An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Munchies

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Metalhead, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Community Champion

I think that drugs do enhance what is in our inside because they release us from our social inhibitions, if we are monsters inside drugs will help that monster come out.
  2. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Obviously, if you lose your social inhibitions, you'd be more apt to do silly stuff, or not genuinely care what other people in public think of you and this is what you see:

[​IMG]

But in reality you're just making a fool and reverting back proper etiquette and culture to the stone ages. With the loss of our inhibitions the loss of our more civilized side starts to show. And definitely isn't helped by the fact we picture ourselves in a positive fashion after doing them, even if others do not. People like sense of "freedom" but really, it's not.
    Gelsemium likes this.
  3. Gelsemium

LOL, that is a nice one Shimus, that is why it's something dangerous to use drugs, we lose notion of reality. I understand how that might look cool in a way, but at the same time it's certainly not.
  4. starbaby

starbaby Member

I belive 100% that the munchies are genuine. I can eat a whole meal, and as soon as I smoke, even just right after, I will feel the need to nibble! Luckily, my main issue with weed is that it makes me so lazy, that most of the time I just ignore the munchies!
  5. Shimus

That's usually what happened with me, lol! :D

"I'm hungry, but I don't feel like fixing the situation. Too much effort."
  6. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I think the best way is to be prepared for it. I you know you're getting the munchies every time you smoke and still want to be healthy, then just stock some healthier snacks. I know there are lots of alternatives to potato chips out there and there are even flavored drinks with no calories that can serve as substitutes for sodas.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Munching on salads or mixed fruits would be a good alternative for you. It's going to require some creativity on your part or on whoever cooks the dishes in your house, but doing so will help you avoid gaining weight or stacking up on carbs and sacrificing your health.
  8. Gelsemium

That is true, we can look for healthier alternatives so at least we do not harm our body as well with what we eat. Munching on salad doesn't sound too appealing though.
  9. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Maybe the Cookie Monster?
  10. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

If you want to avoid getting fat from the munchies, try eating healthy alternatives instead of chips and anything that has to do with ice cream. Instead of Taco Bell, go for some fruit and vegetables. Plus, you can eat more healthy stuff and stay thin.
  11. Gelsemium

This is the big deal with marijuana, everyone faces it lightly, we don't see it as bad, but as something cool that get us high and in a good mood and this perception is hard to change.
  12. starbaby

starbaby Member

I find that keeping pre-portioned food always available makes it much easier to eat healthy. If you chop up a bunch of fruits and veggies, or buy nuts, pretzels, etc, and make little containers or baggies full, they will always be within reach and you won't find yourself flying through an entire container of pretzels in a sitting.
  13. Shimus

This. I also feel fresh fruits and veggies help a lot. Organic food in general is not only healthier for you but tastes good. Avoid high sugar or high sodium items. You can find something high in protein but low in those two other categories - feel free to snack on them, that's what the "Munchies" bring out.
  14. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

I never felt that getting the 'munchies' was something exclusive to smoking weed. There are a lot of drugs that end up having that effect one way or another. I mean, look at alcohol. Why do you think so many pizza places open late night spots next to the bars in their district? You are more likely to eat junk when you get blitzed.
  15. PrideKidd

PrideKidd Active Contributor

Oh the days of Munchies...

I would get high and after an hour and a half or so would proceed to "vacuum" out the fridge. I sure do not miss being the proverbial black hole that could eat just about anything. I now have a house full of sweet fruits and plenty of veggie..I feel like I can snack like the munchie days without having to feel guilty :)
  16. Charli

Charli Community Champion

This is a fairly accurate description I think lol. My friends always eat so much when they get munchies from smoking and they usually order pizzas after then it's gone within minutes. They never get fat though because they are very active people and they are always at the gym or jogging.
  17. Gelsemium

I wonder if that cookie monster figure was created under this regard, but I really don't think so. :p We tend to find this funny because it's just eating, but it's in fact a side effect of consumption.
  18. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

Generally a person would eat food like they never had and use hands to eat some foods which usually would be eaten with fork and a knife and don't care what others think of it. Munchies word is used to describe food, mostly and a person may eat more than is needed as the drug makes them hungry and maybe more than full at the end. Eating more than you would normally may get people thinking you are kind of like a glutton when you are not so it can give you a urge to eat a lot more.
  19. Gelsemium

Yep, the brain is pretty much messed up at those times so we can eat the strangest combinations and we could care not less if someone is watching or not.
  20. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I remember feeling more hungry than usual when I was consuming marijuana, so that's one of the negative side effects of the drug. I think that apart from the fleeting "happy feeling" that it gives, the radical mood change and sudden increase in appetite can be detrimental to any person, especially if you want to save money, because you'll be buying more food than normal.