An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My husband was addicted to..

Discussion in 'Prescription Drugs' started by jess7077, Nov 26, 2014.

1. jess7077

jess7077 Member

Hi everyone,

I am on this forum because my husband was addicted to pain medication. He was injured at work and hurt his back. He took the pain medication to help ease the constant pain he felt. When his Grandma died, it just got worse. He started buying them off of the street.

After a while, it was a full blown addiction. He was taking more pills than I knew about. He would never just swallow them either. Snorting was his method and it was terrible to see. When I was growing up, I was never around drugs. I never cared to be and it put me in this weird place to see someone I loved so much doing this to their body. He did go into rehab for 90 days which really opened his eyes to the world he was missing/hiding from.

I hope to learn from this site and the warning signs of possible addictions (because something has been different with him lately and I have a feeling it is drug related again.)
  2. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

I just want to thank you for standing by your husband at his moment of pain and giving him all your love and support. Am sure it meant alot to him and seeing him through the rehab was an added plus on his side.What he's going through at the moment sounds to me like a relapse so i urge you to make arrangements to see a counselor as soon as is practically possible.
  3. GenevB

GenevB Community Champion

Well, congratulations to your husband! This is a pretty common way to get addicted, you get an injury, then doctors prescribe you pain medication, you get addicted to that after you injury has passed. I've never thought that you need 90 days to recover from this addiction, just make sure he never takes those pills again, because there's always the thought. Welcome to the forum!
  4. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Greetings jess7077,

Thanks for sharing your story on this forum. Definitely, snorting pain reliever pills is a sure sign of addiction; glad your husband went to ask for help.

I have a brother-in-law who was addicted to pain reliever pills, steroids, and liquor ethanol beverages due to his weight lifting hobby and back pains, and it drove him to be distant and angry at everything most of the time - he stopped the pill and steroids only after my sister Legally divorced him, which made him understand it was he that was destroying himself. My brother-in-law still drinks ethanol beverages, but it's mostly wine and beer now, plus he's mellowed out way more now than ever.

I hope your husband, jess7077, gets better in body and mind soon, because an addiction to pills are deadly.
  5. Rainman

Rainman Community Champion

If you suspect that your husband has started using drugs again then the following signs could indicate that he has gone back to using drugs:

- A sudden change in behavior should raise the red flag. Have you noticed something strange of late? If you have then maybe . . .

- Those doing drugs often opt to distance themselves from their family/spouses. This is to avoid discovery while they deny usage of a substance.

- His eyes could provide the answers you seek. Red, bloodshot eyes are a sign of trouble.

There are many other signs but the ones I've listed are the ones you can't fail to notice.
  6. maryannballeras

maryannballeras Senior Contributor

You must be a wonderful wife for choosing not to leave him, despite the things that you have been noticing. If you can, please talk to him directly and who knows? Maybe he'll open up. And when he does, I suggest that you seek professional help to make sure that it won't happen again.
  7. Davienna

Davienna Community Champion

I am sorry to hear your story my dear, first time I am hearing about the snorting of pain killers. Try to reach out to him as he may be hurting about something, as that was how he began doing it the first time. Become his best friend, let him know you understand, tell him your concerns and fears and if possible, have him talk with a professional counselor.
    Welcome my dear and there will be so many helpful people who can give you advice in regards to your current situation.
  8. Strykstar

Strykstar Active Contributor

You were very brave to stand by him, I imagine it must have been a very scary situation, especially once he started to resort to snorting the pills.
    Hopefully the rehab works and he doesn't fall back into his addiction.
  9. amethyst

amethyst Community Champion

Hi jess7077, in situations like yours, most people will tell you that you did a great job remaining by your husbands side. But I wonder who took care of you when you had to deal with your husbands addiction and erratic behavior? Where did you find energy and peace during those hard times?
    I often think about those who have to deal with something that they never had to face before in their life, such as how to "control" and persuade their spouse, child, or other close person, to stop hurting themselves and everyone around them.
  10. notodrugs

notodrugs Community Listener Community Listener

Welcome to the community! Thank you for sharing your story jess7077. That is an eye-opening piece. How can one really suspect that an innocent start with a medication that's supposed to relieve someone of pain can be the beginning of a troublesome addiction? It is painful to find out and devastating to watch as it goes on and on.

You have been through his addiction; hence, you can somehow detect if he's into it again. You know the red flags like mood swings, slurred speech, bloodshot eyes, lacking in motivation, deterioration in physical appearance and grooming habits, unusual hyperactivity on some instances, and the like.

The sooner you can talk to him about your concerns, the better. But try not to judge him, instead show your support and encouragement for him to get help. However, stay safe as well. Take care of yourself and your kids if you have. Talk to people you can trust to look after you and your kids. It is always good for trusted family and friends to know about your problem. Lean on them for support. And remember you can't force your husband to change. The decision should come from him. He has to be accountable for his own actions as this is a good way to recovery. The sooner you can do this, the better while he is not yet very involved in his addiction.

All the best to you!
  11. Miles Hansen

Miles Hansen Member

As a lot of others have said: Good on you for sticking by your husband in a time that must have been difficult for him. You are a great person, and your husband is lucky to have you!
    If you have concerns about your husband relapsing, perhaps talking to him about your concerns would be a help? I hope both of you figure it all out.
    All the best!
  12. Nate5

Nate5 Active Contributor

We need more people like you in this world, that just love a person through the bottom of their heart. Good on you for sticking with your husband in his time of need, and recognizing that he has an addiction. Some people may abandon them due to the stigma or stress from taking care of someone, but I think your husband is very lucky to have you. Have a look at the forums, and if you can't find anything, other parts of the internet are a great resource too!
  13. c9h2ua

c9h2ua Member

Sorry to hear your story. Just hard to image your feeling, you must be heart-broken.
    I hope your husband can be stronger and know how face different struggles by his own will.
    Tomorrow is going to be better!!:):)
  14. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

I am really sorry about the situation with your husband. By the looks of it, he really is in dire straits. Overcoming the pain appears to be the lesser evil than developing an addiction for the person taking the pills. Unfortunately, since pills are more easily obtainable and cheaper than hardcore drugs, it is impossible to tell whether the addicted is secretly gobbling them up left and right. When you do have visual confirmation though, maybe a second round of rehab is on the agenda. It's in your husband's best interest.