An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My best friend is addicted to crystal meth, help?

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by Carmilla, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Carmilla

Carmilla Active Contributor

I'd really appreciate some help. My bestie started taking it around 3 months ago I believe and is now totally hooked. She just recently confided this in me, but I don't know what to do? I am super desperate to help her but I just have no idea how... She's only 20! I don't want this to ruin her life or cut it short... :(

6 Answers • Mental Health
    IrishHeather likes this.
  2. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

I'm sorry to hear about your best friend, but it seems like she realizes that a problem exists, and that's a positive takeaway. If she is indeed addicted, then she might need professional help to stop using crystal meth, which is far more addictive than most drugs. Plus, it's easy to acquire, which is another problem. You should talk to her about getting professional assistance and see what her thoughts are on the matter before coming up with a plan.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  3. Alex Waite

Alex Waite Member

The best way to quit using meth is to go into a professional rehab program. My wife and I were saved by an outpatient program that provided the help we needed while still giving us the freedom to live our lives. Our program was offered at our local hospital, and it was covered by Medicaid. Once we started working again, our insurance picked up the cost with only a small co-pay. The staff were trained to help, and they did an amazing job. We never felt judged nor were we treated with anything other than the utmost respect. I recommend telling your friend to simply make an appointment with her doctor, and then be honest. Her doctor can refer her to a program that will work for her and it very likely will save her life.
    ktdid and IrishHeather like this.
  4. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

I think it is best to, see if the hospital can help and maybe get the family to get her the help as well and so it is going to take time to get the healing needed for this. A rehab centre could work and also, with the right staff who are friendly and can also understand the person and help them to recover and get away from this addiction as well. I think your best friend will need good support and be with the right people too and also get the help that he needs as well.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Well she needs help and if your words can't get her to quit then she needs to want to check herself in and get some help. If she doesn't go in voluntarily you might want to call the cops and have her arrested for using. That way the courts will order her to get treatment.
    IrishHeather likes this.
  6. IrishHeather

IrishHeather Active Contributor

I understand you pain and the frustration you are going through right now. It is hard and emotionally devastating to watch some one you love doing things to themselves that can destroy their lives and futures. I would sit her down in a place that you two can be alone and just out and out voice your concerns. Let her know that you love her and will always be there for her. Reassure her that you are not judging her and you don't love her any less because of this problem. Try to make her understand that you are not lecturing her or trying to tell her how to live her life. Tell her that you are discussing this with her because you are concerned for her well being and best friends are supposed to come to each others defense when something is hurting the other. My son is 17 and he always says that friends are supposed "have each others backs".

This is how I would personally handle this situation if I were in a similar situation. And if this approach works then you have the foundation to start building a plan to get her some help. Please keep us posted on how things are going. My thoughts are with you.
  7. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

The only person who can help her is herself unfortunately. I've quit several drugs and can say that, in my experience (even with tobacco), people trying to help me quit would further aggravate me and generally lead to further drug use to get over it.
    trevermorgana likes this.
  8. trevermorgana

trevermorgana Active Contributor

She is the only one who can make a choice if it seems to hard for her than take her somewhere (if she allows you to). She should talk to a counselor or speak to a professional but the best choice should be rehab first.
  9. egrocket1

egrocket1 Member

The only thing you can do is tell her exactly how you feel. It may work it may not work, but really what can it hurt to tell someone how you feel. Let her know that you are still her friend, but you do not agree with that lifestyle choice. Just be sure you tell her that you are there for her no matter what.
  10. ktdid

ktdid Member

NO!
    NO!
    NO!
    Never should you intentionally facilitate punishments or negative consequences when attempting to help someone. it only serves to breed resentment and distrust. plus, she will have a record that will follow her for the rest of her adult life, and possibly ruin many opportunities for her. if she continues to use, they will happen soon enough anyway.
    let her know how worried, hurt, and scared you are.
    THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS LOVE
  11. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Like others said, it seems that she's aware of her problem, but for a reason or another she can't quit. It's probably addiciton, like you said, too, since she's being taken for 3 months.
    My personal advice would be to have her come to our website and look at what horrendous experiences others had with drugs. It will really help!
    In fact, I was also brought here by a fellow mate, too, and I'm yet to leave, haha.
  12. oraclemay

oraclemay Community Champion

I have been doing a lot of research on drugs as I have had to write articles on them for clients. This has come up time and time again as one of the most difficult addictions to kick. I think the sooner she gets help the better. I would think the longer she takes this drug, the more difficult it is going to be to stop. I don't think she can stop this by herself. You need to get professional advice. I am so sorry you are going through this, but it is going to get a lot worse, not better if you don't do something about it soon.
  13. hetbet

hetbet Member

My friends think I'm addicted to meth, because of how I shake, twitch and sometimes feel really relaxed, that's why I'm sometimes called Meth[or Metthew]. keep in mind I'm only in secondary school..Can anyone please help me ?
  14. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@hetbet... Other than politely explaining to your friends that you're NOT addicted to meth, I'm not sure what else you can do. If your friends don't believe you and continue to tease you about it, maybe it's time to find some new friends.