An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My blood work came back clean...

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Jane, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

So here's something I didn't expect....

I recently had a doctor request blood work be ran on me because she was going to prescribe a drug that might affect my liver. To make sure my liver could handle it, she had all the appropriate lab work done.

I was concerned because I've drank more than my fair share in the past and thought there might be obvious damage. Instead, everything came back quite awesome and she was pleased with my bill of health!

While that part was a relief and quite surprising as well, the more surprising (and scary) part for me is that.... because there wasn't any damage, I almost feel like I'm going to use it as justification. As in, my liver is healthy and handled what I already put it through, so maybe drinking isn't going to hurt it after all... That's silly logic because obviously there are other health hazards and it's not good for me, but do you know what I mean? Like... if it wasn't already damaged, then having a little more probably isn't going to hurt it either...
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

I can see where your coming from with the fact that it's not damaged so might aswell carry on, but I'd be more inclined to think of it as a lucky escape and a second chance to stay clean more than anything else.
  3. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

First of all, congratulations on the clean bill of health.

I see where you're coming from. Future physical health is one of the factors that make people quit drugs or alcohol. But then again, it's not the only factor. I am in the middle of my attempt to control my drinking right now. I always have my reasons on my mind. There are a lot of them. Don't use this great news as a reason for you to... you know. Think of everything you care about and ask yourself how much they will be affected by drinking. That's what I do anyway.
  4. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

You surely felt great knowing that you have a good health and it will be great to keep that way. Maybe your body was not yet damaged of what you have taken already but better to put in mind that it will be damaged if you carry on with that vice.
  5. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Congratulations on the results! It's best to maintain your health in tip top shape from now on, so you won't have to worry the next time you have to take an annual physical exam. Keep up the good work!
  6. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

That's the only thing that has me resisting the urge, to be honest. It was definitely a huge relief, but it does make it more...tempting, I guess. I know that if I go back to my old habits that I'll surely cause damage eventually.
  7. AFKATafcar

AFKATafcar Community Champion

Instead of taking it as justification that you can drink and not face consequences, you should take it as a second opportunity to live the rest of your life with a clean bill of health. I understand that you're trying to fight the habit to drink, and that's the right thing to do. Take your healthy liver as the positive sign it is and then keep fighting the temptation to drink, regardless of how your health is right now.
  8. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Well, that's one way of looking at it. Another way, however, is to simply be grateful that you didn't cause your liver any damage and resolve not to risk it again.
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

I am really glad to hear that your liver is fine. I know from my own experience how great it felt to find out that there was no serious damage done to my liver or other organs during my years of alcohol abuse. But what I really wonder about is: why would you now want to take the risk of ingesting a prescription drug that might cause you liver damage?
  10. kassie1234

kassie1234 Community Champion

Great to hear that your liver hadn't sustained any damage to this point - but I feel like things can have a compounding effect and show themselves suddenly. I wouldn't take it for granted that you've seemed to escape any visible damage -- I would take it as a miraculous thing, that can hopefully spur you on to recovery. Some people really aren't that lucky. I hope it gives you the motivation to quit -- best of luck, and please check in with us to let us know how you're doing.
  11. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Hi Jane! Thanks for posting this! I hope you don't use it as a justification to drink. Just think of that fear and panic you felt when you were waiting for the results. Now multiply it by 10. That is how you are going to feel if you do damage your liver and you will have to take medication just to stay alive. Use this as a chance to change. You got off this time, but damage down the road won't go away.
  12. vegito12

vegito12 Community Champion

It is good the results came saying no damage to the liver and should keep it this way and also, be aware of your intake and will have a good health if you take care of it. Taking in the right amount of nutrition and also having water as well, will keep the body healthy and also your liver will be in good as well and last long. Once it is damaged or on the way there you will, not be able to recover it and will be very hard to live and also hope you take this as a indication to control the drinking.
  13. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is really helpful for you to think that way to remain clean and have a healthy body. You can use it as self motivation.
  14. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Congrats on having clean blood! I hope you continue your sobriety. There is not anything worth fighting for that does not have issues along the way.
  15. aimeep80

aimeep80 Senior Contributor

I'm very glad to hear that your results came back good. My husband is a recovering addict/alcoholic who has recently relapsed on alcohol. When he was at his height of addiction he abused prescription pain pills AND drank vodka and beer and whiskey daily. He got blood work done at the hospital one night when I took him because he begged me to do so. He wanted treatment for his addiction and our local drug rehab center would not take him because he had benzos in his system as well. Anyway, I was very shocked that everything checked out okay, but I think that also gave him the "go ahead" to drink and use more. So I see what you mean by hearing the good news. I hope you continue to focus on your sobriety though, and I wish you nothing but health and happiness.
    Pafpartner likes this.
  16. pineywood

pineywood Community Champion

What great news! I can understand your rationale, but I know, you know how lucky you are to get this clean bill of health! At the same time, I do know of others in this same situation. When faced with the idea to continue to drink alcohol, it was a life changing decision with long-term ramifications.
  17. Pafpartner

Pafpartner Member

I'm glad for you Jane!
    ;)
  18. Nick W.

Nick W. Community Listener Community Listener

I think that at the end of the day you have to decide if that's why you quit drinking in the first place. Was it a health related quit? Or, were there many contributing factors? If so, then only this one thing was changed and the other stuff is still out there and a potential hazard for you, right?
    Pafpartner likes this.
  19. CameronAlsop

CameronAlsop Member

I hate giving blood because I hate needles.