An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My Best Friend Detoxing. The Friend or the Detoxer

Discussion in 'Share Your Detox Experience' started by egrocket1, May 16, 2015.

1. egrocket1

egrocket1 Member

Have you ever had to watch someone go through pain? I'm sure you have, but the tricky part of detoxing is knowing they need the pain. Watching someone go through pain and watching someone suffer because they need to, are two complete separate things. A few years ago, my best friend was detoxing off of cocaine and it was not pretty. I mean he had hot sweats, cold sweats, panic episodes, migraines, and even suicide attempts.

Watching someone detox may even be worse than yourself detoxing because you have the power to stop their pain (at least temporarily.) I could have just given him some coke and he would have not had to endure something that hard, something that painful. The part of being the friend of a detoxing addict that is even harder, is to withhold their cure. Not only did I not give my friend coke, I had to withhold it from him. I had to go out of my way to make sure he did not get his cure from these detoxing symptoms. It is a very tough place to be.

Have you guys ever felt like I have? Who do you think it is harder to be... the friend of someone detoxing or the actual person detoxing?
  2. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

I think both being the detoxer and also being a friend or family member of someone detoxing present their own challenges. For me, I always worry about my family and friends and their well being, so watching them go through the detox process would be incredibly tough. However, in saying that, I think the saying "it may be hard, but it's worth it" applies in these situations. Yes, coming out of any addiction is a hard, hard battle. But the light at the end of the tunnel is the freedom that comes with not living a life bound to a substance.
  3. egrocket1

egrocket1 Member

Yeah I agree is it hard for both people, but I think it is definitely worth it. I am glad that my friend went through that struggle so now he can recognize true happiness. I love my friend and he is doing great now. He has a full time job and is totally independent. He even makes sure I am okay with money. :) Thank you for responding.
  4. Danyell

Danyell Community Champion

I would totally agree @egrocket1. It is tremendously hard on both of the people involved. I have always been the one who was detoxing. I can't even describe the pain I was in. The time when my friend was with me, I was detoxing from heroin. I was extremely agitated, my whole body was in excruciating pain, and constantly throwing up/dry heaving. I started to have seizures and so he drove me to this medical detox facility near by. I can't imagine what my friend was going through, having to watch me have seizures and whatnot. He took my car keys and wallet so there was no way for me to get any dope. I remember balling my eyes out begging him to give them back so I could get well. That is a true friend.
  5. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

That's the price of the addiction. Nothing in life comes easy and clean. You know... in life you have to fight every single day and struggles are everywhere and of course detoxing is one of the fights that human can encounter. By the way I am more than happy to see such words from you, you did a great job with your friend. He should be proud of having one like you.