An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My addiction to marijuana is controlling me...

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Fury, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Byrom

Byrom Member

You should initially be very proud of yourself, realizing that you have a problem is the first step towards recovery. I understand and have known a lot of people reduced to the same situation and they were always very adamant that there was no problem. I'm not sure what advice I can offer you to reciprocate, as i'm not sure what sort of a person you are. Perhaps slowly cutting back may help as a gradual curve rather than cold turkey. I had a close friend who said the biggest miracle he could offer to stop smoking weed all the time, would be to NEVER smoke weed in the morning. He said that sets the tone for the entire day, smoke in the evening as an after dinner treat or a relaxant before bed, that way you have much less of a day to waste.

I wish you the best of luck
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Byrom is right. Going cold turkey may not work. Yes could manage to get by without weed for a day or two but when the craving gets to be strong, you'll dash right back, hate yourself for being weak and smoke a little more to bury the guilt. It works like that all the time. Since you say it's all in the mind, one thing I know can help teaching others about the [bad] effects of smoking weed. It could be online or offline. This will give you some motivation to try harder to overcome the addiction.
  3. Charli

Charli Community Champion

You just have to find things to keep yourself busy on and try to find the commitment to go more than a week. You would probably still look for it after a month but I think you would find the cravings a lot more manageable by then. Try exercising so you will be so tried when you get home that you don't need to find something as a buzz.
  4. Geinnam

Geinnam Member

It's great that you are thinking about quitting. It's been several years since I quit and I can tell you this, I still miss it sometimes. The problem for me was that I enjoyed it way too much! When I made the decision to quit, I gained something that I forgot was so important to me: freedom. I was free to explore who I was without altering my mind. I was free to spend my money on other things. I was free from walking into a room full of people feeling that there was a sign above my head that said "stoner".
  5. Onionman

Onionman Active Contributor

At least you've got the awareness that it's an issue. Now's time for a bit of action.

I wouldn't just rely on motivation and willpower though. We're all human and very often take the path of least resistance. Keep focused and have a plan. I think it's worth seeking outside help as well.
  6. stagsonline

stagsonline Active Contributor

As said by a fellow member, you want to quit? Then you should because you have the will to, that's most important when it comes to quiting drugs. Accepting that you have a problem, you are sick of it and want to open a new chapter in your life. Do this:

First, decide that you are no longer buying marijuana again, use that money to buy or save for something you always wish to buy(we all do)

Second: Ask yourself why you really smoke weed...Is it for the high feeling? Is it because you are stressed? Is it because it's simply cool? If you have no clear answer and not gaining anything positive out of it, then you don't need it!

Third: This is a gradual step that involves changing your smoking habit or pattern, skip a day, then two, then three...be patient with yourself and eventually you will stop. Another thing, let somebody close know that you are quiting. It helps you stay aware that somebody who cares is hoping that you quit.
  7. KC Sunshine

KC Sunshine Member

Bottom line: If you want to quit pot and cannot you are an addict. But me telling you that you are an addict and you accepting that you are an addict are distinctly different. My cousin was a heavy pot user for years. He found that he had to smoke more and more in order to get a little high, and the smoking cut further and further into his life, relationships, and routine. We all knew he smoked. Every hour or so at every family function he'd conveniently and stealthily disappear somewhere only to come back glossy eyed and smirking. I asked him once a few years ago if he was addicted and he said no. He told me that pot wasn't addictive. But I just saw him again at the end of the summer and he informed me that my question had got him thinking. About a year ago he decided to try out N.A. He told me that his life has been completely transformed. He said the hardest part, though, was to accept the fact that he was an addict. Even after he started N.A. it was not easy because, as he put it, "I just smoked pot, some of these guys had been mainlining heroin or smoking crack." He didn't think pot was as serious. But over the past year, he says he has not only finally managed to kick the habit, he has found a girlfriend, landed a steady job, and no longer spends a quarter of his salary on high end pot. He looks great and seems healthier than ever. But, like I said, he told me that the thing that helped him turn the corner was the full acceptance that he was powerless over his pot use and admitting to himself that he was an addict. He calls N.A. "the fellowship" and says they have been there for him on multiple occasions when he lost faith in the process. So...don't try it alone, find a meeting, and start your journey to sobriety.
  8. WAVWirmer

WAVWirmer Member

I have been facing the same problem for years now. What i did to manage my impulse and cravings was first i did my research on the different types of strains. And upon doing so i began to experiment till i found the right kind that gave me the nice high feeling without any of the lazyness and hunger associated with the one i used before. But if you really want to quit and stop then best solution would be to get rid of all the triggers around you. The things that cause you to say might as well.
  9. juliaintheclouds

juliaintheclouds Active Contributor

I started smoking marijuana when I was around thirteen years old, I am now in my thirties. I have a bit of an unusual story because I didn't really want to quit, but I had to (due to a situation I would rather not get into) and I am so glad I did. I definitely had a psychological dependance even though I probably wouldn't have admitted it at the time. Now when I'm around people who are stoned they seem so boring to me and I can see how unproductive they are. Quitting marijuana can be difficult because it is so accepted now but if you get past the first week or two it'll get easier. I tried smoking a few times recently to relieve some stress and it made me feel worse. Try hanging around some non-smokers while it gets out of your system.
  10. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I'd say find others who have been in the same boat as you are in right now, and see how they managed to get over their addiction. Often, just being surrounded by the positive and encouraging energy of others is all you need to take that first crucial step towards independence from an addiction. No two people are ever the same, so there is no "standard" approach of how to overcome substance abuse. Try and find out what works best for you, and do it your own way, in your own time.
  11. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

My sentiments exactly. When I read that Fury got back to hooking up with his friends, I started to wonder what kind of friends encourage someone who wants to stop to get high again? Then I realized that no mention was made of Fury telling them he wanted to quit. If it was a case where he told them, I'd say these are not the kind of friends you want to have in the first place.

Fury, you are not giving them the cold shoulder if you separate yourself, you are protecting YOU.
  12. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Just tell your friends that you want to quit smoking - maybe tell them you've been experiencing some tightness in your chest too. However, do you think you'll be able to say no next time they pass you the blunt? If you don't think you can, it might be better to stay away for a week or so. You can always say you've been tired, ill or that you have some important stuff to take care of.

I know exactly what you mean about your tolerance increasing - I just used to sit there all day smoking weed and not feel a thing. I had to make a real effort to find new activities to take my mind off it. I still enjoy a smoke every now and then but find that I need much less to enjoy myself.
  13. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

You have to learn to not let external factors such as this influence you in any way - your mind is your own, YOU decide what YOU do and do not want to do and you must not let any other person or any other factor influence those decisions. I know it's easier said than done and it takes strength and will power (or won't power, depending on how you look at it) but it can be done. Also, just think, if your friends want to continue to smoke weed and lead themselves down the wrong path, that's their decision- it doesn't have to apply to you. Be strong minded - in the end you will be the one who is thinking clearly, feels more fresh, alert and alive. You will be the one who doesn't have to worry about where the next $X for weed is coming from. You will be the one who doesn't have to worry about people smelling it on you or burning your clothes and worrying abut whether people will notice if you're high or not. Surely, all those reasons to are enough to take the dedication to quit?
    Winterybella likes this.
  14. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Contributor

It really does take a lot of strength to quit an addiction. You have to find a way to out of the cycle of negativity. The thing is though some people are not strong enough to believe in themselves. There are people who are so far in the addiction to where their minds are destroyed by the effects that are caused by the drugs or alcohol. The ones who do escape the addiction they are truly the survivors.
  15. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I smoked pot everyday at least twice a day for 15 years. When I had my first child I restricted it to after her bedtime, and now I don't smoke at all due to job obligations. Cutting back ultimately lead to me quitting. Maybe it could work for you?
    karmaskeeper likes this.
  16. karmaskeeper

karmaskeeper Community Champion

I totally agree with this advice. Cutting back can lead to stopping all together, but first you have got to learn self control. Once that is achieved your on your way.
    kjonesm1 and Winterybella like this.
  17. Parassd

Parassd Active Contributor

How exactly can one cutback? I mean, like, setting a limit for yourself per day, or setting some timeframe during which you can smoke, or what?
  18. kjonesm1

Well like I said, I cut back by going from smoking two or three times a day to once in the evening. To cut back means to reduce the amount you smoke which could be from once a day to once a week. Or from once a week to once a month and so forth.
  19. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

You could do both! I also recommend cutting down gradually, it will make things a lot easier and give you more time to adjust. If you smoke daily, then try going every other day instead of every day - just that could cut your consumption down to half of what it is now. Do you smoke out of habit when doing a certain thing (like a hobby, for example)? Start doing that thing without smoking. Make the changes gradually and they will be easier to accept.
  20. kjonesm1

I found a lot of my habit was ritual. Like the 'wake and bake'. I also enjoy taking long baths, so smoking in the tub became a huge habit of mine.