An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My History with Substance Abuse

Discussion in 'Alcohol' started by lin-duh, Oct 19, 2014.

1. lin-duh

lin-duh Member

Well, I have been drinking alcohol since I was 14. I am 26 now.

For several years, I went through a stage of being blacked-out drunk on a nightly basis. I wouldn't know when to stop, so I would drink as much as possible.

Fast forward a few years, and I was tired of it. I ended up "shacking up" with my now-fiance -- this was five years ago. He's not much of a drinker, so I really calmed down. I still drink a lot more than I probably should, but I've gotten a lot better at controlling it. For whatever reason, I'm not ready to let booze go completely, but I am proud of how far I have come.

My fiance went through some really bad substance abuse problems as well. He told me when we first got together that he was a recovering cocaine addict, but I didn't realize how bad it was. I thought he was done, but we went through hell and back for several years because he relapsed. He has been clean for several months now, but I'm honestly very nervous that he'll relapse again.

I'm hoping to find support here and get to know others who are looking for friends who understand these types of situations.
    Joseph likes this.
  2. cc1001

cc1001 Member

Yes I understand your situation. I had a heavy drinking problem when I was in college. I was away from my parents and free for the first time and went wild. It started slowly and gradually I became like you blacking out on a nightly basis. It lasted most of my college years and it is amazing that I even graduated. I decided I didn't want to be alcoholic and I stopped the heavy drinking but there were times after college I almost relapsed. Unfortunately I have family members who are struggling with drug and alcohol problems and in denial so it is painful to watch them and they are not seeking help. In conclusion I believe you will find support on this forum. This is one of my favorite forums and a great place to express your self.:)
    Joseph likes this.
  3. mimsee

mimsee Active Contributor

Hi lin-duh! First of all, even though you say yourself that you probably do still drink more than you should, congratulations on cutting it down even a little. Addiction is truly an illness and to have the mental stamina to be able to regulate yourself, even if it's just a little bit, is a huge victory for you.

As for your fiance' and his struggle with cocaine, I'm sure you can understand what he's going through and you are just what he needs to stay clean. You'll both do fine if you remain there for eachother and keep each other strong.

If you need any help or information there are tons of posts on the forum that can provide you with invaluable insight if you ever need it. Also, if you ever need personal advice, there are so many wonderful and caring people here who will do everything in their power to help you.
    Joseph likes this.
  4. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Thanks for sharing, lin-duh.
    Does he drink with you, by chance? The majority of cocaine addicts I know consider alcohol a major trigger for relapse.
  5. mimsee

Wow, really? That's actually new news to me! I had never heard of that before your comment and then reading the article on jsad.
    Jen S. likes this.
  6. HerrKaze

HerrKaze Member

You've certainly come to the right place. Browsing this website opened my eyes to a lot of important information which undoubtedly will come in handy for you, so be thorough, and you'll find all the answers you could want.
  7. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

I am glad you are trying to change your life for the better. It is a long and hard road, but in the end your life and quality of life is worth it. You will find a lot of understanding people here who have been where you are, so don't hesitate to ask for some help and encouragement.
    Jen S. likes this.
  8. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Hi. It is inspiring to hear of your progress. Carry on with it because that was what my brother in law went through. He was addicted to methamphetamine over 10 years back now. He used to take it because he was out of job and only my sister in law was earning for the family. He didn't have a sense of purpose and self-worth. At times, he was sleeping like a log that he wasn't even aware his 4-year old child had gone out of their house. But often, he was hyperactive doing so many things at once. When a former employer called on him to once again work on board ships which he truly liked, he focused on changing himself. Otherwise, he wouldn't pass the medical tests. Now, he's in a clean bill of health. So having a sense of direction in what he really loves to do did it for him. So I believe setting one's mind on realistic goals that bring about self-worth and true pleasure is one way to deviate from one's addiction one step at a time. All the best to you and to your fiance!
  9. MrMegistus

MrMegistus Member

Like everyone else has stated, it's very good that you have made the progress that you have. There is something about pulling through things that bind us down. I've had to go through substance abuse, but it didn't involve alcohol. I know how it is when life seems to come down heavy on a person and they feel the need to escape. That's what any substance abuse stems from, it seems: escapism. I can't speak for everyone when I say this, but majority of the time, a person who is abusing anything is trying to extract way too much pleasure from one thing, because they find an absence in other areas of their life.

Anyway, I am happy for you and wish you greater success.
  10. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

It's good to know that you're making some efforts in eliminating your addiction. I can't suggest anything specific for your husband, though, since I haven't experienced anything like this yet. I hope everything goes well.
  11. Jen S.

Jen S. Guest

Yep. I think a lot of us addicts get into trouble when we assume "alcohol was never my problem, so it's okay if I drink" because it impairs our judgment (making us much more likely to just get on with it and do our drug of choice), but there's a strong link between using/being around alcohol and cocaine relapse specifically.
    Joseph likes this.
  12. mimsee

I can see how that could definitely be a problem...but my mother always told me that you can't fight an addiction by forming another, because then you'll just be in this endless loop of addiction and your mind will never belong to you again. She was a smart one ^.^
  13. Askani

Askani Active Contributor

Most people don't realize how easy it is to trade one addiction for another also. I rarely drink and when i do it is in complete moderation. I have a few beers or two mixed drinks and then drink water for the rest of the night. I think really most addicts have to look at things as they are and know that anything can be addictive. When something gets to the point where it is taking over your life and damaging the good relationships in your life, it is bad for you. I have also seen many people fall off the wagon by drinking and then going back to using because their judgement is impaired. Once you stop, you stop completely and have to be on guard for anything that may impair your judgement.
    camsdad and Jen S. like this.