An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My addiction to marijuana is controlling me...

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Fury, Oct 3, 2014.

1. Something that may help you is to start doing something that forces you to be involved. Depending on your interests there are plenty of different things you could do. I would recommend doing something physical like swimming, for instance, if that is something you are interested in. Keeping your body and mind busy while gaining a sense of accomplishment sounds like it could really help your situation.
  2. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

This is a good example. Once people start to associate smoking with doing these kinds of things, they then begin to smoke by association which thereby worsens their addiction. Those associations need to be broken and the only way they can be broken is to interrupt the pattern by not smoking while doing those things and getting into the habit of not smoking while doing them.
    kjonesm1 likes this.
  3. DK01

DK01 Active Contributor

Don't beat yourself up firstly about being mentally hooked on something, the mind is an infinitely more powerful thing than our physical beings. That's why drugs such as weed and tobacco are so prevalent, because our mind is somehow convinced we need them or that they help.

Secondly I think marijuana only affects you as much as you let it, so the fact it makes you lazy may mean you're disposed to being a little lazy anyway, and the drug just accentuates it instead of causing it. You have to decide if you actually want to quit or if you just want its perceived consequences to stop. There are many smokers who maintain full and hectic lifestyles.