An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My journey

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Faygo1224, Sep 21, 2015.

1. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

I was always one to shun drugs growing up. My mother and father were heavy drinkers and smokers. This was something I did not agree with and could never understand......Until I got out on my own.

After joining the Army and never touching alcohol a day in my life, I began to drink everyday after work. I didn't see a problem with it as everyone else was doing it and it seemed to be the norm. I didn't think it was much of a problem considering I was deployed to Iraq and couldn't drink. I was ok with that at the time.

Fast forward to the end of my deployment and coming back home, I immediately picked up on my old habits again , except this time I was much more deep into drugs. I began experimenting with opiates, Lortabs to be exact. I felt like it was the only thing to help calm me down and have a good day. I began taking about 7 a day. My face became gaunt, I was irrational and there was a great change in me.

My superiors began to notice the change in me and I was confronted about it. Since I didn't want to get kicked out, I lied and said everything was ok. That was until I had a urinalysis and failed it miserably.

Thankfully however, I was not kicked out and instead was sent to an outpatient facility to help with my addiction. After 1 year of treatment, I was back to my old self. I can honestly say that since 2009 I have been 100% sober. I thank my unit, family and friends for sticking by my side through my recovery. Without them, I couldn't have done it!
    SharkyJen998 likes this.
  2. jeremy2

jeremy2 Community Champion

What made you get into drugs? Was it the effect of War and the constant tension being in a battle zone? All the same am glad that you were able to finally kick out that habit and you've remained clean ever since. You've gone full cycle and you're finally free at last.
  3. Jamesbonner

Jamesbonner Active Contributor

Wow that's really a touching story, I'm really glad that you had friends and family that could be your support and helps you to bypass your addiction :) congratulation and keep doing good man !
  4. Winterybella

Winterybella Community Champion

I'm glad you did it and happy that your journey brought you here. I can't begin to imagine what your experience in Iraq was like. My hope is that your experience serves to help someone who might be struggling with addiction or someone who just needs to know there is always hope amidst adversity. I look forward to hearing more from you and welcome you to the forum.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  5. amin021023

amin021023 Community Champion

Your story was motivating, now that you know all about opiate and adictions, the best thing you could do I think is to help others who are in need and struggling with their addiction, this way you get a lot of confidence and might be a source of income.
  6. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there @Faygo1224! Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your success story to us here. Wow, you must be very proud of yourself for a job well done! I am pretty sure a lot of recovering addicts would find your journey to recovery really inspiring. All the best! :)
  7. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Faygo1224... Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing. I'm so happy that you've been sober since 2009. That's so great! And what a fabulous thing that you were offered treatment instead of punishment. Society needs to adopt the same philosophy!

Thanks again for sharing. I'm glad you're here. :)
  8. L_B

L_B Community Champion

Welcome to the group and thank you for taking the time to share your story with us. I am so glad to hear that you were able to get your life cleaned up and that you have been clean since 2009. That is wonderful! I was also happy to here that you didn't lose your job was instead was provided the help that you needed to get your life back. You are a true inspiration!!
    deanokat likes this.
  9. Faygo1224

Faygo1224 Active Contributor

Thank you all for your kind words! I am so glad I found this place. I hope to get to know everyone better and help someone out who's gone through the same thing I did. Thank you again!
    deanokat likes this.
  10. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015 Community Champion

This is an inspiring story!! I'm glad that you got the help you need instead of just being kicked out with no resources at all. I don't know what it like having to be in the army or anything like that but it must be stressful.
  11. ReadmeByAmy

ReadmeByAmy Community Champion

@Faygo1224 ... You had a very inspiring success life story and thank you for sharing it in this forum so that it can be a good insight for those still struggling with addiction and for those who are bothered and had worries for their love ones who are also into addiction. This just only shows that there is really no permanent thing in this world except "CHANGE"....And you had proven that to yourself that is why it is really amazing and congratulations! Continue motivating yourself and all the best of luck!
    deanokat likes this.
  12. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

Thanks for sharing your journey with us! It takes courage to admit that you did something wrong in the past. I am glad that you are stronger now and you have been sober for all of those years. It takes so much to accomplish that and I just wanted to remind you that you are doing good so you should feel proud of yourself!
  13. serenity

serenity Community Champion

I'm glad that you have finally given up your addiction and you are now clean, you've done a great job! For sure your story will inspire others who are going through the same struggles. Keep on inspiring people!
  14. SharkyJen998

SharkyJen998 Active Contributor

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story with us. I think it is interesting that you were able to go your entire deployment without drinking but then return to the habit once you were home.

While you were deployed, did you withdrawal from alcohol? Was it easier to set aside with alcohol not being available to you? Why do you think you started again once you got home?

I am really happy to hear your outpatient treatment was successful. What made you not use once you were released from treatment?