An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My Father

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Kit, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Kit

Kit Member

For the past few years my father has become more and more dependent on marijuana. He has gone so far to pawn my mother's jewelry. Every time he promises to change but he is yet to do so; just today he went and bought more. Furthermore he becomes aggressive and shouts at me if I ever attempt to confront him, my mother gets much the same reaction. I don't know what to do, if anyone can offer some help I would really appreciate it.
  2. Dominica

Dominica Recovery Advocate @ Moving Beyond Codependency Community Listener

@Kit hello and welcome. sorry to hear your father is addicted to marijuana. it's challenging to be around a loved one with an addiction. there's not much you can do if he doesn't want to stop... nar-anon teaches you didn't cause it, you can't control it, and you can't cure it..... but you can work on how you react... and how you can best support him.

maybe read up on some al-anon or nar-anon literature... or if you want, go to a meeting... or read a book on the topic. Beyond Addiction is a good book for loved ones of addicts to read.

maybe you and your mom could attend a support group together... seems as if there may be some boundary issues going on (pawning jewelry)

codependent no more book may be a good read too.

it's not easy for you .... and he probably just doesn't want to stop yet... maybe he will one day and i hope so!!!

does this help?