An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My father is addicted to crack cocaine and marijuana

Discussion in 'Marijuana' started by Davienna, Oct 23, 2014.

1. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I grew up with my mother, sisters and step dad as my mother decided to leave my father when I was two years old and the youngest of her three children with him. He was abusive both physically and emotionally, so I have n regrets that she had done that. I am now 24 years and my father is still addicted to these rather harmful drugs and he has been to rehab twice.
    He will take occasional breaks from the cocaine, then as soon as he regain a little weight and feeling fine it is back to the drug for him. The marijuana is his life however, absolutely no breaks from it. Even no that I am living a far distance from him, it does bother me that he will live the rest of his life being addicted and living like a mad man.
    He will not allow anyone to help him as he does not think he needs the help. What do I do from here? Is there a way from me to force him or have the law take him to rehab or does it definitely has to be voluntarily? If it is the latter though, I am sure there is no way that he is going to change and live a normal life.
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

You can't force someone to give up an addiction. Even if you locked up that person, when they get free, as long as they weren't willing to give up the addiction just yet, they'd still go back once they get the chance.

But you needn't give up on him just yet. I have a firm belief that there's nothing in life LOVE can't conquer. All you need to do is stay in touch with your father and gently but persistently try to get him to give quitting another try. Even if he has a relapse after some time, do it again . . . and again.

Eventually, you'll win.
  3. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Hey Davienna,
    Involuntary commitment for substance abuse would require a court order, so no, I don't believe there's a way for you to force him to go. The court would have the option to order it if he committed a crime - so the only option for getting that ball rolling would be to somehow have him set up while in possession of the drugs. Unfortunately recovery isn't something that can be forced on anyone, regardless of whether it's court ordered or not.
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Like Jen S. has stated, I don't think you could force it on him unless he has committed crimes related to it. I personally don't think treatment can be forced upon anyone as it requires a lot of willpower and if the person in the program isn't willing then that would make it all the more difficult. I think the best way would be to make him realize what he is doing to his family and how this makes you feel, and if it doesn't work you have to be able to understand and let go for it is not really in your control.
  5. Survivor21

Survivor21 Member

First of all, thank you so much for posting. It requires a lot of courage to share with others what you're going through. I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I have to agree with the others, I don't think there's a way that you can legally force your father to get help. All I can say is that I'm also struggling with a family member who's suffering from an addiction and is extremely resistant to getting help. The most important thing you need to remember is that you need to take care of yourself first. Second, you need to stay focused on working with your father. Please do keep us updated.
  6. Recovery101

Recovery101 Member

I am really sorry to hear what is happening to your family and self. The fact that your dad is addicted to several substances is quite disturbing. I can only imagine the trauma that this has caused. There is no legal way to have him enter rehab as the need for change must come from the inside.
  7. pwarbi

pwarbi Community Champion

Unfortunately like others have said, he has to want to give up before he can actually take the necessary steps in achieving that goal.

There's no amount of convincing off anybody in the world that can make up an addicts mind. It's got to first come from their own need to quit.