An American Addiction Centers Resource

New to the DrugAbuse.com Forums?Join or

My Neighbor Was Making Meth!

Discussion in 'Methamphetamine / Meth' started by melody, Feb 16, 2016.

1. melody

melody Active Contributor

It is hard to believe that suburbia could become the place that meth is made. There is nothing worse than having your street tapped off, and having to evacuate as they clear a meth lab. You would assume that meth labs are only found in poor areas and near farmland, and that is just not so. I live in a quite, and safe neighborhood, just to find out that one of my neighbors was making meth. He was the quiet guy on the street, the one we all thought was so respectful and helpful. None of us ever suspected this.
  2. Mara

Mara Community Champion

Oh my! You wouldn't really know what a person can do judging by just their outward appearance. It's a good thing that he was caught and his operation has been found out right away. Having a meth lab in the vicinity is dangerous, not just because of the fumes that are produced with the process of making meth, but also because of the fact that accidents such as explosions can happen any time.
  3. melody

I think that they evacuated everyone because they were concerned about an explosion. Nothing happened, of course, but I am glad that they decided to be safe than sorry. My neighbor really is a nice guy, I hope that they can get him whatever help it is that he needs.
  4. GettingBetter

GettingBetter Senior Contributor

Wow that is wild! They found a house not far from my office that was used as a meth lab and they ended up destroying the whole property and still haven't built anything there. There were a lot of toxic by-products on the lot. Did you ever notice any strange scents or anything like this from his house? I thought there is often a smell associated with this?
  5. Shenwil

Shenwil Senior Contributor

I have come to start expecting the unexpected in this day and age. I don't put anything past anyone. I just go through each praying that I don't have to come in contact with people who are like this. I rather know who you are up front.​
    melody likes this.
  6. Mara

Mara Community Champion

It's a good thing that nothing untoward happened to your neighborhood. I really feel sorry for your neighbor. You said that he's a nice guy. I just can't imagine what drove him to cook meth in his home.
  7. fgtb34r

fgtb34r Member

I suppose the best cover for a meth lab is in a suburban neighborhood. I would imagine law enforcement is pretty keen to people doing it in shacks or sheds out in the woods. Interesting to think of the amount of neighborhoods that might be in a similar situation. Sorry to hear that a good neighbor will probably be lost due to this, hope he can get some help.
    melody likes this.
  8. doatk22

doatk22 Community Champion

It can be people you'd least expect. What ever happened to the guy? I hope he got help. That had to be very humiliating as well and surreal.
  9. melody

He is serving time as far as I know. I think one of the worst thing about it was that it turned out he was the one who had stolen my missing trash can... and used it for something nefarious, I am sure. I wasn't going to go and ask for it back from the cops, or his family after everything that went down.
  10. kgord

kgord Community Champion

Wow, that is wild, it kind of sounds like Breaking Bad, but in real life. I mean who would have suspected mild mannered chemistry teacher Walter White of being a meth manufacturer? I would be astounded if that would happen in this neighborhood as most of the people are older, somewhat well to do, and straight arrows as far as I can tell. How much can we really know another person though?
  11. Tremmie

Tremmie Community Champion

Woah! I think those who do dare to do such a thing are kind of cuckoo to be honest. I mean, look at the pics of those people who did something wrong while making it! All disfigured, some of them are unrecognizable. How sad an addiction pushes you to do such a horrible thing... risking your own life and the life of your loved ones. How terrible.
  12. sillylucy

sillylucy Community Champion

I know how scary it can be when meth hits that close to home. My neighbor's son was doing meth in his backyard for years. I had just found out and should have known because he got so skinny and he was stealing money from his dad's business. His poor father came over and asked me for some legal advice. It was very heartbreaking.
  13. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Community Champion

One false move and that place could of gone off like a roman candle. Also the smell that comes off the line is real bad. That place need to be totally sanitized and now the property value of the said home has dropped and might of brought down everyone else's property value as well.
  14. Sparkster

Sparkster Community Champion

Well, they say it's the quiet ones you have to watch! Maybe this explains why he was so quiet. He was probably being respectful, polite and helpful in order to deter any suspicion. He certainly must have been a bit paranoid about what he was doing. This really is bad news though. Not only can one slip cause a major explosion but the fumes from manufacturing meth are also potentially lethal and is much more dangerous than the meth itself.
  15. SashaS

SashaS Community Champion

What a strange occurrence! I agree on what Sparkster says about the quiet ones being the ones you have to watch. Where I live, neighbors never talk to each other and we don't even know the people next door to those next door to us, mainly because in South Africa every house has high walls around them and most people are too bitter to each other to talk. This is why it's easy here for people to do these kind of things. I just wouldn't expect it in a community where people know each other and actually have the decency to communicate! At least he was caught. The situation could have gone bad and people could have been injured if an accident occurred.