An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My lungs are probably begging me to change my ways

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by takeshifujimoto, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Hey everyone. I've been addicted to tobacco (cigarettes) for only a year now but I really want to quit. I think the hardest part of quitting is that I have friends that smoke (A LOT) and they smoke around me. I've tried my best to quit on multiple occasions but to no success. I know a year doesn't seem like a long time, but I remember very clearly a younger me swearing that I would never get into this addiction. I started during college, mainly because of peer pressure and stress. Anyway, if there are any of you who have had success with quitting tobacco? If so, let me know and I'll try it out. Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Cheeky_Chick

Cheeky_Chick Community Champion

Many people say that they will never get addicted to smoking, only to realise that it really isn't that simple, and that many things can cause an addition even though you never imagined yourself being "that person" at all. It's good that you have realised that you have a problem now, though, as it means that you will be able to get yourself some help and hopefully turn your life around for the better. I know a great number of people who have managed to kick an addiction and stay off the cigarettes for the long term, so it is certainly worth trying your best, because there is every chance that you will be able to succeed in what you're trying to do.
    takeshifujimoto likes this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@takeshifujimoto... Kudos to you for wanting to quit smoking after only a year. Quitting will undoubtedly save your health, and maybe even your life. Not to mention a whole lot of money.

I quit smoking almost 25 years ago. Back in those days I think the only cessation aid was nicotine gum, which I tried one of the several times I attempted to quit. I didn't like it. I was smoking fewer cigarettes, but I was still hooked on nicotine.

The only method that worked for me was quitting cold turkey. It was tough for about a week, but after that it got easier and easier. Some of the things I did to help me through the rough period include riding my bike every day; sucking on a lot of hard candy (and suckers, which helped with the physical act of holding something); drinking A TON of water (which helps flush out your system); taking showers when I was home and got the urge to smoke (don't laugh...it worked because you can't smoke in the shower).

Others may have better suggestions for you. I hope you're able to kick the habit and stay away from cigarettes for the rest of your life. Quitting smoking is still one of the best things I ever did for myself...and for my family.
  4. EditorsRHumansToo!

EditorsRHumansToo! Community Champion

Welcome
    Welcome @takeshifujimoto! You've taken the first step of self-awareness about your smoking habit--which, you prefer to put a stop to it before it's too late. I agree with @deanokat's workable ways to quit smoking. Take it one step at a time, retrospectively. I wish you well and courage!
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  5. bluedressed

bluedressed Community Champion

My boyfriend finally stopped smoking. But before he let go of the excuses ("I just smoke a few anyway", "Quitting tobacco is harder than heroine for many", "X or Y situation just makes me wanna smoke"), he did not and could not.

At some point, it's a matter of making sure your will is strong enough and that you will have enough discipline to follow through -- not just when it's easy, but also when it's hard (which, after you go through that, are the moments who feel the most gratifying). From my own personal point of view, I never had any real addiction, but I recently stopped eating meat a few months ago, which was something I was inching towards, but it was not until I made my resolve clear vs my excuses and my comfort that I could do it. In the first month, I did tell myself I was just trying it out. And since, I've eaten meat a few times (if it would get wasted by others), and many times it's hard as hell. I mean, I love the taste. It's grilling season. Most people around me eat it.

But motivation is a muscle and it actually feels very good on my body, is cheaper than eating meat like I did before, and I feel much stronger (mentally) for taking up the challenge.

I mean, it's your call. Today I read a pretty cool quote on a Reddit fitness thread. Something like, "Suffer the pain of discipline or the pain of regret, your choice". Maybe it can move you like it moved me.
  6. bluedressed

PS: and like people say, self-awareness is good. You should take into consideration the fact that, if you are the kind of person (for now) to go against your long-held values (of no smoking) because of peer pressure and a stressful environment, you might have all the more reason to go through pains to take back control of your habits etc. before one stray decision becomes many and then become your way of life.
  7. bang.h

bang.h Member

Congratulation on wanting to take the initiative on quitting! :)

Have you try the nicotine replacement patch and gum together? Some of my friends use them together when they know they are about to hangout with smoking groups.
  8. Hey Deanokat, thanks so much for your feedback. I've tried quitting before (cold turkey) but the withdrawal was always too much for me to handle, but I really think it's just a mental thing. One of the biggest things that is stopping me from quitting is the fact that most of my close friends smoke. I guess I'll just have to surround myself with people who will agree to support me with the change I'm trying to make. As a college student, it really is a huge additional financial burden that I really don't want to have to deal with anymore. Thanks again and I hope you have a great day. :)
    deanokat likes this.
  9. Thank you so much for replying, and for your kind words. I've come to realize that it really is just a mental thing and it's up to me to change it. Easier said than done in most cases but I believe in myself. :)
  10. Thank you so much, and yes I'm actually planning to take it a step at a time, and I'm going to ask my family members to support me the whole way, which I'm sure they will. Thanks again!
  11. hi! congratulations to your boyfriend for quitting! I'm getting there myself. and I also am actually thinking of quitting eating meat myself, I've already stopped eating pork and I try to stick to fish and other seafood for now, but eventually I'd like to go full vegan. Really just trying to change my life from multiple angles. Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it a lot. :)
  12. Hey, thanks for the feedback. No, I haven't tried nicotine gum or patches. I don't think I'm willing to go to that route because I want to kick the nicotine addiction all together instead of supplementing it with an alternative source. Nevertheless I thank you kindly for your advice and I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Cheers! :)
  13. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@takeshifujimoto... Maybe cutting down gradually would work. Set a goal each day or each week to limit yourself to X number of cigarettes. And lower your goal daily or weekly. Couldn't hurt to try, right? I wish you all the luck in the world, man. Freeing yourself of cigarettes will be very liberating!
  14. bluedressed

Man, today I just had seitan-steaks for the first time, and I was floored at how it felt like meat from the texture and the taste. Like, I used to love meat, but this kind of weirded me out in a way. Hahaha. I mean, it was good, but my brain was going like, "Wtf is going on here, we said no more meat!". I could not really point out what meat texture it was close to -- a bit chicken, a bit pulled pork maybe, but basically, it was one weird experience. I think even people who love meat could try it and use that to calm the cravings.
  15. This is actually my first time to hear about that. What exactly is a seitan steak? I've tried a whole bunch of tofu-based meat replacements and other stuff but none of them come close to tasting like actual meat lol.
  16. bluedressed

Seitan is this japanese word that designs wheat gluten; the whole thing appeared in China and got very popular there and in Japan like, in the 6th century. Basically not for you if you have celiac disease, but otherwise, it's so amazing! The texture! I mean, I think compared to tofu, the taste and possibilities are better -- I have never been too impressed with tofu based meat imitations so far -- but on the other side, you don't really get proteins and stuff from gluten, so there's that.

It's expensive so I guess I'll buy it more like a treat (or when I'm really craving something meaty!), but who knows, maybe learning to make it is worth it!
  17. MyLife

MyLife Member

I used Chantix to quit almost 6 years ago. It worked wonders for me. I worked in a job full of smokers. I lived with a smoker. It wasn't easy. I felt cheated when all my fellow employees would take a smoke break every hour and I could no longer take those same breaks as them. I felt that I was working harder and longer than them. Everyone I lived with smoked too. They would always be on the porch visiting and laughing and I felt excluded and left out.

The amazing thing I found with Chantix is that I knew I was irritable because I was coming off the nicotine but I just didn't think about smoking. I knew that I "needed" a drag to make me feel better, but it helped to boost my self esteem and willpower and helped me convince myself that I didn't need to smoke. It did make me have some crazy dreams. But I liked them. You are not supposed to take it if you are already dealing with depression because it can exasperate the effects.

If you call the company that makes it, they will send you coupons to help cover some of the costs. Good luck!
  18. Interesting. I may have to look more into this, thanks!
  19. I'm glad you were able to quit. :) I can relate to what you said about being surrounded by smokers. That's the part that made it really difficult for me to quit.
  20. gracer

gracer Community Champion

Hello @takeshifujimoto! :) I have also been a smoker once in my life. I started when I was in 4th year high school until I was already working. The more stress I had, the more cigarettes I would smoke. Not to mention the bigger number of cigarettes I smoke whenever I was out in the bar with my friends. My life was like that until I finally had my own family and I got pregnant. That's when everything changed. My family and the love I had for them motivated me to stop all my vices and live a clean, healthier, sober life. Now I've been free of cigarettes for years now and never will I go back to my old ways.

I guess all I can advice you to do is to find your biggest inspiration to motivate you on changing. Having the motivation and passion to change will help you start and continue on with the journey towards sobriety. Use them as your instrument in wanting to change and one day you'll finally achieve the sobriety you've been longing for.
    deanokat likes this.