An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My best friend abuses weed to an extent I've never seen

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Friend' started by amin021023, Apr 26, 2015.

1. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Hello everyone. I have this friend, he's very intelligent, handsome and a very nice person...you rarely find such character... we've been close friends for two years and he has been the most influential person in my life in the last couple of years.

he recently started abusing Marijuana to the extent I've never seen or heard in my life, I thought no one can smoke that much weed and get to live until I saw him keep smoking strong stuff out of a bong for several hours and sit like a normal person talking and behaving like he didn't have anything at all...he's a weed machine, an Elephant can't smoke the amount of weed that he smokes daily. It makes me really worried about his physical and mental health, I've tried talking to him but he's like I can't reach my desired high. I really want to help him because he has helped me before many times.
  2. Sarah15

Sarah15 Member

That's a tough one. I've never been convinced by the the arguments for weed, and how it isn't addictive etc. I've seen it, and I believe it's just like any other drug - sooner or later you need the next high, and it has to be bigger, better etc etc.

I've been an alcoholic for most of my adult life; I started out having 'just a few quiet drinks', and whilst there's nothing wrong with that (most people do it, and manage to stop at just a few) I had eventually started convincing myself that even though I had tripled the amount I drink, I was still just having a 'few drinks'. It doesn't stop there either. Alcoholics increase they amount they drink continuously, and people addicted to weed or any other drug will do exactly the same thing. There will always be that 'bigger high' - they chase it, but it never stops there.

You've tried talking to him, but maybe it's time to get some other people involved in talking to him too. I think you'll have to gently try and chip away at him until he can see how much he's upsetting you by giving you so much concern.

Good luck, and come back and tell us if you are managing to get through to him.
    amin021023 likes this.
  3. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

You need to remind him of the things that weed does to you and how it damages you. It will give him sense and sort of a wake up call saying that, "Oh, I really need to stop if I don't want to be like that." You also need to be there for him. Try to find a way to distract him such as going out to many places you guys love or doing something together. Just tell him that it may seem like weed helps you, but in the future it only hurts you and you will regret it. Best of luck :)
  4. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

You're right. it is addictive and I don't know where all the fuss come from that say it isn't, though it might be different for different people.
    Last night my pals and I were at this house and I suggested that we only drink vodka and don't do pot and it worked, I showed him he didn't have to do pot to shut the world out. I'll try talking to him the next time.
    Sarah15 likes this.
  5. DancingLady

DancingLady Community Champion

Maybe find some information about possible serious side effects of weed. While many recreational users don't seem to come to harm, the chances of serious health problems like short term memory loss increase the more one uses. Weed is addictive to some extent, and different people respond differently to it. It sounds like your friend has a pretty strong psychological addiction to it, and possibly also a physical addiction, though I can't really say for sure. That's good that you were able to convince him he can have a good time without weed, though having one addiction already, I would be very careful with alcohol, as there is risk he may trade one addiction for another. Planning an evening where you have fun with friends doing an activity or watching a movie/sports with just snacks and no drugs or alcohol might be a good next step.
  6. hunkydoire

hunkydoire Member

What if, instead of complete abstinence, you suggested some herbal alternatives, like smoking blue lotus leaves, or damiana? I have also heard of people getting something out of smoking Kava Kava, Licorice Root, Catnip, Motherwort, Passionflower, Skullcap, Hops, or a combination of some? I know that for me, when I was trying to find alternatives to antidepressant drugs, Passionflower, Skullcap, Damiana, and Blue Lotus was a great help. Of course, your friend will not get the same effect he is getting now from the weed, but slowly, maybe if he tapers down and tries these herbs a little at a time (they are also a great deal cheaper) maybe it could be a replacement? Just thought I would offer an alternative. I would much rather see someone smoke herbs than drugs.
  7. 6up

6up Community Champion

He might not be knowing about its dangers, please inform him. Advice him if you see signs of stress if that is what is troubling him. Give true examples of its effects in your community. Do not separate or discriminate him, let him feel that you are sharing the same problem. Ask him if he is ready for help and give assistance.
  8. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

Since you two are close, why not start doing more stuff with him. Invite him out on the town or just ask him to help you clean your house or something. I have a lot of close friends who smoke a ton of weed and distractions tend to keep them from seeking the next big high. Unless you know what you're talking about, it's gonna be hard to convince a user to stop what he is enjoying on the basis of physical deterioration.
  9. Although I see no issue with the recreational use of marijuana, it certainly sounds like your friend is using to excess. In my experience, sitting down with him and telling him how you feel about the situation is the best solution. You can't force anybody to do anything, it's completely on them to make their own decisions. However, showing concern and compassion for him might plant the seed of change in his mind. At that point the seed will blossom, he'll realize his loved ones are concerned for his well-being. Or he'll continue down the path he's currently on. Either way you will have said your part and can move on.
  10. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

He will surely suffer if he continues smoking weed especially on such amount. Try to make him busy on other things like doing sports together. Or try to convince him that it is bad for him and maybe he could join support groups.
  11. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Be persistent, until you can finally reach him in all that haze. By the sound of it, he won't slow down unless something "big", such as a sudden inability to finance his habit, or some kind of incidence where he isn't able to make a proper decision due to being too stoned, will interfere with his lifestyle. How is he able to consume that much weed on a daily basis without it interfering with his work or studies?
  12. Charli

Charli Community Champion

If he's able to function normally then I wouldn't worry too much since you can't overdose from smoking too much anyway. If you want to get him to moderate a little bit then I would recommend introducing him to some new activities and interests that could keep him preoccupied. Any physical or mental activity that requires a fair amount of concentration would probably work since if he feels stimulated then he would be less likely to try and find it in substances.
  13. smartmom

smartmom Senior Contributor

It sounds as if he has an addition. It always starts with a little and then increases to a lot. After a while a little just wont give him a high. The only thing you can do is try to talk to this friend and if he does not listen try not to allow his life to start affecting yours.