An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My drinking

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by AAngelo, Apr 7, 2015.

1. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

I started drinking when I was in college like most individual. I started out drinking once a month. Then it became once a week and eventually it became everyday. I usually went to class tipsy. Luckily, my professors were quite liberal and as long as you can cope, they were cool with it. I thought to myself that I would kick the habit once I finish school. I said the same about cigarettes and pot. I was confident and it never crossed my mind how my vices can hurt me.

Fast forward to now. I'm a single professional with a stable job. I was able to stop smoking and toking. I cannot say the same about drinking. I still can't focus without drinking a few beers. I usually drink brandy to help me fall asleep. During the weekends, I'd get so drunk that the next time I see my drinking buddies, it becomes a bit awkward thanks to what I said/did while drunk. I've lost quite a few friends because of this.

Drinking has been my problem for a decade. I feel my social life has been severely affected. If my job was not of the solitary nature, my professional career may be wrecked already. I'm starting to resist drinking again. Hopefully, I can get out of it clean.
  2. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I think you are taking the right step in changing your life for the better. Since you already admitted to yourself that you have a problem, the next step is to either quit cold turkey or lessen the amount of your drinking bit by bit. If you think you need the help of a professional, then seek professional help. I wish you all the best in your recovery.
  3. TommyVercetti

TommyVercetti Community Champion

Alcoholism brings out the worst in everybody, and nothing good can come out of it in the long term. I speak of course from personal experience. I almost died before I had the sense to stop drinking. If it didn't come to that, I don't know if I ever would have, but then I wouldn't have met my wife and wouldn't have had my kids. I don't regret that I stopped, and I don't have the slightest craving for it anymore.
  4. mombee

mombee Member

It takes a great deal of courage to admit you have a issue with drinking. Remember that you must live in the present and not the past. I quite drinking about 12 years ago. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. When I started I had a wise person tell me about taking each day at a time. The past can eat you alive. I became dependent on alcohol like I would a cane if I had a bad leg. It was more about breaking the habit then anything else. So when I crave a drink I usually try to take a walk, meditate or read a book. I think that is so wonderful that you are desiring a change. Have strength in your new path.
  5. xTinx

xTinx Community Champion

Quitting alcohol - or any substance for that matter - is a work in progress. There is no short-cut and the odds may be against you once in a while. Still, if you persevere and never lose sight of your purpose in life, you'll be able to break the habit long before you know it. So I suggest you keep the faith and endure. Think of your loved ones as you journey towards recovery.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

I think you'll be able to overcome your drinking issues/problems in the near future because wow, you've been successful quitting smoking, so why not alcohol, right? I could really feel that there would come a time when you could finally say goodbye to alcohol. Just take one step at a time, don't force yourself too much, you'll get there someday. Be patient.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Admitting that you might have a problem is half the battle because not a lot of people want to admit that they have issues, especially when it comes to alcohol. I think a lot of this comes from the fact that it's legal and a lot of people just see having a beer as the norm.

Giving up alcohol or at least cutting back takes a lot of willpower and people can say that you should do it for your family or for other various reasons but the fact is you've got to do it for yourself aswell. If you think you have a problem then there's only you that can do something about it.

Other people can support you but at the end of the day it's down to you.
  8. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Community Champion

You have noticed that you have a problem and know what would happen if your job was not one in which you can be alone so that is a huge step in the right direction. All you need to do now is figure out how you are going to quit drinking for good. It sounds like you are more than capable since you have already managed to quit cigarettes and weed. Good luck to you and keep us updated.
  9. diprod

diprod Active Contributor

Have you tried meditating? It is one of the most effective solutions out there. Not a lot of people know this and still many are skeptical, but seriously it can be the answer to pretty much any kind of addiction. Try it sometimes.
  10. AAngelo

AAngelo Senior Contributor

So, it had been Monday that I had been without a drink. But my brother and his wife had a house warming party yesterday... hehe. I was baited into drinking beer since my family is composed of mostly drinkers. Luckily, I was drinking with my family. My dad and other brother decided we had had enough beer at around my 9th bottle. Now, it's pretty hard for me. I'm trying not to go out and buy a bottle of brandy. I don't want to stop drinking completely. I just want to be able to drink and stop once the party stops.
  11. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

Life is a journey my friend. I had my party moments in high school and college. Then when I entered the work force the partying got worse because the alcohol was the release from stress related from work. Life isn't over, it has just begun. One step at a time buddy.
  12. Nick Anthony

Nick Anthony Active Contributor

I really wish the best for you man. It may be harder to stop drinking, because your family drinks as well. But I think it's great that you can recognize a problem and through your own will want to stop your habit. Have you tried maybe getting into a hobby or learning something new that can occupy your time so your mind isn't focused on drinking?
  13. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWench Community Champion

The sad truth is it's easier to put down other addictions when you have one to lean on. I wish it weren't true. The best suggestion I can give you is if you feel the temptation is too much around them you're going to have to nix your drinking buddies. I've found it's possible for some to hang out with a seltzer & lime while others drink but I'd suggest not tempting it until you know for certain. Also, don't let trial & error affect your ability to try again. To err is human of course. We're not perfect. If you fall get back up. The shame spirals are easy to get lost in & easily fuel further drinking.
  14. XiaoDre

XiaoDre Active Contributor

College is the place where people usually start to drink. Some people like me start drinking in high school. Once people begin to drink, they will start off slow until they become used to it. I have also been in class tipsy in high school and college. I was able to function in high school but when I went to college, I flunked two of my classes due to drinking and partying too hard. I have lost friends and some family members will not deal with me anymore because of my crazy drunken outburst. I have learned my lesson now. Even though I still drink a lot, I do not let my emotions get the best of me when alcohol is involved. Control your anger or it will control you.
  15. cpinatsi

cpinatsi Senior Contributor

It is really important that you decided to quit drinking, and I know from personal experience that this is a quite hard thing to do. The hardest part though is to actually make it, so best of luck and stay strong. Seek help whenever you feel like it from your family, friends and professionals as it gets easier to get through all this.
  16. rightct

rightct Community Champion

Good thing you're doing there, mate! Don't let others say you can't do it, because you are definitely capable from what I can see. You realizing it is probably more important than you can possibly imagine, but it's alright... you will see in the future that self-motivation is definitely one of the most influential factors in the equation.