An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My father-in-law is refusing medical help

Discussion in 'Questions About Treatment' started by anne16, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Sadly not much can be done when someone refuses to get help, I am afraid nothing can be done, other than hope for the best. But you could also try to take him to a AA meeting, at least talk about the possibility. See what he thinks, the rest is really up to him, because you can't really force someone to want to get help... he needs to see he has a problem, how can you lead him to do that? You can't, you can only hope for the best.
  2. danjon

danjon Senior Contributor

This is the perennial problem when it comes to intervening in someone's else's addiction: does the balance of self-autonomy of the addict outweigh the damage their behaviors are doing to other people. The answer is always based on specifics, but getting that answer wrong can have huge long-term effects....
  3. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

Ultimately it is his choice. Short of a court order you cannot make him seek or accept treatment. At least in most jurisdictions that is the case and that is how it should be.
  4. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

I'm really sorry that this is happening in your life right now. Unfortunately, your father in law is his own person, and no one can force him to do something he doesn't want to do. Most likely, at his age, it is pretty difficult for him to change his habits. If there is someone he full trusts, say your mother in law, a good friend, or whoever else, then hopefully they can give facts and opinions on why he should seek medical help.
  5. Apollo545

Apollo545 Active Contributor

Really all that you could do is convince him to go. Tell him to go for the family, even if it makes him uncomfortable it will give everyone (including himself) a little piece of mind when he is cared for and everything is in the green. I personally hate hospitals, but I know that they are necessary and do a great deal of good for people who need it.
  6. kgord

kgord Community Champion

I am sorry to say there is probably not much you can do. I wish you and husband peace with this situation though. I know how difficult it can be. It is got to be excruciating. However, it sounds like you have done what you can do. I hope you can find peace with this situation, and go on from here.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Sadly to say that there are some people who are that hard headed even they got sick already. Maybe just try and try to convince him and not be the first to give up. Maybe he eventually realize or think about things better.