An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My girlfriend is addicted to nicotine, wants to stop, but...

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by sllrambleon, Feb 19, 2015.

1. sllrambleon

sllrambleon Member

She has expressed her desire to stop on numerous occasions, but after a day or two she will rebound and start again. All of her attempts were based on cold turkey method, and now I am wandering if I could have contributed with a suggestion of some other way to stop. What is the "best"* method to stop smoking and how do I convince her to try again?

*I am sorry, I know there is no best method, but from your experience the most successful one.
  2. bsthebenster

bsthebenster Community Champion

It depends on the person. Statistically, it seems cold turkey is the "best" method as it apparently has the highest success rate. Personally though, my longest smoke-free streak of three weeks was attained with the patches.
  3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

It doesn't sound like she is too deep into it. So going cold turkey might work. If she is going to quit she needs to separate herself from it. There shouldn't be any cigarettes around the house or in the car. Are you keeping her away from it and reminding her?
  4. Charli

Charli Community Champion

Try convincing her to try out vaping. If you are able to get one of those strong ones then it can serve as a very good substitute for smoking and it's much better and less harsh on the lungs since it's just vapor instead of actual smoke, and there isn't any tar in them like in cigarettes. Another good thing is that you can get lots of flavors for it whereas in cigarettes you only get one.
  5. mikka254

mikka254 Member

Well you have to understand that nicotine is normally a case of routine. Tell her to stop going to the places that trigger her need to get nicotine such as bars or social places where people smoke. She should stay away from these places until she is able to get selfcontrol.
  6. Jane

Jane Active Contributor

There's definitely no "best" method here. Different methods work for different people.

For your girlfriend, even cold turkey might still work.... but she may need better motivation, replacements, etc in place. Try to figure out what her reasons for going back to smoking are. For many, it's the habit. If she's used to having one every few hours or when she's stressed or after a meal, etc.... it may be a matter of finding replacements for those spots where it's most tempting to have another cigarette.
  7. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjay Senior Contributor

Beating any addiction is tough. Cold turkey is the most sure way to beat an addiction. But at the same time, it's by far the most difficult. Especially if she doesn't have any sort of substitute for the craving.

If she can't go the cold turkey method, she can try to ween herself out of it. Basically, using nicotine less and less by the day. It will let her body adjust. That combined with you supporting her might help her with the issue.