An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My mom is a drug addict

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Mommy's Girl, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Mommy's Girl

Mommy's Girl Member

My mom has been on and off cocaine for over 30yrs. I love her soo much and this addiction demon has been latched to her for sooo long and I know she's sick. She is currently homeless staying on her different friends couches. I wish I could have her live with me but I live with my dad at the moment, until I find a apartment.
    Where is a womens home or group home for women struggling with addiction who are homeless??? She hasn't worked in years but she went to Columbia College and worked at the Post office years ago. After she got into drugs everything went downhill from there. I just want her to be okay. She wants to work but has a background. I need help for her
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Mommy's Girl

Hello there and welcome to the Forum. I'm sorry that your mother is struggling with addiction. I'm sure this has been challenging for her and the family over the years. I'm not quite sure about a woman's home or group home for women struggling. I suggest that you call your local Social Services Agency and ask them if there is such a program. You could look for the Department of Social Services or perhaps even a mental health agency just to call and ask them for information. I do hope that there is some sort of program that can help her.
    Mommy's Girl and deanokat like this.
  3. Jai50

Jai50 Senior Contributor

Start by saying she is lucky to have someone on her side. If your mother wants help there are many places that will help if u look on line. Bottom line is it's up to her to get the help she needs. I'm a recovering addict and the only person that got me to stop was me. I also know that if I didn't have my kids and family on my side I probably would still be out there. So don't stop trying and I wish u the best.
    Mommy's Girl and deanokat like this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

@Mommy's Girl... Welcome to the community, my dear. I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's situation. Having a loved one who struggles with addiction is an extremely challenging and emotional thing. I think @Dominica has given you the best advice. Get in touch with your local Social Services agency and see if they can offer some suggestions that could help your mom. That's what they're there for.

I'm praying for your mom. And for you. I hope things can get better for her very soon. Please know that we are here to help, support, and listen. Reach out anytime, okay?
    Mommy's Girl likes this.
  5. Mommy's Girl

Mommy's Girl Member

Thankyou. I'm taking in all the feedback and love I'm receiving‚̧ I have been following up on the services.
    True concern and Dominica like this.
  6. Mommy's Girl

Mommy's Girl Member

Thankyou
  7. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Mommy's Girl Wonderful you've been following up!! Yay! Know that we are always here for you.
    deanokat and True concern like this.
  8. True concern

True concern Community Champion

I am happy to hear you are following up with social services and I also know the quality of the help you get from them depends on the state you live in,although I don't know how having a record may play into that.There are also church's that help with thing's like hotel and food vouchers,I pray it work's out for the both of you and your mom is just as lucky to have you as you are to have her.STAY STRONG AND GOD BLESS
    deanokat likes this.