An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

1. ThatKidWithTheFace

ThatKidWithTheFace Active Contributor

Music is a healer. Making music is a wonderful thing and is one of the few things that helped me get over my addiction. So, if you're having trouble finding something to keep you occupied when you're trying to kick it, give music a try. Pick up a guitar or something. Even if you suck (which, if you've never played before, you will) it can be a great help.
    Winterybella and ClassyTulip like this.
  2. RoseK

RoseK Active Contributor

I find that music is indeed a very powerful force. I played an instrument over twenty years ago (a clarinet) which made me feel like I could tempt music from the very earth and my soul. I also sing which, when done to satisfy yourself first, can be a intense cleansing experience. What instruments have you played?
  3. d4rk3n

d4rk3n Active Contributor

Music has always been a very powerful weapon. It helps you to channel your inner positiveness. They are great source of motivation. Even if you can't sing or play an instrument, just listening to songs makes a huge difference. Good music calms your mind, and provides relief. It also gives you the strength to fight against your addiction.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Nice to know that music had helped you get rid or get over of your addiction.
    I also find music a therapeutic thing or tool which can help us change moods or feel relaxed. Singing is also a relaxing activity. :)
  5. ThatKidWithTheFace

Glad to hear that y'all feel similar. Rose, the only instrument I'm any good at is the Harmonica, but I mess around with the slide guitar and the jew's harp.
    RoseK likes this.
  6. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

Music is a great helper! A lot of my friends find that listening to it and practicing an instrument helped take their minds off of the treatment they're undergoing, and made the process a lot easier. I guess it's just useful to have something to keep you distracted from drugs. It's also amazing to see how people react to different music: some like metal, some like trance, some like pop. Whatever floats your boat.
    MarkM34 likes this.
  7. downsouth

downsouth Active Contributor

Different genres of music affect me in different ways. I assume the same goes for other people. Music with lyrics usually gets my mind thinking of the past or the future so it does not help me relax. Classical or jazz helps me relax and if I am lying down eventually my mind shuts down and I go to sleep.
  8. stariie

stariie Community Champion

I agree, music can be very healing. The "wrong type" of music can agitate a situation, so it's good to find something that soothes rather than excites, depending on what a person likes.
  9. ThatKidWithTheFace

That's a good point, stariie, about the "wrong type" of music. I generally have to avoid Grunge music when I'm feeling weak. That used to be my nodding music.
  10. Cryyo

Cryyo Member

Music has always been at the base of my life. I have been a musician since I was in elementary school, so I know where you are coming from. There is nothing else in life that can inspire me the way music does. But stressful music can lead me back to the wrong things too, and bring back memories that make me think about the wrong things.
    MarkM34 likes this.
  11. ThatKidWithTheFace

The memories are what'll get you. There are times that I'll start reminiscing and start to almost feel as if I was high.

An addicts mind is a strange thing.
  12. MarkM34

MarkM34 Member

Music is a great healer and if you surround yourself with positive upbeat music than it certainly can't hurt. There are various links on the internet under 'Healing Music' which might offer additional benefits, but certainly worth making a list of songs that can pick you up when you're feeling below your best.
  13. weepforsweep

weepforsweep Member

Music will put you in good mood if you listen to a certain type. Music conveys every emotion, so you just have to search for what you want to feel.
  14. LitoLawless

LitoLawless Senior Contributor

Music is my therapy for most things in life. I love to hear a song that defines your emotions exactly. It feels as though the artist is speaking to you. There's nothing like a good song to take a whole lot of pain away. I usually wake up in the morning with a song in my head. That's how powerful music is.
  15. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I agree. Listening to good music is already therapeutic enough and making it surely helps a lot more since you are able to keep busy and also it allows you to express yourself so you don't end up bottling all the emotions in your head. I also think that getting a final product at the end helps a lot with self fulfillment and self confidence and it's why almost any productive hobby should probably have the same effect.
  16. ProShell

ProShell Member

In my experience, music can be used to take your mind off of things, but it is important not too get too caught up. A lot of songs are also triggers for people, because they associate that kind of a tune or the specific songs and lyrics with things that they don't want to do anymore.

Know yourself first, and do what's good for you.
  17. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Music does sooth the savage beast. I do play the guitar and I've found the writing songs have helped me immensely in coping with my problems and dealing with everyday life. Perfect for people trying to stay sober and clean. It works. Try it.
  18. fire421

fire421 Member

Music produces dopamine just like drugs do so it can give you a slight high. I started creating music last year and it has helped a lot with my problems and I know it can help other people.
  19. muthoni

muthoni Active Contributor

I agree music is medicine to the soul. I sing in the shower and it makes my day so much brighter. I listen to rock all day and sing along when I can. When I wake up every morning I sing worship songs before I get out of bed. I do not make a very good neighbor because we have thin walls. I will give my vote to music any day.
  20. Tournique

Tournique Senior Contributor

Music is indeed a dopamine producer and will give you a fuzzy good feeling. But that is linked to the genre you are listening to. I'm pretty sure music can sooth such stages of life or even accentuate them. Thing about music like spices, they can make or break the mood