and eating nonstop, it was terrible. At one point I even gained 20lbs. I was devastated. I never knew how to combat munchies and I wish I had the advice from the people above when I had the munchies. But I did not so I would constantly snack on chips, chocolates, or even make an entire meal for no reason.
  10. timelord731

timelord731 Senior Contributor

I always get the munchies and I personally believe that my stomach transforms in a black hole for food. My way of combating this is whenever I much out, I take time the next day to work of the excess.
  11. Gelsemium

It's never wise to eat too much and this is just one of the side effects of using cannabis. So those who say that this is an ok drug are obviously wrong...
  12. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

My son smokes he's grown has a job, home and a life. So he isn't setting around all day long getting stoned. I still wish he didn't smoke simply because it's against the law. He will text me at night, and ask you got anything sweet:p We live close to each other so he could be here in under 5 minutes. I think it's funny cause he is a cutie pie, and so darn sweet. I love that boy he has a heart of gold, and would help anyone. If I say no he will run to town load up on sweets. Come by to give me some cause I didn't have any:)
  13. davidj96

davidj96 Member

The munchies are something that I will never forget. Before I started smoking weed,I did not really eat that much or spend a ton of money on food. Once I began the habit though, I found myself eating all day long and going over my budget buying all types of foods. It was bad for my health,as well as my pocket.
  14. Gelsemium

Yes, it's quite unforgettable. I recall being on McDonalds and eating leftovers that people left on the tables... Disgusting? Yeah, that's what drugs do to us.
  15. Shimus

Yup. I know this feeling. Trust me, you're not alone. They turn us into monsters.
  16. Gelsemium

Actually I was not exactly feeling like a monster and I didn't even care about what people were saying, I was just happy to eat free stuff.
  17. Shimus

You weren't feeling like a monster, but to other people in public with a normal, non-biased, non-hopped-up point of view: you were that "weirdo" who ate leftovers off peoples table, IE: a monster of sorts, not your personal state - it was perception. You didn't care; others might have or given you the eye...
  18. Gelsemium

Yep, that is a fact, they were probably seeing me like a homeless person or weirdo, that is a fact, I was not following social norms for sure.
  19. Shimus

I don't think I've been that bad yet, but I did have one case where I ended up eating a bunch of food from my friends place and then I revisited it back to him in his toilet, if you get my drift. It wasn't a good night. I just wish the urge was more easily sated.
  20. ThatKidWithTheFace

ThatKidWithTheFace Active Contributor

Sure, drugs can turn some people in to monsters. I've seen it time and time again.

But I've never seen anyone turn into monster from Marijuana :p
    PrideKidd likes this.