An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My lungs are probably begging me to change my ways

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by takeshifujimoto, Jul 1, 2015.

1. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

It is really better to quit early than later and nice that you are wanting to quit. :)
    I do not smoke and have not tried smoking. My grandmother used to smoke several sticks daily for maybe more than 10 years and just decided to stop smoking and that was it. She had a strong self control and able to quit without intervention or anything. But that could not works for everyone since we are different, maybe you can try joining support groups and find more motivation to totally quit smoking.
  2. JohnBeaulieu

JohnBeaulieu Community Champion

I know it's the last thing people like to hear, but if you are surrounded by people that are using a substance you are addicted to maybe you should ask them not to use around you or find different people to surround yourself with. I know that doesn't seem practical or kind, but it's the truth. It is the same for any other drug addiction.
    deanokat likes this.
  3. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@zaerine... Please do me a favor and NEVER try smoking. NEVER EVER. Thank you. :)
  4. deanokat

Well said, @JohnBeaulieu. If people can't show a little consideration, maybe it's best to not hang around them.
  5. zaerine

zaerine Community Champion

Hi. Definitely I will never try smoking and just the smell of it makes me hate it more and more. :)
    deanokat likes this.
  6. serenity

serenity Community Champion

It seems really hard for smoking addicts to quit. My bro tried to quit smoking and he just opted for an e-cig, and he wasn't successful with it. In your case, since you don't want to try those alternative pacifying methods, then I think you just need to have a strong will to get started and just stop buying cigarettes.
  7. LilAnn

LilAnn Community Champion

you already have me beat out. I haven't even convinced myself I want to quit... and its been 22 years for me. Good luck!
  8. ZXD22

ZXD22 Senior Contributor

One of my friends said he would never get into smoking, and now he is smoking 2 packs a day which is very sad. He has been trying to quit like you very hard, but to no success. I'll let you know if he has any success in the future though.
  9. deanokat

@LilAnn... I am sending special high-intensity quit-smoking vibes your way!!!!!!! Watch out!!!!!!!!!
    LilAnn likes this.
  10. LilAnn

haha I need them, that's for sure! Thank you, and I'll take whatever vibes you want to send my way! Well, the good ones anyway lol
    deanokat likes this.
  11. StimsJstCz

StimsJstCz Member

I smoked for 2 years, starting at the end of high-school, and quit in my sophomore year of college. At my worst I think I was at about a pack a day. Smoking was ruining my cloths, my car, my health, and my finances. So, I decided to just go completely cold turkey one day. It didn't work at at first, I think I went a month before I relapsed hard, but obviously that was not acceptable. I really needed to quit somehow, so I started doing research into addiction psychology and read every paper I could find with relevant information. Then I created a plan to occupy my mind constantly and started smoking ecigs to reduce the cigarette cravings . With the latter, I would drop the nicotine amount every week until eventually I could just stop. That's just my anecdotal story anyway. I'm sure with enough research you could create a method to quit that works well for you.
    deanokat likes this.
  12. LilAnn

smart move quitting when you did!! I applaud your motivation, and will to do it. I seriously lack either of those. So I can appreciate when I see someone with both, lol
    deanokat likes this.
  13. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

Welcome to the forums! Please please please listen to your lungs! It is so important to take care of your body because it is really the most important thing you have.
  14. Matthodge1

Matthodge1 Community Champion

You don't lack it, I promise. You just have to find the reasons to stay committed to quitting.
  15. harold

harold Community Champion

Quitting smoking will be entirely to your advantage. The first thing you need to realize is the fact that quitting won't merely come from a speech you will make. It does not happen like that. If you really want to quit smoking, then you must determine from your heart to do so. Nothing is impossible when the determination comes from the heart. The next thing is that you need to practice self discipline. You need to learn to resist the urge to smoke. This will be a very difficult part of the quitting process. I suggest that you work with someone, if you find out that you can't control the urge to smoke. Quitting smoking is a battle that you can win, but you need to take some tough decisions and practice self discipline. You will be glad you did. I wish you the best and I hope you come back here to tell us how you succeeded with this challenge.
  16. Zimbitt

Zimbitt Senior Contributor

Having friends that smoke makes it so much more complicated, probably inform them you are trying to quit and they will leave you alone when they go to smoke.
    deanokat and LilAnn like this.
  17. LilAnn

@Zimbitt is right. There probably isn't anyone who won't respect your quitting. And anyone who doesn't respect it are the kind of people you don't want to be around.
    deanokat likes this.
  18. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25 Community Champion

Hello there @takeshifujimoto! Welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story to us here. Well, it's good to know that you are now considering quitting smoking for good. That's a huge step towards recovery. Well, to be able to successfully overcome your addiction, you have to let go of other people who would be some sort of a bad influence to you. If you cannot ditch them, just avoid hanging out with them all the time. Also, keep your focus and always think about your goals. Best of luck! :)
    deanokat likes this.