An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My journey begins now

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by daniel, Feb 5, 2015.

1. daniel

daniel Member

Hello everyone.

My name is, as you can probably tell, Daniel. I'm 21 years old.

I've been smoking since I was 16 (White Marlboro, roughly a pack a day), plus I've started smoking marijuana in the last year. Last month some seriously screwed up scenarios happened in my family which made me look at my life. I'm 21! I have potential and I've finally decided to use it.

So I decided to turn my life around before I completely screw it up. So meet new Daniel. A guy who is smoking free since the beginning of this month (no cigs or drugs), actively looking to find a job and get my own place. It's about time.

Anyways, that's my story, but feel free to ask more if you're interested.

I'll see you around the forum!
  2. 4rainydays

4rainydays Member

Hello Daniel! Welcome to the forums :)
    We're all very supportive and nice here. Don't hesitate to ask any of us for advice.
    You're doing great so far! Can you share some tips on how you went smoke-free?
  3. daniel

daniel Member

Hey, thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, I'll be looking for advice probably.

Well, for me it was nothing special, I just had a good thought about all the cons and decided to stop. But I've been researching about it recently, I'll be on the outlook to help others, for sure.
    4rainydays likes this.
  4. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Welcome to the Forums! If you need anything, contact anyone here and we are here for you.
  5. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

Nice going! I always am a bit skeptic about people who talk about how weed can ruin someone's life, but it is more than true that weed smokers do not use their full drive and potential. I'm happy that you are doing your best! Keep working on it!
  6. valiantx

valiantx Community Champion

Awesome story daniel, it's always great to read younger people than I stop doing drugs in order to become a better human. And welcome to this forum, it's has helped me a lot and I hope it does for you too. Life is precious yet very fragile, and many humans simply are not aware or care about this logicl reasoning.
  7. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Welcome to the forum new Daniel. :)
    It is really nice to know that you managed to make your life better and good luck to your job hunting. Good thing you have realized that on such age.
  8. elles-belles

elles-belles Community Champion

Hey Daniel... wow, I have to say that I commend you for first of all realizing the great potential you have and deciding on a healthy and sober life! It showcases your maturity levels and definitely shows the determination! Thanks for sharing your story, although brief I believe that it will pull a lot of people around your age group to follow suit. Keep at it and hang on to your sobriety!
  9. KNH

KNH Active Contributor

Welcome to the forum, and congratulations. I am glad you realized that you are young and have so much potential.
  10. imperivm1

imperivm1 Community Champion

Hi, Daniel. Better start late than never. It's still far too early for you to give up on your dreams and aspirations. It's great that you've come to the realization that life's ahead of you. And don't worry if things don't work out at first, just be persistent. Sticking to your plans is key.
  11. Zyni

Zyni Community Champion

Welcome, Daniel. It's great to hear that you are moving in a better direction. Good for you! It sounds like you are well on your way to a better life. I wish you all the best.
  12. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

Welcome aboard Daniel ! It's always good to have new company in this forum. Whatever happened in your family to make you change from bad to good must have been something gigantic. All the same it's nice that you've kicked out your smoking habit and that you're focusing on laying a strong foundation in your life. Keep up the fight.
  13. CountryMom

CountryMom Member

Great job Daniel! I also recently quit smoking on my birthday December 15th. I have smoked cigarettes for about 28 years. It took me many attempts over the years, but I think finally have a grip on it. What do you do to keep busy so that you can fight off the cravings? I find that changing my regular behaviors as to when I would smoke have helped. For instance, instead of coming directly home after work, I go to the gym for an hour and it seems to help. Can't be a bad thing to replace a negative with a positive either. Good luck to you! You can do it.
  14. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello, Daniel. Welcome to the forum! :)

I am truly happy that you have finally realized that you are too young to mess up your life, so you decided to ditch drugs and cigs for good. Job well done! I agree. You are 21, you've got a bright future ahead of you, don't screw it up. I wish you all the best in life! ;)
  15. serenity

serenity Community Champion

That's good news. You have to be grateful that you are not as addicted to it as other people. Maybe you just like to smoke, but you can still survive without it. I'm happy that you have chosen the good and right path. Good luck to your future! I hope you get to find a job asap.
  16. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

The New Daniel. I like that. I hope you are continuing to do well and that you have found some success in your job search. You seempretty strong willed and determined and that's a good thing. I look forward to hearing more of your story. I believe many can be helped by hearing how you effected positive change in your life.
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  17. Johnsnow123

Johnsnow123 Active Contributor

Hi Daniel!, I'm so glad that you decided to turn your life around before things got worse! I'm so happy for you and I wish you the best of luck in the future. :)
  18. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 Community Champion

I think its great that you realise you have a problem and want to change things. So many people are in denial and try to make excuses for why they use different drugs. It looks like you are on your way. Good luck!
  19. anne16

anne16 Active Contributor

Hello to the new Daniel! Nice to meet you here. I am so happy for you. The "want to change" is the way to a brighter and better future for you. I hope and pray for you to have the courage and determination to continue on this path. I hope to see you more in this forum.
  20. xSentaru

xSentaru Active Contributor

Hey there, Daniel! Glad to hear you've had no problems overcoming your smoking addiction. I can unfortunately tell you that I'm still kind of addicted, but I have roughly 1 or 2 cigs per week now. I'm on my way to full recovery and soon I hope to achieve one of my dreams, to never touch a cig again.