An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My addiction doesn't directly affect my life

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by DK01, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Tallyho

Tallyho Active Contributor

What Nyx said, basically. If you're feeling like you have even a subconscious back-of-your-mind idea that quitting or cutting back would be better, there must be part of you that knows your life is effected. You can build on that, especially with support.
    NyX82 likes this.
  2. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Nyx82 put forward an excellent point, why do you want to quit? I think your problems are minor and you don't need to quit in order to make things right, why don't you just take a tolerance break for a while?
    NyX82 likes this.
  3. NyX82

NyX82 Member

I don't want to actively condone smoking weed but I'd much rather see people do that than harder drugs. My family even use to say that to me. If it's not affecting your life that much and you're able to function as a normal part of society then I think that's much better than drinking or other drugs. It will be legal in a matter of time anyway.
  4. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

your family is open minded and they're right...if weed is going to decrease criminal activities and use of harder drugs like heroin then we should totally legalize it.
  5. NyX82

NyX82 Member

My family is only open minded because the majority of them smoke weed. I was always the outcast that wasn't as into it and did other drugs. Now I'm the clean one and they still all smoke weed and have a pill problem. For me though I see far less bad when it comes to weed than every other drug.
  6. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

[QUOTE="Did you go through the nightmares/insomnia scenario?[/QUOTE]

This is nothing to worry about. The insomnia really only lasts a night or two and then you're fine even if you've been smoking it for several decades. If you do get some sort of nightmare(s), which people usually don't, it'll probably just that the dreams are more peculiar, rather than being scary. Again, nothing to worry about. I also agree with the posters above about having to change your frame of mind. You could do this using "reframing" from NLP.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Hello DK! It's been months since you posted this but allow me to just share my two cents. The thing is, material success is different from self-fulfilment - that feeling of emotional satisfaction and peacefulness that not even money or physical comfort can make up for. If you had been fully assured of your success, why did you feel the need to quit your vices? Why were you bothered by them? It's because those vices do not give you peace. Material success may define you at present but sooner or later, you'll feel like the world is crashing in on you and you don't understand. Success should be measured not just in terms of career or financial standing. The things that matter cannot be measured.
  8. henry

henry Community Champion

It's been quite a while since the last time I smoked weed. I never really had a problem with it, because I never did it every day, I just smoked it on weekends, and only if I was drinking. Best way to quit? Cold turkey.
  9. remnant

remnant Community Champion

I sympathise with your problem. But you are using the wrong approach. An internal problem can't be addressed externally. A long journey starts with one step which you have already taken by acknowledging that you need help. A good place to start is to identify what predisposed you to smoke marijuana in the first place. Then do some case studies of long term marijuana users and you will get a picture of yourself after 10 years. Consulting recovered addicts is a very effective way to beat addiction.
  10. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Most people with a marijuana addiction can lead a pretty normal life, but most people believe in that cliche we see in many movies or TV shows or losers who smoke pot daily and live in their parents basements. But the truth is that a marijuana addiction is not a big deal, and if it interferes in some way the capacity of someone to lead a normal life. then I'd say that person has other issues he or she should deal with.

That being said, quitting marijuana is just matter of priorities and will power :) You can do it if you really want to, is not like we are talking about heroine or meth. Those are really hard to quit, but it is also possible.
  11. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

Just acknowledging the negative effects of marijuana and the financial strain should be enough. Perhaps do some research and you may find out the the negative aspects always outweigh the positives when it comes to drugs. Know that your life will be ten times better than what it is today when you quit. The amount of money you'll save and the amount of time you'll have to do other things. Take the appropriate course of action, instead of just thinking about it, try one of the methods of quitting that are known to work, with enough will power, it's possible.
    Sure, weed does give you some positive things, but even limiting what you smoke to say, one per month, will help a lot and it's close to quitting. Sometimes prevention is better than cure.
  12. AngryItalian

AngryItalian Member

Marijuana is for some and not for others. I think you shouldn't require it to function. I think it should be used as alcoholic beverages are meant to be. Responsibly.

It's the only thing I am able to set down, I am more prone to chemical addiction than letting something control me based off feeling.
  13. bonzmistrz

bonzmistrz Member

Okay without specifically going into too much detail(as it feels weird to do online publically) I do not feel like smoking affects my daily life. Now granted I 98 percent of the time smoke when my children go to bed but still I have to get up with my youngest one in the middle of the night.
    I cramp alot, and have trouble eating a lot. I figure it is just because I get too wore out with the kids and when I get a chance to relax that's all I want to do. When I smoke it takes my pains away and of course I eat, my husband says it doesn't help much with me gaining weight
    Not too mention it keeps me from getting easily angered if my husband and I seem to be having problems. It is very easy for me too be calm and just blow it off which makes it easier for him.
    Now with the cramping and eating yes I have tried going to the doctor. The places either don't except my medicaid or the prices for the exams are much higher than what we can afford. So ya when it comes to it, its easier to smoke.
    I think if you arent smoking right in front of your kids, if you're not totally oblivious to the fact you have responsibilities and wait till the proper time..then there is no problem with it.
  14. morgoodie

morgoodie Senior Contributor

I think if you have to have a joint before going to sleep then it is negatively affecting your life. You will not be able to quit smoking by thinking that it is not affecting your life. To me, that sounds like denial. If you want to quit bad enough then you will but you have to admit that smoking affects you negatively in some way.
  15. bonzmistrz

bonzmistrz Member

Hello everyone, I do not believe that I have to have it to function but it does help with other problems I have.
    I started drinking again lately which I don't like but do. Believe me I would much rather smoke than drink. I don't overdo it and never feel like crap the next morning. I smoke after my kids go to sleep which sometimes is not too far off from when I go to bed; yet that us only due to the fact that I am not one who is too comfortable smoking in front or around my children when they are awake.