An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My Daughter Motivated Me To Change

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by LoveEcho, Aug 20, 2015.

1. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

When I turned 21 I started drinking heavily, it caused my weight to skyrocket. So, I started making myself throw up after eating then drink. I did this for close to a year. It destroyed my health, mostly my dental health. The acid in my stomach caused my terth to rot even though I brushed regularly. I started buying painkillers to help with the constant toothaches and soon began abusing them alomg with alcohol. I had wanted to stop and I wanted to fix my teeth but I didn't have insurance, money or motivation. Until I found out I was pregnant. At first I was sure I'd have to have an abortion because there was no way I'd be able to deliver a healthy baby, I felt it would be the responsible thing to do even though I didn't want to. But, I contacted a crisis pregnancy center in my area and they helped me get on medicaid and visit an OBGYN, he told me the fetus was healthy after an ultrasound. I couldn't drink after I got pregent if wanted to, just the smell would cause me to puke. I even threw up once after watching someone drink on TV. My unborn child motivated me to fix myself so I could have a healthy baby and be the best mother I could. Medicaid covered some dental procedures. I needed 21 fillings and 5 root canals, they didn't cover the canals so I had 3 of the teeth pulled. It caused almost all my pain to stop and any toothache I did get could be fixed with Tylenol. I went through withdrawal very early in my pregnancy, it was a rough few days. Withdrawal and morning sickness combined were awful. I didn't go to rehab because I didn't need to just knowing I was carrying a healthy baby was enough to stop me cold turkey.

I gave birth to a prefectly healthy 6 pound 3 ounce baby girl on March 6, 2014. It was rough and I received a 2nd degree tear and was prescribed Oxycodone even though I was breastfeeding. I took less than half of my prescription with no temptation to take more.

I spent a year drinking all day, even while at work and combining it with painkillers. I was taking everything from hydrocodone to oxycotin and even snorting them to ease toothaches, hangovers and to get high. Now, I can occasionally have a couple glasses of wine without an urge for more.

I named my daughter Echo and she's the best thing that's ever happened to me for many, many different reasons. She's my whole world.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

I am so glad that having your little girl, Echo, was motivation enough for you to get clean. That little girl needs her mommy to be happy and healthy. Looking at your profile picture, you are a beautiful young lady. You have been through so much but you are on the right road now and life will be so much better then it was for you. Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us. I am glad you found us. You can be a motivation to so many people. I am very proud of you!
    LoveEcho likes this.
  3. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Wow, that was a great story man. glad to hear it worked out for you. you're lucky you have her and welcome to the forum.
    LoveEcho likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@LoveEcho... Thanks for sharing with us! I'm so glad you've found a better life! What a great thing for you to do for your daughter...and for you!

Wishing you nothing but continued awesomeness!! :)
    LoveEcho likes this.
  5. LoveEcho

LoveEcho Community Champion

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! It really means a lot to me. I was good to share my story you all in a judge-free environment. I don't tell it very often because people can be mean, it's great to hear supportive things. I'm sure I'll enjoy here.:)
    deanokat likes this.
  6. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@LoveEcho... I think you'll find that we are a very supportive, helpful, and kind community. We've all had issues, so we are pretty non-judgmental. I'm glad you feel comfortable here and we're happy to have you. :)
    LoveEcho likes this.
  7. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

LoveEcho, I read your story and it brought a warm smile to my face. I can hear that "Echo" that tells me everything is going to be fine with you and the love of your life. I am always so happy when I read stories such as your own. I am happy you decided to share it with us. I am always hopeful that others will benefit from the stories shared here. Continue to do well and there will only be support and love from this community...no judgment.
    deanokat and LoveEcho like this.
  8. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

That was really nice. :)
    Great to know that you was able to kick the bad habits with the help of your lovely daughter. She is lucky to have a loving mother like you.
  9. whitenoise

whitenoise Senior Contributor

It's both a pleasant and sad story honestly. I mean you've been strunggling with alchool and all that unhealthy stuff and thanks to your daughter you managed finally to get out of the hole you were stuck into. It's, as said, a wonderful and sad story but I guess that at the end you managed to get back onto the right track.
    LoveEcho likes this.
  10. norms options

norms options Active Contributor

What an amazing story. This is such a bitter sweet tale with a wonderful ending. Although I realize it is not over yet, it sounds like you have a really good handle on your problem. I went through a long period of heavy alcohol use myself and can sympathize with the withdrawal that you must have went through and I would like to congratulate you for conquering this demon. You must be a very strong willed individual and that is very respectable. What a blessing Echo is for you and she is lucky to have such a amazing mother.
  11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

As a parent our children are our most precious gift from God....Your daughter is truly a great blessing that motivated and changed your life...I do hope and pray for your continuing change in your life and that you and your daughter will be happy together always...
    LoveEcho and deanokat like this.
  12. ellyjude

ellyjude Active Contributor

Your story is so touching. I wish i had a daughter like yours. Now do you see the benefits of having kids around you? Even though we do not see their contribution in important matters, their advantage comes at a moment when we least expect it. Good luck on the new path you have chosen.
  13. Wordsmith75

Wordsmith75 Member

That was really inspirational to hear your story. Alcohol really does take everything it can from us. I cant even imagine how it must be to also deal with an eating disorder on top of that. Dental pain can be unbelievably unbearable. I recently re-read "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey and it recounted in such excruciating detail the procedures his character had endured during his stay in rehab. If you haven't read it, I highly suggest it.

Anyway, thank you for sharing your story and I'm so happy to hear that you and your daughter are well.
    P.S. - Love the name Echo, reminds me of a quote "What we do in life, echoes in eternity"
  14. mooray

mooray Active Contributor

Your story motivates. Sometimes we find the strength within us when we look through others people.
  15. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

I'm really happy for you since you found a good motivator to stop your drinking, you should keep your good health for your daughter, you don't want to leave her too early ! so please take care of your self and stop this bad habbit !
  16. E.Mil

E.Mil Community Champion

It's good to hear that your daughter motivated you and that you are doing good. Children are great reasons to push us were we need to be and sometimes they are just what we need to get us moving in the right direction. I know my son constantly motivates me to keep striving and achieving my goals.
    LoveEcho likes this.
  17. dechantajones

dechantajones Active Contributor

When I found out I was pregnant I also stopped drinking. I was a heavy drinker right up to the point I found out I was pregnant and was lucky to have a healthy baby. Something about becoming a parent made me want to change and live a more healthy lifestyle. Its been 15 years and I still have not returned to drinking.
    LoveEcho likes this.
  18. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

I am just kind of speechless after reading your testimony. Love does make the world go round. And your love for your daughter gave you a whole new reason for living. Hopefully, she'll grow up happily, always standing by your side whenever you need her. Wishing you and Echo all the love in the world!
    LoveEcho likes this.
  19. Steve Dawson

Steve Dawson Community Champion

A wonderful story, I'm so glad that you found a way to turn your life around and even continue to drink in moderation, thats quite an acheivement and a testament to your willpower and strength. I also suffered from fairly severe dental problems, mainly caused by my years of drinking and suffered enormous pain from it. I know its not everyones preferred outcome but getting 5 teeth pulled made me a much stronger person, far healthier and happier after years of agonizing pain. Congratulations on your great tenacity and best of luck for you and Echo in the future.
    LoveEcho likes this.
  20. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there @LoveEcho! Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story to us. Wow, it seems that you have already went through so much things in life, and I am totally glad to know you are now finally back on track. I hope this good change in you would continue in the long run. Always make your daughter your inspiration. All the best! :)
    LoveEcho likes this.