New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

Music

Discussion in 'Low Cost and Free Treatment' started by Shimus, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

Use music. It helps in many daily aspects and can overall improve quality of life. I used it to get me through two withdrawal stages (Cocaine, Adderall) and I can tell you without an iron will and some badass music, I probably wouldn't be here.

So what music has helped you cope? Why? It's also free and a very wonderful method to try out if you haven't.
  2. musicmonster

musicmonster Senior Contributor

There are actually binaural beats that would help in cases like this. These beats are meant to bring forth healing and stillness. Just look them up and hope that helps.
  3. Shimus

Shimus Community Champion

I also find that if you locate a genre you enjoy as a human being with a sense of hearing, to locate as much music of that type as possible and compile a playlist. It'll help calm urges down when the music is constantly streaming and you have something to occupy your time with.
  4. Kat Blaire

Kat Blaire Member

Music has always helped in soothing my nerves, especially when I get cranky. I think music is effective if you manage to find the right genre that can calm yourself. In my case, that's classical music. I know someone from my support group that listens to country songs often and she says that it helps ease herself. I don't think music can actually heal you, but it can definitely help in the healing process and make you feel better. You just need to know the genres that could give you that feeling of being at ease, because when you do, it becomes a great contribution to your recovery.
  5. CallipygianGamine

CallipygianGamine Community Champion

For me it depends on what I’m going through. It’s a sure sign my depression has hit its lowest ebb when I don’t feel like listening to anything at all. But when it’s at a more manageable level, I go for music that’s bit spacey, or dream pop type stuff, because I find those soothing and calming. And when I’m happy they bring on a bit of euphoria. If I’m angry or anxious though, it’s gotta be angry music all the way. It’s sort of a way to place the feelings outside of myself and detach from them.
  6. sbatz72

sbatz72 Active Contributor

I find when I am in a stressful mood, that music by Ozzy Osbourne has assisted in relaxing me and helping me to calm down. Unfortunately I am trying to work and make a living and then these issues come about and make me think about life as it should be or that I imagine it should be and the way life actually is. I have been dealt a really bad hand, maybe my entire life I was holding this bad hand and I play the cards the best I can. I just have to keep moving on.
  7. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Well, I still and will always love 90's music :) To me that was the best decade for music and music videos, as well as TV. Sadly we will never go back to that every again, the 90's are gone and there is nothing we can do about it. But listening to music is not something I usually do when I have problems or feel stressed, it's more something I just do when I want to celebrate :)

Sometimes when I am melancholic I do that as well. When I am really sad and I need to cheer up I listen to Sopor Aeternus, for some reason her/his music makes me happy, lol. So odd, because its supposed to be depressive, but then again my brain doesn't work like everyone else's.
  8. kgord

kgord Community Champion

There is an old saying that states "Music soothes the savage breast" or sometimes referred to as beast. I think that music can and does influence mood and behavior. Listening to the music that is soothing, energizing or helpful to you is a way you can get the mood change you need.
  9. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

I often turn to music when I need to cope with something or to relax me. Gospel music always puts me in a good mood and helps me quickly. Music is a powerful weapon that is sometimes overlooked but just look how music has influenced society today.
  10. Jordan94

Jordan94 Active Contributor

I think music works wonderfully.
  11. Dwayneu

Dwayneu Community Champion

I want to second this, I've been dabbling in binaural beats and other sounds for a few years, and they help tremendously. I am not exactly sure how it works, but it works with your brainwaves and brings emotional and cognitive benefits.
  12. hwarren

hwarren Member

Music helps in the way that it takes you mind and soul to a different world. It is also scientifically proven that certain music relaxes your body. Try it - everyone will find something that works for them whether it's metal/rock or classic music. I prefer country and it always lightens my soul and brightens my day.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

It's also scientifically proven that music is incredibly good for the brain (think neuroplasticity). Not only it is therapeutic but it also helps to stimulate various regions of the brain and, of course, it causes you to respond emotionally. Words and music are two of the most powerful things humans are capable of creating. Combine them together and you have something omnipotent.
  14. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is right that music can really help us feel better and give different moods but it might not work fort those who do not like music. Music is known to be therapeutic and right that it could depends on a person's preference of type of music.
  15. Jack Wallace

Jack Wallace Senior Contributor

Musiс hаs thе аbility tо quiсkly shift оur mооd, аffесting оur subсоnsсiоus mind whеrе реsky nеgаtivе thоughts fееd оn оur fеаrs аnd fuеl thе firеs оf strеss.

Listеning tо musiс is а rеlаtivеly inехреnsivе, quiсk-асting sоlutiоn thаt’s аlmоst аlwаys аvаilаblе, аnd it соuld just sаvе yоur lifе.
  16. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Music can definitely be a healing force.
  17. Damien Lee

Damien Lee Community Champion

Yes, music has definitely helped me during difficult periods of my life. I've found ambient and chilled out music has helped to calm my nerves and keep me more focused. I guess, everyone's tastes are different and everyone will react differently to various kinds of music. Listen to the type of music that uplifts your spirits.
  18. Villiam

Villiam Member

Music can help build habits. If you are doing positive, healthy activities when listening to certain types of music, your mind will associate the music with positive thoughts. This is free treatment and can help tremendously.
  19. Belovedad

Belovedad Active Contributor

I agree. No matter what mood you are in or what you're going through. There will always be a song out there that you can listen to, to help you get through.
  20. kgord

kgord Community Champion

There is a reason they say "Music soothes the savage beast." It can be used to change moves and allow you to move past a particular point when you feel like you want to use. Everyone who wants to use and can;t should have some music on, that they find soothing and can help them change their ideas about what to do.