An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My dear son

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by regicide3342, Apr 18, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

I agree with Winterybella, you should talk to him about the marijuana use and why he is doing it. It will show your son that you are the kind of parent who cares what is going on in his life. There are so many parents that go into denial about such things. Perhaps there is a reason that he feels he needs to turn to marijuana...stress in school, peer pressure, ect. Kids at that age are very impressionable and maybe he just feels that it is the "cool" thing to do and might not even realize how bad it is for his health.
  2. brookeemily

brookeemily Active Contributor

I would try to make it seem like you aren't confronting him when bringing it up. Try just having a discussion about the subject of drug use, then maybe ask if he knows anyone at school who uses it, etc. Eventually he will probably feel comfortable to discuss with you openly. Good luck!
  3. Go talk to him but make it as light as possible, though not casual. If you let it pass, things will be awkward between you. Just talk to him and direct him. Tell him the dangers of drugs and the harm they'll do to his life in general. Don't tell him what to do like, 'this is my house'. He is fifteen and that will just lead him to do stupid things like leaving home.
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

I would have to agree with this, but don't make the subject so blatantly obvious. Sneakily put in the subject of drug abuse.
  5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

The more openly we can talk to kids the better. If we let them know that we will not completely shame them for their indiscretions, they will not feel so bad about talking about things like drug use. Most teens and young adults know at least one person who is using drugs, even if they are not doing it personally. We have to let our kids know that we are not there to throw the hammer down on them, but that we are there to help them.
  6. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

I think more than anything you should educate your child about all drugs. Don't just talk about the negatives, teens should know everything. If you only talk about the negatives they will wonder about the other side. When they have all the facts they can make an informed decision. Teach them how to research, teach them how to know what's safe. Give them the tools to figure out what to do on there own. Teens will do whatever they want to. Wether you know about it or not.
  7. Adrianna

Adrianna Community Champion

I guess its a little late for the conversation about staying away from drugs. Its tricky. "I smell marijuana. Can I have some? Are you going to share?"
    I mean its already done. Now you've got to figure out how to break the ice. Make a big deal and it could become an addiction. It doesn't come with a writeup of side effects but you can certainly find a way to toss the information up. Its going to depend upon your relationship with him. Doesn't seem like you've covered the bases. I guess its better to start earlier with education.