An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My inspiration

Discussion in 'Tobacco / Nicotine' started by Carnold23, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Carnold23

Carnold23 Community Champion

Smoking for me is like my evil best friend, who is always hurting me yet always there for me.
    Quitting has been a tough road, and I have to admit that I have failed a few times. I have trouble resisting temptation.
    I am trying my best, everyday to quit. My inspiration is a huge part of me quitting.
    My inspiration is my two beautiful kids. I want to live long enough to be there for them. Not only for their childhood and their young adulthood. I want to be there when they get married, be there when my grandchildren are born. I would love to live long enough to see my grandchildren graduate. I had my kids young so that is very possible, but I don't want smoking to take away all the years I have with my children. I don't want my kids to look back and remember me smoking. I don't want them to think of my smell and think of ciggarettes. Without them, I don't think I would be quitting. They are my motivation.
  2. L_B

L_B Community Champion

That is beautiful and I am sure that your children appreciate you quitting. They need to have their mommy around for a long, long time. I loved reading this. Well done.
  3. missbishi

missbishi Community Champion

Quitting smoking is hard, there's no denying that. It must have taken me at least ten attempts before I finally quit in January. So hang on in there, it can be done! Virtually everybody tries more than once, that's how addictive nicotine is. But you can get there in the end and the fact that you have some motivation should be a real help.
  4. lexinonomous

lexinonomous Community Champion

As a child that grew up with a mother that smoked, I'm positive your children appreciate your effort. It's so hard to see a parent doing something that you've been taught is wrong or unhealthy. Having your children as your inspiration is an excellent idea. This will help you throughout your journey because you'll always have to come home to them and realize that you're doing this for a reason. I wish you all the luck in the world. Quitting cigarettes is incredibly hard.
  5. Joethefirst

Joethefirst Community Champion

If ever you feel tempted again just remember this, you are the envy of all smokers. I have to yet meet a smoker that doesn't want to quit. I am still working up to it, but plan on joining you soon as a non smoker. :)
  6. Tsky45

Tsky45 Community Champion

This is a really good motivation for quitting. I think that not smoking would definitely increase your chances of living longer. Taking care of yourself now is the best thing to do. Like the saying goes a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Good Luck, you can do it.