An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My current situation

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by rossonomous, Oct 23, 2014.

1. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

Hello.

I wanted to share my current situation and just see what peoples thoughts are about it. Before I start, I just want to make it clear that I am happy with my life right now and I'm not posting this because I'm in desperate need for any help. It's more to see others opinions and maybe if anyone else can relate.

I've been smoking MJ daily for just about a year now. When I say daily, I mean I have 1/2 in the evening before I go to bed. Occasionally on weekends or days off from uni, I may have 1/2 during the day. Before this, I smoked it as a treat with mates and on rarer occasions. It started to become more regular because I would really enjoy the zone I was in and it was helping me sleep a lot better than I did without. When I started smoking regularly, I lived with another guy who also smoked with me. I still live with this guy, however he has now quit. He told me that he wants to turn the negative parts of his life around and stuff like that.

Now.. why have I bothered posting all of this?

Basically, I enjoy smoking. I love the feeling I get and right now, I can't really see me going a day without it unless I really have to. I've tried stopping for a few days/week here and there but I sleep awful, I'm a lot less energetic the next day and it brings me down a bit.

I'm fully aware that I need to stop before it becomes more and more regular, but right now, I feeel like I am in no position to stop, 90% because I purely don't want to.

I would just be interested to know what your thoughts are on this. Let me also make it clear that smoking has not effected my work or university performance.

I appreciate anyone that reards this taking the time!
  2. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey rossonomous.
    THAT'S HONEST. :)
    I guess if I were fully aware of something I was doing that needed to stop before becoming more and more regular, I'd want to define exactly what "more and more regular" meant to me and write it down, tell someone, hold myself to it. The problem I've had with trying this in the past is I always find a way to justify not just getting to, but exceeding that "more and more regular" point.
  3. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdvice Active Contributor

I know a few pals in my class at University who smoke, and they are progressing in school. They also seem very well, they look very well and they speak well. Everything look good on the outside but I can't imagine what is going on with their bodies on the inside, I like them a lot and I always talk with them, but whenever I see them smoke I'm a bit sad, because I have had people that smoke in my family die because of smoking. I know that you can still lead a healthy life even after years of smoking, but you won't be at your best physically, I believe smoking will cut your " physical best" in half. As @JenSonshine said, thanks for being honest but I'm going to be honest too, I've never heard of marijuana killing anybody but constant use will affect your body negatively.
  4. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

I'll try to define it a bit better. When I finish University, I will be moving onto the next big stage in my life which will be finding a concrete and proper full time job. I intend to move back to London and hopefully within a 1-2 years, I will move in with my girlfriend. This is where I feel it needs to stop. She knows I smoke a bit, but she doesn't know that I smoke daily at the moment. We see eachother every 2-3 weeks atm as she is in London and I'm down on the south coast. It's a stable relationship (almost 3 years now) and both of us are very happy.

But yeah, I would regard that as the most important time for me to stop I think. In my head, I can also see it as a great motivation and I feel I would be likely to stop.. but you never know when the time actually comes.

It's something I try to explain to people that are really anti-drugs. Weed isn't really all that bad. Of course, over a long term it can and will have negative affects, just like any other drug, but i don't like to be seem as a 'druggy' from smoking a bit. Of course, I am aware of the physical effects it will have on my insides and I too have some family members who have passed from cancer. I keep myself in very good shape as I currently stand (i know this is not an excuse) but I am always thinking about the adverse affects it is having which I can't see.

This also remains another motivation for me to cut it out, I'm just waiting for that right time.
  5. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Hi. Thank you for sharing. The fact that you did made you realize there's something that should be done about it by getting people's opinions on your situation. However, at the end of the day, it is still what you want that will matter. It is what it does to you that you will go for. So think about it really well. Sometimes, because you earnestly desire something, you tend to cover up the bad things it does to you. You shrug off or intentionally divert your attention to the benefits it brings. For now, it maybe beneficial. But look at how it's going to affect you in the long run. Anyway, maybe start from decreasing your smoking time or maybe do it alternately, like skip it every other day. Have you had habits that you broke before? How did you do it? Maybe you can do the same to this concern. All the best to you!
  6. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

I fully understand what you mean and I do look more at the positives than the negatives right now. Which is quite funny really, you bring something that is technically 'bad' into your life, but find positives in order to justify it..

I actually use to smoke cigarrettes full time.. and I quit. This was also prior to smoking MJ full-time as well. From the age of 15 I think it was up until 19/20 I was smoking maybe 5-10 a day. One day I just decided that I wasn't actually enjoying cigarrettes anymore (the taste, the feeling afterwards, the smell) and I stopped. Didn't really have any issues stopping either, I remember having one every now and again, but it never satisfied me so I just got rid of them.
    So yeah, I did it really because I just didn't like it anymore.

It's a little different this time, when I've tried quitting I have felt adverse affects e.g Awful nights sleeps whereas before I didn't have these issues.
  7. ariana_

ariana_ Member

Hello, thank you for sharing your story. I think if it isn't affecting your schoolwork, performance, or mental health, and you do not find yourself becoming addicted, it isn't really an issue. If you feel like you can't stop, and that it's interfering with your regular life, then there are tons of resources on this forum to either quit or cut down to a reasonable level. Welcome to the forum, by the way!
  8. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

If it isn't affecting your heath, relationships, or your grades then you seem fine. You realize at some point you will have to cut back or stop altogether and that is a good thing. I would say start cutting back now and start working on stepping down from how much you regularly smoke. Detoxing and going through withdrawals will make you feel bad and make you sleepless unfortunately and I don't really have much advice other than try working out for an hour before you head to bed. Take a nice hot shower beforehand and then try and get some sleep. It is best to start now so the levels of THC in your blood will go down and you can pass a drug test in the future for a job.
  9. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Why not search the internet for healthy options to easily fall asleep. Try all options and see which one works for you, I also have problem falling asleep easily. I've observed that when I get myself mentally active like reading a favorite book and/or physically perked up through exercise, I find it difficult to sleep. So I try my best to avoid these activities an hour or two before my bedtime unless I intend to stay up late. I also listen to relaxing and quiet music to fall asleep. And prayers, just a casual and light conversation with God, do wonders to me. :) I wish you well on your journey to change rossonomous!
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  10. bourge_21

bourge_21 Senior Contributor

I once enjoyed smoking up to the point that I was consuming at least a pack of cigarettes daily. That happened for 5 months. The point is I did not take smoking seriously that I didn't get addicted. I think it is more of a psychological issue to counter smoking addiction.
  11. bluekknd2

bluekknd2 Member

Most bad habits don't start out as an uncontrollable nightmare. It chips away over years and years. It is really a question that you have to ask yourself "Is this what I want to be doing with my life?" The answer may surprise you, and is bound to change over the years. Just stop and ask yourself every once in awhile.
  12. MrsJones

MrsJones Community Listener Community Listener

Hi, I won't bother repeating but only agree with the others comments, but I have to ask or maybe you should also think about "Are you indulging because you know that you have intentions of quitting ... when the time is right? I believe it's a fair question to ask yourself. Maybe that will help you to slow down and eventually stop all together, before 'that' right time.
  13. rossonomous

rossonomous Member

Cor, lots of replies! I appreciate you all taking the time to read.

I have tried a few ways of getting to slee naturally, such as putting yourself in a mental zone, listening to calming music, a couple of herbal remedies - Nothing really did much for me. And then I consider my weed as a herbal remedy anyway haha. When it comes to the sleep side of things, I really think it's just going to be a case of dealing with it being tough and just having to wait it out until my sleeping pattern goes back to normal.

I'm in the process of trying to cut down now and only smoking 1 right before bed and doing the same on weekends. I did that yesterday successfully, however I had a friend over on Saturday during the day and we both smoked.

My main aim right now is to definitely chip away at the amount and try to keep it to the bare minimum on a day-to-day basis.
  14. stariie

stariie Community Champion

Years ago my dad told me that I had a problem with smoking so much mj, my response to him was that I only smoked once a day. He told me that smoking once a day was indeed a problem.

To me, weed is a particularly tricky drug because first and foremost, people try to convince you (or you convince yourself) that it is not a drug at all. It's a plant, it's an herb, it's natural. But I had to come to terms with the fact that I was indeed a weed addict, glaringly apparent when I didn't have it.

I needed to do something about it as I didn't like being a slave to it. I wanted to keep my weed-money. I wanted to stop smoking. I did not like feeling like I needed it.

It IS possible to quit, but for me it was not easy. Weed can be a very seductive drug, and sometimes not easily mastered. But you can quit if (when) you want to. May not be easy, but it is definitely do-able.
  15. bourge_21

It's really surprising how a start begins rolling like forever. I often remember the saying that once you taste a cigarette, it's the start of addiction. It's both a warning and an encouragement. It persuades the curious or tells him not to enter a controversial door.
  16. bourge_21

Now there's a fine line between indulging and addiction. Indulging is a escape, somewhat reversible. Addiction is deeper, there are issues underneath.
  17. wowtgp

wowtgp Member

If you have trouble sleeping just because of sleeping withdrawal, you should see a doctor soon. It's more serious than you think. Lack of sleep is one of the main withdrawal symptoms that can be cured y proper attention.
  18. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

Hi! Here's my personal take on your situation now: Stop it before it gets worse. You've mentioned that despite the fact that you're smoking, your performance with work has not been compromised. But if you continue smoking, your work will eventually be affected. And not only your work, but your whole life in general. And we don't want you to reach that point.
  19. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

You are addicted, plain and simple. Just as most addicts, they think they cannot and don't want to stop unless something drastic happens. Your addiction is only going to get worst with time, no matter how well you think you are maintaining a positive balance with work and school. The fact that the boyfriend quit and stated he is trying to erase the negative, it means that it was affecting him negatively and the same applies to you. Being unable to sleep without smoking, may be a withdrawal syndrome. He may leave you sooner than later, when he cannot take it anymore. Once you break the habit, you will try to stay away from people who may cause you to do it again, Knowing it was no good for you. It is solely your choice to stop as no-one can force you to.
  20. kfontroy

kfontroy Active Contributor

do you honestly see it as a problem or are you worried about other peoples opinins or views of you?