An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My Friend's seriously addicted to weed, syrups, you name it

Discussion in 'Helping an Addicted Loved One' started by djdrug, Jan 21, 2016.

1. djdrug

djdrug Community Champion

My friend who also happened to be my roommate in college is seriously addicted to weed and a lot of other substances. Plus he has found guys at work who aid his addictions further. He also seems to find all sorts of substances such as thinners, cough syrups, painkillers, etc. to abuse. Its really really bad now. Basically, he went off to work for an oil company. The place was in the middle of nowhere and he developed all sorts of addictions there. Now that he is back, we've discovered his addictions or are slowly finding out.

He recently had his first kid, and you know I just can't see him go on like this. No one can. But, the problem is that he still has access to a lot of drugs via his colleagues. I haven't told his wife and she doesn't know anything yet. I mean she knows he smokes weed sometimes, but she doesn't know that he is always on some drug or the other. Should I tell her? And how do I help him?
  2. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

I think you need to talk to your friend first find out if he is willing to change now that he a kid and more responsibilities. If his response is negative [most addicts never will admit they have a problem] then as a family friend you need to tell his wife about his addiction problem. Maybe she'll do a better job at convincing him to stop using drugs.
  3. djdrug

Well, I know that he is not willing. But, I see your point. I am more afraid that his wife will take some rash action and that would lead him further into his own dark dark world. I think I'll try your way. Thanks.
  4. djdrug

Just an update: I have discussed with his wife. We are going to do an intervention tomorrow. Let us see what happens. I really don’t want to be the villain in this thing. Hopefully, he won’t see me as such.
  5. L_B

L_B Community Champion

How did the intervention go? I hope it all went well and that he realizes that you are concerned about him and only looking out for him and his health. I am hoping that it all went well. Please update us when you get a chance to do so!
  6. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Agree that better to talk about it with your friend. he might help him realize that he should address the problem as early as possible by telling him your concerns and the possible bad results he might be facing if he did not stop his addictions.
  7. JonnyMacdonald

JonnyMacdonald Community Champion

Did he go off to work in the oil sands? I know a few people that did that. I guess they make A LOT of money and have not much to do so drugs are rampant. They are starting to crack down and implement testing and "dry camps."

Good luck on the intervention! They are lucky to have a supportive friend like you I will pray things work out for them and their little one.
  8. darkrebelchild

darkrebelchild Community Champion

It would be best if you did not tell the wife anything and allow her find out herself. What you can do is put pressure on the guy to quit because it is destroying him and will eventually tear him away from his family.

Being there for the guy will make him realize what a good person you are and that you have his best interest at heart.
  9. amr13

amr13 Member

Did you ever go through with the intervention? I have learned that when approaching addicts much of it is dependent on their personality type and also yours. It seems like it has to be delivered and worded just the right way in order for the addict to maybe have a small window of truth. It is definitely no easy task especially when they are not thinking rationally but hopefully something you or a loved one says, shines a little light and resonates with them. Good luck.
  10. Noreht

Noreht Active Contributor

I would also like to know if you went through with the intervention. My brother in law, to be, I am engaged to his sister is an addict with a similar situation. He use to get drugs from work colleagues, he has now stopped working but is still getting drugs from friends. He lives with his parents and they are oblivious to his drug use. How do we get him to stop? He has been to rehab before