An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My husband is a meth addict

Discussion in 'General Substance Abuse Discussion' started by Blessingsflow, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Blessingsflow

Blessingsflow Member

Hello. I’m looking just for people to talk to as I can’t talk about this with anyone in my family . My husband has been a meth addict for over 20 years and has said multiple times that he wants to quit but never makes the steps to do so. He is a sweet kind loving man but unfortunately he is none of those things when he is high. He’s argumentive and dosent make any sense in the argument . He is just a complete different person. I don’t know what else to do. I can’t force him into rehab but I need a way to cope with his constant mood swings and evil attitude . Can anyone else relate ?
  2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

I can relate. Below is a link where help was available. CODA taught me that I cannot fix the addict. When I kept believing numerous times that the addict would get help, it was my way of trying to fix the addict. But here’s the shocking truth I learned about myself, believing the addict repeatedly, was my way of avoiding looking at myself and my codependent mental health issues. I finally leaned to release the addict in my life with love and not be the victim anymore, by taking care of myself.

http://coda.org/
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  3. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Community Champion

Due to me being addicted, I've been studying addiction for 40+years. Myself and others use to make excuses for my behavior when I was high, but it was pure ignorance on my part and theirs. One of the major things I learned about myself was that no amount of drugs can make me do anything that I'm morally and ethically incapable of doing when I'm not high. Being high can't create behavior that doesn't exist when I'm not high, it can only manifest what already exist, it's called mental and emotional issues. These issue are why I got addicted and when not addressed they remained and I remained addicted.
    Onceaddicted77 likes this.
  4. True concern

True concern Moderator

He get's high and becomes over confident to the point of arguing without any relevant argumentative points,am I stating that correctly?Also just curious.He has been addicted to meth for 20+ year's are there any other things about his meth use that you don't like,or is it just the arguing?How much meth does he consume daily?weekly?monthly?What avenue does he use to use the meth?How much money does he spend each week and or month on meth?Please if you can provide a little more information so all of us who read and respond have more to consider before we respond and it help us know what direction to go in the conversation.Thank you and welcome to the community. Stay Strong you are not alone