An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Music

Discussion in 'Sobriety Tips and Inspiration' started by megankl, Nov 16, 2014.

1. megankl

megankl Active Contributor

Music was a huge thing that helped me to say "no!" I made myself a playlist on my iPod and every time I felt like turning to my demon I instead put on that inspiring playlist. It really helped me. Do any of you have songs that really helped you get through?
  2. jsscjcbs

jsscjcbs Member

Cool, and yes music definitely helps. Can you share what those songs were, maybe they can help other people out as well. I recommend Angels and Airwaves: We don't need to whisper and Todd Rundgren: Healing.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Oh yes. Music does inspire and motivate people and those in need of inspiration and power. For me some songs actually trigger emotional responses. So yeah, sometimes the best the best methods are the one that are under our noses and most importantly, it's free!!!!
  4. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Inspirational songs can be great. Anyone who's religious can listen to any of these great songs:

This Is My Desire — Michael W Smith

Redeemed - Shackles Are Gone.

Other good songs for those who are irreligious:

Hold On — Wilson Williams.

This Place Is a Prison — the postal service.

Hate Me - Blue October.
  5. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I don't have any specific favorites but classical music has helped me a lot in calming myself down whenever I feel anxious or bored. It's especially relaxing for me when I listen to it while I do calming activities like taking a hot shower or drinking tea.
  6. Daniel Lucky

Daniel Lucky Active Contributor

Music is a big help, just be careful of what music you listen to. Me I love music with a positive message, when I first started in my recovery I tried still listening to rap and when I say for me it honestly had me on the verge of relapse. I found myself with the urge to use, it seemed like the music I was listening to was encouraging me to use. So I started to listen to music with a more positive message and it worked. Good luck!
  7. Serena

Serena Active Contributor

I think that music can be very healing and inspirational. Anything by Midnite or Dezarie is healing to my soul and it helps me to push forward persevere. I feel that just listening to instrumental-like music is also inspiring and helpful. I really love to listen to the traditional drums and wooden xylophone of my country. To me, they are very peaceful and soothing.
  8. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Community Champion

I don't have an addiction other than cigarettes, but I do have a few problems with Anger Management (which I was about to do a thread on) that I use music to keep calm with. When I get really frustrated to the point where I am about to blow, I walk away with my headphones on playing hard fast music (like CombiChrist) and walk as fast as I can. It helps to cool me down quick and keeps me from swinging.
  9. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

I don't have personal experience with addiction, but I am a huge supporter of music therapy for many different conditions, including addiction. Whether it's inspirational songs, calming instrumental, fast pace get up and go music, it can all be extremely useful to someone dealing with addiction. Having a playlist tailored to your own unique mental and emotional needs could be very helpful as music have a powerful effect on one's mood.
  10. Krrizal

Krrizal Member

These are great songs! Thank you :)
  11. jade870

jade870 Active Contributor

Music can do a lot for some people, music can have a positive impact in a person's life depending on the type of music one would choose to listen to. Some people can be inspired by music alone, sometimes a person can relate to the music or two a situation in their current life. Music can be used for all types of different things, some exercise to the music that they listen to. I think in some situations music and help a person cope with what they're going through and possibly give them the strength to overcome the day. So I could really see how music would help a person that is going through drug rehab are overcoming a situation with drugs.
  12. wulfman

wulfman Senior Contributor

There are so many genres and so many artists. I myself listen to music when I am stressed. It really helps me relax and regather myself. Some songs have the opposite effect and make me agitated so choose wisely ! But I definitely see a therapeutic value to music.
  13. Brady2121

Brady2121 Active Contributor

I believe the right kind of music can help some people. I personally like to stick to instrumental and inspirational music. It can really help calm your nerves and relieve some stress.

I must also recommend Christian music. It can really inspire you to fix your problems. However, if you are not a religious person, you may want to find another genre of music.
  14. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

This is a really great idea. I love to listen to music. I use it mostly to put myself in a good mood. It's funny how music can really affect you and make you feel different things. Change your mindset.
    Dancing to music you like can be really good for you. This would work for addiction. I dance to music a lot when I am happy too. Sometimes when good things happen to you music just adds to it.
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Even if the artist doesn't look inspirational, like Britney Spears, Kanye West, and Pink, they do have some inspiring songs, like Stronger for both Britney and Kanye, and Give Me A Reason for Pink. The 1st 2 songs inspire me while the 3rd, I just think that the lyrics are inspiring. And let's not forget everybody's favorite motivational song and my personal theme song.. Survivor by Destiny's Child!
  16. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have a lot of favorite songs that keep me sane and focused. I owe everything to music. I don't know what my life would be like without music. Some of my favorite songs are Bloom by The Paper Kites, Disenchanted by My Chemical Romance, Blackbird by the Beatles, Lost Stars by Adam Levine, and Coming Up Roses by Keira Knightley.
  17. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Community Champion

I agree with you, music is an excellent way to relieve a lot of stress but it also works for keep ourselves motivated and empowered, I think that's the best thing about music. I have a lot of favorite songs that helped me on bad times, but my favorite one is Let It Out by Jake Edwards.
  18. 6up

6up Community Champion

Yes, I used to listen to underground hip hop whenever I felt stressed up. I had a smartphone that I had bought and I could listen to mp3 songs. Music really helped me to understand life more better. I found that as an excuse whenever I wanted to avoid my friends. I do go online and buy songs cheaply.
  19. Nergaahl

Nergaahl Community Champion

Yes! Music is a big part of my life and it's one of my biggest passions! I've always felt pleasure in discovering new music and discussing albums. It also helped me get through my dark times and feel joyful.

I don't have a certain band that inspired me, but I can say that Solstafir and Opeth have a special place in my heart. In fact, these are the bands who got me and one of my friends together!
  20. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

I do believe in the power of music. :)
    Listening and/or singing can be really relaxing. It can be a motivating factor too and can make one feel happy or relieved.