An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My addiction to marijuana is controlling me...

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Fury, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Fury

Fury Member

Hey! Sorry, new here, I just need to share my story. Hoping somebody has some good advice to share with me.

Where to begin? I'm not physically addicted to weed (obviously) but mentally I'm hooked. I smoke everyday, sometimes twice. I don't even really get that high anymore. I can't drive under the influence, I'm never productive, I just get the munchies and laze on the couch. I don't want to be that person anymore.

But I just can't stop. I keep saying, "Well I've got some left, might as well." or "Well I've got 50 bucks from my paycheck, might as well." and it just keeps going and going. I successfully quit for a week once and then I got high with some friends and it all just came rushing back to me.It isn't fun anymore, I just feel dependent and pathetic on it.
  2. vennybunny

vennybunny Member

You want to quit. And you know you want to quit. That's the first step. And you've taken it already.

You can do this, bud.
  3. Parassd

Parassd Active Contributor

You need to tell your friends you want to quit, if they're not helping then I propose you stay away from them, i wouldn't call them "friends".
  4. Megalinoxo

Megalinoxo Member

It can be hard for others to take you seriously when you say you are trying to quit smoking weed. Many people do not see it as a drug you can get addicted too, and that is far from true. I know how hard it can be for others to take what you say to heart but try and explain that you have a real problem. If your friends are not able to respect that or offer you support, you may need to look elsewhere.

It's okay to go talk to a counselor about this problem or maybe attend a NA meeting. It can provide you with a strong support system that can motivate you to try and address any underlying problems. If those are not options for you, still look for people you can connect with and share stories with. Be willing to be open and fluid with your addiction as much as you can. It will really help you.

Like vennybunny already said, you have admitted to having a problem. This is an important step and you should be proud of yourself. Now push yourself even farther to get the help you need to take the next steps.

Good luck!
  5. yari1123

yari1123 Member

It's very courageous of you to admit having a dependency on marijuana. Like previously stated, many people do not take this dependency seriously, making it hard for people with this issue to come forward. The first step is admitting you have a problem and you've already done that. I also agree with taking a step back and evaluating friendships and are some of them enabling this behavior. Please seek help from a progressional as they can be a better guide to beating this dependency.
  6. Igotthebuzz

Igotthebuzz Member

I have a lot of family members thats hooked on Marijuana. I realize that when they hang around people that's successful they tend to want to be successful. So I influence them to hang around people with the right intention.
  7. ambernw

ambernw Member

I feel the same way. I'm in the process of quitting completely after smoking at least twice a day for over two years. It's not very hard for me to not think about it honestly, mine is more about it being around. I have a lot of family members and friends that smoke so it's always available really. I've just always had a hard time saying no when offered anything really. I just hate being the lazy person it's made me after continuous use. I think a lot of it is being bored too. I guess I should find a hobby.
  8. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

I know how hard it is to quit when it already became a habit for you. I suggest that you get engaged in something that interests you -- music, sport, arts, whatever it is that you like and get soaked in it to keep yourself busy. Basically just do anything that will keep your mind off of weed.
  9. Allen24

Allen24 Active Contributor

One suggestion would be to change up your routine a little bit each day. If you normally smoke first thing in the morning, try doing yoga, drinking coffee or tea, or going for a walk instead. If you smoke when you come home at night, try going out with some friend instead. Try and stay away from those who enable you to smoke with them. Little by little you might feel less inclined to choose smoking.
  10. ambernw

ambernw Member

I agree completely with this. Keeping yourself busy and distracted doing something else will definitely help out in staying away from the weed. I've found (at least in my own experiences), I wanted to smoke more when I was just bored not doing anything and had nothing else to do.
  11. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

I would see occasionally some college students around smoking weed on campus when I went to Modesto Junior College. I would just be bothered by the toxic smell.
  12. Fury

Fury Member

Thank you very much for all of the replies! I see the common theme is stay away, and stay away from friends who engage in this. I'd like to, but I am not really sure what to tell them in regards to this. I don't want to be that guy who just turns the cold shoulder unexpectedly. Any ideas?
  13. 420nosmoke

420nosmoke Member

You may be able to still hang out with them, but ask that they not smoke around you or offer it to you. If they are good friends they will respect that. If they don't respect that and keep bugging you to smoke, maybe it's time to start questioning the friendship, since they aren't being good friends.

If you decide to avoid them and they start asking where you've been, you can say something like "Hey, yeah, sorry for being a hermit lately, but I've been trying to quit smoking. Nothing personal." If the friendship is strong they will understand and you guys can pick back up where you left off in a few months' time. Friendships go through lulls of inactivity all the time; it's normal. If it was not that strong (that type of "friendship" where you don't have anything in common except for the activity of smoking), then you will simply fade away from each other, no harm done.
  14. JorjSimeonov

JorjSimeonov Member

Marijuana isn't really the problem, but it's your motivation to do anything and it seems like you really don't feel happy when you are not under the influence. If it wasn't for weed you'd be drinking or taking other substances when you are bored (which sounds like happens to you a lot). I'd say find something to do first before blaming it on addiction.
  15. atlantic

atlantic Member

Just tell your friends you're taking a break from smoking, if you're really concerned about them jumping to judgment if you say you quit. I've seen so many people kick their weed habits though, and I've moved on from those lazy stoner types myself. It's a clearer lifestyle for a lot of people. You'll find you're more productive and valuing time spent well.
  16. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

You might be surprised to find out how many of your friends are really your friends. Just be prepared and know it's not necessarily a bad thing to weed out people who really just like getting high with you. When I finally got clean, I had 4 friends. Like...TRUE FRIENDS. I felt (and still do feel) super fortunate because most have none. Getting clean is like hitting a restart button. It's scary, but it can also be kind of fun. You get to reinvent yourself. Make new friends who live life differently.
  17. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

There is some good advice offered on this thread which I agree with. You have acknowledged your problem and that is absolutely the first step in dealing with it - clearly you want to quit and you know you do. I recommend finding new hobby or perhapsa job which you can focus on instead. Keeping yourself occupied in other ways can take your mind off it. It would also be good to remove yourself from anything that reminds you of marijuana or smoking - just seeing a lump of weed or someone smoking it can be suggestive so try to stay away from it. If your friends/family smoke it ask them to not do do so around you or to even talk about it around you. This may sound a bit simplistic but at the end of the day suggestion is everything and can tempt you.
  18. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

Its just that the addiction is strong and its something that your body keeps telling you to go and smoke. Its hard to not have a smoke when you want to tell yourself to quit. The other problem is other people around you doing the smoking which would drive you to smoke.
  19. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

You should limit yourself from those that smoke. Give yourself a good peep talk, close your eye's and picture yourself in five years. Do this first at your current rate, then see yourself without being dependent upon pot. Put the wheels in motion to go toward your goal. Keep focused this the most important element of getting sober, and staying that way.
  20. amj52036

amj52036 Member

The situation you described is exactly the situation my boyfriend is in pretty much. His tolerance for weed is gettting higher and higher and all he wants to do is eat. He really smokes to relieve all of his stress and help him sleep better. The thing is he eventually wants to stop and knows he needs to stop soon for personal reasons. Therefore, I have been helping him out and encouraging him. I let him know that he can do it and that he needs to smoke less and less because I know he cannot handle cold turkey. The main problem is the fact that his cousin and brother smoke a lot. These people are around him a lot and since he cannot really just avoid them, I encourage him to fight the urge.

He also tried to quit smoking and managed to go free for 2 weeks but then started again. Also, he told me "I'm tired of getting high.", and this was the key to let him know that he smokes too much. Even though I am still working on him and cannot give too much advice, I would say at the very least you should have a support system from a friend, family member, etc. Things can be a lot easier when you have someone encouraging you to stay strong.