An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My father

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by Lucy, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Lucy

Lucy Member

When I had to endure living with my father, he was an alcoholic and a drug addict. He was very abusive all the time. He would just beat the **** out of you because his beer was gone. Yeah...because that is your child's fault? Idk... anyway does anyone else know any alcoholics like this?
  2. tasha

tasha Community Listener Community Listener

Most alcoholics are like this! They get so bad and live in another world unaware of what they are saying or doing. Their minds are gone and all they can see is the alcohol. They forget that they have children, a wife and a life aay from alcohol and when it runs out, yes, that is when the family needs to run! Drugs and alcohol are a terrible life altering demon that puts the addict into a dark hole, almost like they have had their brains taken out and the only thing in there is the addiction. They don't know what they are saying or doing because they dont have a thought process. It is damaging to those that love them and to be a child and have your security taken away is no easy life. Just remember that you can have a better life and that it was never about you, the anger the hurt and all the abuse was because he was in a dark place with no knowledge of where he was.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

That was my mom. But she stopped beating me when I got taller and bigger than her. Her own personal demons made life hell while growing up. Eventually when I moved she would always find a way back into my life to give me more grief. It was like she had fun creating havoc in our lives even though we grew up and moved away.
  4. KC Sunshine

KC Sunshine Member

My dad liked to drink. Every day. In excess. But always with a meal and always with company. He did these things to enjoy himself and indulge in the pleasures of food and conversation. Sometimes, this led to an excess of alcohol consumption. I first got drunk on a cruise ship with my dad when I was eleven or twelve. But I never drank regularly -- although you could count on me to drink in excess when I did drink. But my Dad. Sometimes single malt scotch, sometimes red wine. Every day. He never beat me or my sisters, or ever laid a hand on us. But he could use his words and attitude with sharp precision. And he did hurt us sometimes. He likes to drink. He even admits that he's an alcoholic. Sometimes. He's very sensitive, as a man. So we all tread lightly. It's all very alienating as a child.
  5. Ronsa

Ronsa Active Contributor

Most alcoholics are acting liking this. They may not aware that they are hurting others because their mind is controlled by alcohols. Drugs will make the matters even worse.
  6. Lexi

Lexi Member

I have never known an abusive person like this. (alcoholic or non-alcoholic) When I hear stories like this it is eye opening. I've never witness this sort of abuse yet, you hear about it all the time in the media. I don't understand what goes into creating a person that acts out in that way. That is a broken human being. You cannot be someone of that nature and be happy with your life. Something went wrong early on in life for those people and drugs/alcohol do not help.

I hate hearing people talk about abuse. There is no reason any of this abuse should exist.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

Not all alcoholics get violent when they are drunk. My old man for example used to love flinging insults left and right. It's as bad, if not worse than a beating because words . . . you can't erase them from your mind. The drunk person won't remember what they said but each time you see them, you'll hate them for what they said. It's the #1 reason why families where one parent was an alcoholic split up.
    Lexi likes this.
  8. Lexi

Lexi Member

I don't allow those types of people into my life. I think it's a good idea to keep them away. It may not always be a drunk person either. Some people just love to insult others and it's not fun to be around. It's a very difficult circumstance when it is a family member that acts like this but, my advice would still be to separate yourself from that situation if possible.

Most people want you to fail in life. When one person is successful, it puts pressure on others around them to be as well. Both family and friends are included. Actions speak louder than words. Separate yourself from negative people. There are good people all around and associating with them will lead you down a more enjoyable path in life. That is what I found to be true in my life.