An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

1. Peninha

Peninha Community Champion

That is true, but these days with all the videos on tv I even get mixed up, do I like certain songs or I just listen to them because they have a nice video?
  2. cowboyz4life

cowboyz4life Member

Music is great therapy. People use it just to cope with their everyday lives. Music tells stories that most of us can relate too. We feel we are not alone when we listen to the great sounds of music. It provides us with comfort in hard times.
  3. daregicide

daregicide Member

Music can help anyone find their peace. I love to listen to music when I am upset or stressed out. There is nothing else out there in this world that can calm me down like music.
  4. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

Music helps me focus. Instead of allowing it to just rill up my emotions specially when I'm upset, I drown my self in songs, it blocks out every other thought and even my sense of time and all I can see is the thing I have to finish.
  5. Peninha

Music can be a hobby as good as any other, if we are listening to it or making it and that's what really matters, that we remain occupied doing something that is not drugs.
  6. meenz

meenz Member

I definitely agree with this post! Music is a wonderful way to distract oneself from everything else in the world; whether you're picking up a guitar and playing along to your favorite song, or just listening to someone else play. From my own personal experience, I play piano. Playing piano helps me stay focused on only the notes and song that I am trying to play. But when listening to music, one should choose carefully what they want to listen to. If you listen to the wrong type of music it can drag you back down to your lowest point.
  7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Yes. I totally agree with all of you. Music is considered therapy. Listening to some good and inspiring songs relieves stress and tension. I would recommend classical music because the rhythms and beats of this genre are very soothing and relaxing, it would uplift your spirits and boost your mood.
  8. Peninha

I was watching alive inside this weekend and I was stunned to see how people react to music because music reaches parts of the brain that are really deep. Music is a great help!
  9. adfnio

adfnio Community Champion

Creativity will give you somethig to do so you don't sit there in idle mode. As long as its a positive activity and it keeps you away from using, then keep on doing it.
  10. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

Music has been incredibly therapeutic to me throughout my life, as long as I avoid certain types during the rougher spots. I started taking voice lessons when I hit a low point as a teenager and it was so incredible. I gained a lot of confidence and could channel my emotions through my voice. I’m thinking of getting back into it if I can.

And around that same time I picked up a guitar, which is a great way to get my mind off things and keep me busy. Teaching myself a new song is always a confidence-booster, especially when I get good enough at it to sing and play it simultaneously (something I really never bothered doing until a few years ago, so I’m still quite the novice).
  11. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

This is so true. I have an open mind when it comes to music. I listen to different types of genres regardless of whether the songs are contemporary or not. When music touches you, you know what you're doing is right. It gives you comfort and a peace of mind. That's why it's one of the best healers out there.
  12. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

Today was one of those days that music pulled me out of the dumps. I've been quite stressed of late and find myself hiding at home in my shell. Today I went to one of workplaces and my son had some music videos playing and the music just got me completely out of my rut. I got so high on the music, it was hilarious to watch. Ask me what the lyrics were in most of them and I could not tell your fortunately, but the rhythms were enrapturing. Music!
  13. juulicob

juulicob Member

I agree with this whole topic. Music has been my therapy for years. I play drums and creating music with my guitarist boyfriend is our true outlet. It's something I enjoy solo and as a group. The physical effects of music such as the vibrations and my movements while drumming, it's just pure relaxation and energy all at once. I love the sense of adrenaline when I'm in the groove and nothing else in the world matters. Listening to music also provides a sense of belonging, hope and wonder. I'm truly inspired by my favorite songs - the lyrics and melodies as one. Music is valuable and powerful.
  14. InquiringMind

InquiringMind Member

All music has a mood. Some songs start out in one mood and take you to another. If you are like me, you can't just play a song and immediately get in the mood. I use a play list that starts out in the mood I'm in, and gradually takes me to the mood I want to be in. It takes longer, but the transition is much easier. And it works!
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That's actually a good idea. If they're really interested, then they really ought to learn how to play a musical instrument. There's a chance that they might get frustrated if they can't easily learn how to play it, so if that's the case then they should just listen to music instead.
  16. justalittle

justalittle Member

Music is what gets me through every single day. I love songs with lyrics that I can identify with. Sometimes all it takes to feel better is knowing that there are other people out there that feel the same way that you do. No matter what, I know that I can rely on my favorite bands to be there for me.