An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My name is Chris, hi

Discussion in 'Share Your Story Here' started by Chris33, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Chris33

Chris33 Member

hi, my name is Chris. I got clean from a severe crack and heroin addiction 8 months ago. I had to move areas to get away from my habit. Things started to get quite bad recently, I am getting severe cravings that simply do not go away for my drugs of choice, am quite isolated in my new area, and am in a bad severe depression, and don't get pleasure from anything. I am worried I am either going to relapse into active addiction or hurt myself. I am beside myself with this constant depression . Thanks for listening

Chris X
    True concern likes this.
  2. True concern

True concern Community Champion

Isolation fuels cravings as addicts,the more we isolate the smaller the world appears,which in turn leaves us remembering what brought our "small world"happiness.You need to take hat craving outside and go somewhere you don't go,somewhere beautiful, peaceful, the beach,lake,park,theme park,etc.Leave your comfort zone,you already see your comfort zone is about to push you over the edge.Talk to stranger's, say hello,how are you,etc.I use to be super anti social and when I felt weak sometimes I would go to places as common as a grocery store and do easy thing's like say hey how you doing today,or ask if they know where something is located in the store,just listening to other's in the simplest ways helped me realize my worries were created falsely by my own mind.Escape your norm,try branching out regardless of how stupid it sounds or feels...Human interaction helps and if your scared your going to hurt yourself please call the suicide hotline or go to the emergency department immediately. STAY STRONG AND GOD BLESS
    deanokat likes this.
  3. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Chris33

Hello and welcome. I'm sorry that things are getting bad and that your Cravings are intense. In the area that you now live, what sort of support system can you set up for yourself? It's going to be tough to fight those Cravings just on your own, especially if you're isolated. But I think you already know that. We are certainly here to listen and encourage you, but sometimes you need face to face support. Whether that's a support group, a counselor, maybe even an outpatient treatment center to work on this. To work on getting through the cravings and learning various life coping skills. Or whatever other issues, such as your depression that you might be dealing with. Start doing some research and some homework and see what's available in your immediate area. I know not everyone is up for 12-step group, but often times they are the best choice because they are free.

There's also plenty of online resources, such as YouTube videos or books on addiction recovery. Take some time each day and devote to your recovery--- not just from addiction, also just life in general. A serious inner journey.

Please know that we're here and we love to know more about you.
    True concern likes this.
  4. deanokat

deanokat DrugAbuse.com Community Organizer Community Listener

Welcome to the forum, @Chris33. I'm sorry you're struggling, but I'm glad you reached out. That's a huge thing and I'm proud of you for doing it. @True concern and @Dominica have given you some excellent suggestions and insight. I agree with everything they said. I think support group meetings would be great for you, and if there aren't any in your area, or if you don't feel like attending in-person, try an online meeting. That's a great place to start. (You can find online meetings here: https://www.intherooms.com)

We're here for you, my friend. We will listen without judgment and help and support you however we can. You are not alone.

Sending you lots of strength, hope, and encouragement.
    Dominica likes this.
  5. True concern

True concern Community Champion

@Chris33 I may have forgot to mention 10 month's ago my recovery started Right here on this site,these people are absolute life savers.Have a beautiful day
    Dominica and deanokat like this.
  6. Dominica

Dominica Author, Writer, Recovery Advocate Community Listener

@Chris33 hey there! hope you're doing alright. would love to hear back from you when you get a chance!
    True concern and deanokat like this.