An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My days of RoBO

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by jsscjcbs, Nov 20, 2014.

1. jsscjcbs

jsscjcbs Member

My conquest started with using Robotussin heavily. I was about sixteen when I tried it and had been hooked on it since that age. I'm over it now though. I guess when you are a teen those type of OTC drugs are the only ones to easily access unless you have some friends in higher places. As time went on it went from a twice a month thing to a week binge at times. I even joined the Dextoverse which was a site dedicated to people who enjoyed drinking the stuff. I don't know if it exist now. I had overdosed many times on it, and one time lead me to the emergency room!:eek: When that happened I sworn to never do it again, but then those thoughts started creeping back in my head to try it again, just not so much, and I did. My ROBO adventure lasted all of 11 years. Since I'm 27 now, I barley quit a year ago; and that was do the fact that I almost had another near death experience that was caused by a 3 day binge. I'm threw with that part of my life although I do miss those colorful, mystical voyages I use to experience while traveling through that hyperspace.
    Nick W. likes this.
  2. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Good thing you throw that part of your life away! Congratulations for becoming a drug free man! Never look back to those days, you lost nothing, in fact you won everything by quitting!
    Nick W. and jsscjcbs like this.
  3. jsscjcbs

jsscjcbs Member

Thanx, I just wish I can go back in time and not have used any substances. It dosent do anything good for you it just holds you back and make you regret.
  4. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your story. It is so easy to get your hands on these OTC meds and it is unfortunate that our system has failed you. If only they had better restrictions on this then you might have had less of a problem. Stay strong and move onward!
    jsscjcbs likes this.
  5. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

This is odd. I just watched an episode of House where the patient had an exceptionally high IQ. However, his life as a genius made him lonely and miserable and he decided to dull his feelings through robo-tripping. He knew that excessive long-term consumption of cough syrups would eventually dumb him down, effectively making him less miserable. Needless to say, House found out what the root cause of his condition was and treated him accordingly. I know this is just a show, but still. Robotussin could cause mental retardation, couldn't it? If that's the case, then good for you for staying clean while you're still in your prime.
  6. jsscjcbs

jsscjcbs Member

Coool, I don't know if robo causes mental retardation completely but to me it seemed like it shortned my attention span and short term memory.
  7. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

11 years is such a long time but you being able to break such a solid habit is nothing short of miraculous. Not everyone gets to be that successful. I hope you will continue to maintain this momentum. Never ever be dependent on such a substance again because the you who isn't intoxicated by any drug has so much more to give to this world.
  8. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

It's nice to know that you have already quit this addiction for good. Way to go! Just keep moving forward and learn from all those experiences in the past.
    jsscjcbs likes this.
  9. Charli

Charli Community Champion

I'd never tried this before but if it was affecting your life negatively then I'm glad you were able to get off it before it did any lasting damage. Starting out that young with an addiction is almost always very worrying because you're not usually mature enough to handle it at that point but at least as people grow older they become wiser.
    jsscjcbs likes this.
  10. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I'm wondering where were your parents when all that was happening? Did they know? But since that is all in the past, I'm glad that you were able to break free from the chains of consuming cough syrup and is now living a better, drug-free life. It's a good thing that you didn't think of trying out other drugs, since if you did it could get a lot worse. Good job, give yourself a pat on the back!
  11. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Congratulations for starting a new life in soberland! :) 11 years was really long and I'm glad you managed to pull yourself together and decided to leave your addiction behind. There will be many trials to come and challenge your sobriety so just hold on to it and avoid temptation. As long as you have a strong will and determination to stay sober, you will definitely achieve a better life.