An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My addiction doesn't directly affect my life

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by DK01, Feb 9, 2015.

1. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

I'm 32 years old and I've been a smoker of marijuana for the past 10 years. I'm at the stage now where I smoke everyday and without fail I have to have a joint before going to sleep. I've been wanting to give up for the last 2 years and have tried various methods; from gradual reduction to cold turkey and everything in-between. The thing is I still maintain a pretty successful life, as do my close friends who all share this vice, therefore my willpower to completely stop is always compromised by the thought that it the addiction isn really impacting me negatively.

Has anyone else been in this position and managed to stop? Can they offer any advice?
    kjonesm1, RingoBerry and missbishi like this.
  2. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

I never managed to cut it out completely and still enjoy a joint maybe once a month, but I used to smoke weed from morning til night for around 10 years. The thing is, if you truly believe your habit isn't affecting you in a negative way, you're not really in the right frame of mind to succeed.

Think of all the positive benefits cutting down or stopping would bring you. You'd have more money for a start. So could you maybe tell yourself that it does have a negative affect on your life as it is costing you money. I'm sure you can think of other examples.

Once you have some concrete reasons to quit in place, you'll find your willpower gets mucuh stronger.
    jeremy2 and DK01 like this.
  3. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

Thanks for your honesty missbishi - the thing is I totally agree that my frame of mind is not correct to succeed and hence I have not fully managed to conquer the addiction. I can think of so many other examples too, like the fact that its a considerable thing for any future partner/friend to accept.

Did you go through the nightmares/insomnia scenario?
  4. RingoBerry

RingoBerry Senior Contributor

My friend. Its good that you've some to seek for advise, I'm also glad that you feel that your daily life hasn't really been affected by your usage but know that everything excessive is never good. There may already be side effects that you haven't yet noticed. Don't you think that its better to be safe than realizing a problem later on? So do think about this and look up the effects of marijuana. No judgement here, the only thing that needs to be concerned of is your health.
    DK01 likes this.
  5. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

I agree with missbishi, you don't seem like a person willing to quit because like you said you don't see any negatives brought across into your life by the weed smoking. In fact sounds like you are saying your life is not only going the way it always has but has improved.
    I suggest that you start writing down the con's of marijuana in your life and weight it up long and hard, there must be a reason why you feel that you should eliminate the weed smoking from your life. Run with that and you will make it!
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I have never tried smoking before so I don't really have any idea as to what pleasure it gives people. Good thing, it's still not affecting your life. But just a piece of advice, quit this vice now before it becomes an addiction that can ruin your life altogether. Don't wait for that moment in which it's already too late to change your ways.
  7. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Marijuana is a tricky thing to quit. It doesn't necessarily do anything to you physically, but it alters your mental state. Besides chronic laziness, it can make you tired often. I know a lot of successful people who smoke all the time, but they want to quit and can't because they have created mental codependency. It's a slippery slope. Just think of the physical and mental health benefits of quitting, the physical being your lung capacity re-expanding, laziness retreating and, depending what shape you're in, weight loss.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Right, most probably you are finding it hard to quit cause you are thinking that it does not affect you anyway so why quit. It was like thinking that you really do not have a problem. It is good to know that it is not affecting your life but it could be in the future or you do not just recognize it yet.
  9. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I smoked everyday two or three times a day for fifteen years. When I had my second child I decided to cut back to once at night once they were asleep. Now my job does random drug tests, so I quit completely. My situation sounds like yours... I was completely functional, make good money, take care of my children and am a normal member of society. I did not feel the need to quit, but as life's circumstances changed, so did my habits. You'll quit or cut back as needed I'm sure. Best of luck to you.
    DK01 likes this.
  10. HugsNotDrugs

HugsNotDrugs Active Contributor

If you can afford it, I recommend going on vacation! Get yourself out of all the environments in which your would normally smoke. Go relax and see how much easier it is to not think about weed when you're in a whole new place. Spend your time going to a few museums or something instead of smoking :p
  11. Linno

Linno Member

You say that you find it hard to quit because you rationalize that the addiction isn't impacting you negatively. Maybe then you should consider why you wanted to quit in the first place? Focus on the reasons that made you consider it and write them all down. Put the list in a place you will see daily and write down your goal to quit. Maybe it will help to be constantly reminded of these. And if you catch yourself out trying to defend your smoking try to think back to the list, don't dwell on defending your habit, just let those thoughts pass. Focus on your new goal.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

No nightmares at all but my insomnia got really bad. I've never been able to sleep properly anyway, and marijuana seemed to help a little so trying to cut back saw me awake until all hours - sometimes not sleeping at all. If I do have a joint these days, I always have it as late at night as possible to take advantage of this.
  13. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

I'm trying the cutting down approach at the moment, and I can already feel small differences in my health. It feels like I need far less physical power to do thinks like going for a run or doing yoga. The truth is, I don't really think I've done enough to gain the mental benefits of stopping, which in turn gives you the boost to get over the inevitable cravings. You see for me, its the one I smoke before I sleep that's the hardest to give up, since it directly influences how much (if any) sleep I get at all, so i still feel like I'm fully in my addiction.

Did you suffer from that? Are there any natural remedies you can recommend?
  14. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Not to sound harsh, but it is directly affecting your daily life if it affects your sleep. Sleep is a huge factor in overall health. You can literally die from (extended) sleep deprivation.

Maybe you subconsciously know that there is at least some negative impact, or otherwise you probably wouldn't be too concerned with quitting.

Just some food for thought.
    DK01 likes this.
  15. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

This is a very good point. I completely agree with this.
  16. serenity

serenity Community Champion

Well, if it's not really impacting you that negatively, then I suggest that you just cut down your weed intake to at least once a week? But of course you know that you really must stop eventually. At least you are making an effort to stop smoking weed. If weed has been helping you to sleep, then why don't you try to take melatonin? I heard that it's a good cure for those who have trouble sleeping.
  17. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I used to smoke right before bed too. I used to sit on the couch with the tv on and veg out till I fell asleep. I had a hard time readjusting right away. Now I wake up at a reasonable time, stay as active as I can during the day, and sleep in silence. I turn off lights and tv and it's much easier to fall asleep.
  18. irishrose

irishrose Community Champion

Marijuana may not have a direct impact on your life now, however, using it everyday will increase your risk of negative health impacts down the road. For example, things like memory loss and damage to lungs happen frequently in frequent marijuana users. Also, the fact that you need it in order to fall asleep shows that your body already has an unhealthy dependence on it.
  19. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

@DK01: I have been thinking about this also... I have recently started smoking joints on a regular basis...one or two joints at night and I think my life is better if I smoke responsibly and in moderation...I think it helps me with my depression, anxiety and ocd...and helps me concentrate more and achieve the things I want to achieve...I think I'm going to be like you a pretty successful person who has a joint a day...what do you think about this?
  20. NyX82

NyX82 Member

If you truly think your addiction isn't affecting your life then why do you even want to stop smoking? If you wake up every day needing it then it is affecting your life. Just thinking about possibly wanting to quit is not going to help you get sober. You need to really accept that it is a problem for you and really want to make a change for you to be successful at living a Marijuana free life. This is possible, you just really have to want it and to me it doesn't seem like you're at that point yet.
    Tallyho likes this.